PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 548.99 MB
Roundhouse model

Hi,
I've recently taken on a small project to build a model of an iron age roundhouse for use in a school session at the museum I work for. As the use of paper on this project will be minimal I thought I'd start a thread in this section instead.
The model needs to be 'constructable' by children ageing from 7 upwards, to help them appreciate the kind of dwelling in use some 2,500 years ago in Britain, and across Europe I suppose. Hopefully the steps in construction will show the different stages that would have happened in real-life.
Being for children it's got to be pretty durable, so I'm starting with a wooden base with a circle of holes drilled in it for the posts, which will be made of metal, covered with milliput to simulate wooden posts. That's where I've got to so far, other than adapting a photo of some wattle fencing and stripping the paint off some Britain's farmyard figures that will be adapted.
More updates soon.
Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Roundhouse model-roundhouse.jpg   Roundhouse model-20161017_163121.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking good

Tim
Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
That kind of "roundhouse", I was thinking about something to do with choo-choos (to irritate my railfan buddies). Still looks interesting so will follow along.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
What an interesting project. Kooks to be fairly large to accommodate features you have indicated. Any idea of a scale or will there be one?
Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM

Well the figures are 32nd scale and it's at the smaller end of the size range, scaling out at about 18 feet across. In terms of the interior I'll just be putting down a rough floor and then there'll be a hearth they can position in the middle, maybe a woodpile and anything else I can think of. Then there'll be a man and woman, and a dog which will look something like an Alsation. I'm going to try dyeing fine sawdust and mixing it with PVA to represent the grass and mud.
Julian
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 PM

This should amuse my wife.....
Attached Thumbnails
Roundhouse model-20161017_201033.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, tawnyman.

You've taken on an interesting project, there. I believe my Scandihoovian ancestors also lived in housing similar to this. You may have to build your Roundhouse out of Unobtainium if wee primates are to get their opposable thumbs on it.

Be sure to tell the little tykes that thatched roofs were often full of mice, and mice would occasionally fall on you while you were sleeping. That'll make 'em squirm.

My grandmother used to say, "Head for the roundhouse, they can't corner you there." Toward the end, grandma was a bit doolally.

Best of luck,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Julian:
Will this be an Educational Model that comes apart in pieces so that it can be reused time and again? other wise what about the stright card stock model that they make themselves. my wife the museum Educator just said bet it is fourth graders and a detailed card model is too advanced what about a one pager in Black and white color themselves.
Thoughts from across the pond,
Miles
Old 10-18-2016, 04:48 AM

Yes, that's correct, the sessions comprise of school classes that will be coming in to learn about prehistoric times and one of their tasks will be to assemble the roundhouse from the kit of parts. It will be fairly easy, even for 7 year olds - my 6-year old son is the tester.
I shall be sure to mention the mice - if mice can get into a modern loft then I'm sure they got into roundhouse thatch!
Julian
Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.29 MB
Talking Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
That kind of "roundhouse", I was thinking about something to do with choo-choos (to irritate my railfan buddies). Still looks interesting so will follow along.
***WARNING --- off topic***

LOL, I find it interesting that everyone still calls them Choo-Choos. My kids teach my grandkids choo choo choo choo for train sounds. AND... a train hasn't made those sounds for over the past 50 years. (I do remember as a child, my Dad would "pace" trains and I would be fascinated by all of the parts moving every which where in a symphony of motion.)

Thanx for the chuckle Whulsey!

Scooter