PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Glad you are still enjoying it!

Like the picture. For queues you need to go and land at Heathrow. Though in real life you probably would not be allowed!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Don - the two vehicles I found at Services "shellhole", and amazingly they have not yet been stolen (or parts thereof) for scrap. Excellent condition - a Crusader MKII and a M3A1 Stuart.

I will post some pics - somewhere in the Forum. Do we need an armour section I wonder? Or is there one I have missed!

---------------------------------

Mike - very nice DC4. In brilliant condition.... Nice it is still in the air.

And I see in front of the DC4 someone's pride and joy, yes? But Mike, where are the registration markings or is it masquerading as a CIA COIN aircraft?
"N" is there, hehehehheheeeee... N999SN located on the fuselage forward of tail-feathers, hidden for photos purposes.

The DC-4 is actually pointing at another fuel hauler, much older one at that. Could not fit the C-46 Commando in the frame. I have some photos on my computer somewhere, I'll look for them and post a few. Was able to crawl up inside the Commando, took plenty of pictures of the cockpit.

These old iron birds haul fuel out to the villages all over Alaska.

Friends with the C-46 pilot, he has a yellow RV-6A (nose-dragger version) like my plane. He has more horse power than mine as well. (180hp vs., 160hp)

Mike
Old 09-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Eternal Member

I look forward to seeing the pictures Mike.

Meanwhile here is another pic from last Tuesday - an Embraer S.A EMB-120ER being pushed back for take-off. The pilot is clutching at the window for some reason!

Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-embraer.jpg  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
What neat thread this is!

I thought that must be Mike's airplane in the DC-4 shot and am glad to have that confirmed.

Kevin - Many thanks for posting that superb photo of the roadside Stuart in my Happy Birthday thread. Very classy!

Jim Baker (WVA) also posted a photoshopped image of a Vietnam era O-1 flying over a field with the words, "Happy Birthday Don" inscribed. I take this as a homage to my days in Korea in 1963 as a 1st Cavalry Division aerial observer with many hours with a big heavy camera in the back seat of an L-19. I have a connection with the Vietnam-era O-1, too, since the recon airplane that supported (inter alia) our battalion was SHOTGUN 15, flown by then 1LT Ned Moore, with whom I have recently gotten back in touch. And one of the Forward Air Controller pilots, RAAF Wing Commander Rex Ramsey (ASCOT 9) once gave me a ride in his O-1 as he put in air strikes on the coast. He also once radioed as he flew over head our battalions struggling across a never-ending rice paddy on a very hot day, "Hey Mate! Do you want me to throw you a rope?"

Finally (and with apologies for this very long digression), I am happy to have had two military parachute jumps from Republic of Korea Air Force C-46 Commandos, so have a soft spot in my heart for those fabulous old birds.

Don
Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 PM

C-46 Commando

Don,

Of all the airplanes here at Kenai, DC-4, DC-6 (showed up again today), DC-3 that is still flying passengers out of Anchorage, the C-46 is my favorite.

Best sound, and when you see it lining up for landing and a C-130 or C-17 from Anchorage is in the pattern, well, it just gives you a certain feeling.

Here are some photos from the 2014 Kenai Airfare:
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0048.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0049.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0050.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0051.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0065.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0069.jpg

Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-pict0076.jpg

I have others as well. I'll keep looking.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 PM

1998 Vans RV-6 & HD 2009 Iron Sportster

Here is a fairly close-up of my amateur built Vans RV-6, first flight was Aug. 1998.

Kevin, notice the N number is almost visible?
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-2009-hd-1998-rv6.jpg

On the other side of the rudder is a decal that says, "Cloud Chasers". No clouds to be found in this photo. Kevin, now you can see my clearly visible N numbers...
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-dsc_0001.jpg

Found a couple in this photo: at 9500 ft msl heading towards the Harding Ice Field from the West!
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-dsc_0010.jpg

In flight photos were taken by a new friend that flew his RV-9a all the way up from New Jersey. He is a former SU22 supersonic bomber pilot. Vlad is his name and quite a character! Lots more to the story, but I won't bore you.

Mike
Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the pics Mike - very nice.

C-46 - that cockpit looks very busy. Like the roof console! And Dumbo of course.

RV-6 - First pic. Nope, don't see the number. But are those attachment points I detect under the wing?!!!!

Last pic is very pretty.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Thanks for the pics Mike - very nice.

C-46 - that cockpit looks very busy. Like the roof console! And Dumbo of course.

RV-6 - First pic. Nope, don't see the number. But are those attachment points I detect under the wing?!!!!

Last pic is very pretty.
Tie Down Eye Bolts.

Everts Fuel owns the world's biggest fleet of the C-46's and in Fairbanks they have a huge supply of engines and parts!

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Pt-13

I got to go flying in this Stearman on 09-25-2018. It was great!
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-078dw-46.jpg   Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-075w-46j.jpg  
Old 10-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 788.17 MB
Just found this thread. Figured id add my 2 cents. Some pictures of the Jetstreams I fly. Not the most exciting but some may find intersting.
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-64fa0337-530a-4d3b-968f-cca98e585848.jpg   Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-27954d2f-9299-4c24-a397-a53401b90590.jpg   Aircraft, Glider and Balloon Pics - Anything real, military or civil, that flies!-7790a70a-2d4b-4afc-a327-07d09de5caeb.jpg  
Google Adsense