PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
N999SN 1999 Vans RV-6

Well, it has been several years since I've been able to fly. Recently found out that I can get a FAA medical Class III again.

So been looking for an airplane that will get me back in the air. N999SN is a Vans RV-6 homebuilt airplane that was finished in 1999.
N999SN 1999 Vans RV-6-n999sn-1.jpg

On Friday the 23rd, it will have Pre-Buy inspection made on it. If it passes without any safety issues, I'll be an airplane owner again.

Nothing fancy about the paint or the instrument/avionics panel. White paint with some blue highlights, basic VFR panel and radios.
It does have the 0-320-D engine in it which puts out 160 HP.
N999SN 1999 Vans RV-6-n999sn-2.jpg
N999SN 1999 Vans RV-6-n999sn-3.jpg

Specifications:
2-seats
160 Hp
Catto Propeller
Empty Weight: 1050 lbs
Gross weight:1600 lbs
Wingspan: 23 ft
Length: 20ft 2inch
Height: 5ft 3inch (height to top of tall)
Fuel Tanks: 38 Gal

As you can from the Specs. it is a small airplane.

Performance on 160HP at Gross weight:
Top Speed: 201 mph (202 solo)
Cruise Speed 75% power setting: 190 mph
Cruise speed 55% power setting: 172 mph
Stall Speed: 55 mph (49 mph when solo)
Take Off distance: 535 ft (300 ft solo)
Landing distance: 500 ft (300 ft solo)
Rate of climb: 1500 ft per minute (1900 fpm solo)
Ceiling: 19,500 ft (21,500 ft solo)
Range 75% power: 775 Statue Miles
Range 55% Power: 950 Statue Miles

You can see it is a fast little airplane for the amount of horsepower it has. One added benefit is that it is also aerobatic, so looking for parachutes as an accessory!

I will go pick it up next spring and fly it back to Alaska around the first of April. Not going to risk a winter flight this year!

Yes, the plan is to get some 8.50 tires and wheels to allow some back country fishing trips.

Hope I'm not jinxxin the deal by posting to soon....

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2016, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Mike

That is super cool. The RV planes are great. I am partial to side by side seating as appose to tandem which is a bore to fly with another person since you can't really interact with them ( other than intercom ).

3 of my friends have RV planes and one is in a perpetual building mode ( which will never be finished ). Those are great machines.

You will need to remove the wheel pants for big tires though.
and
get a big flat screen GPS ( or a tablet with software ) attached to the panel.

I remember purchasing my first plane, a Grumman Cheetah back in the 1990's. Same engine, but a 4 seater. Speed was about 130 mph or so. Fun plane with a sliding canopy.

Speaking of winter flying, I am watching Ice Pilots on Netflix. They fly old WW2 junk up in Canada's Northern territories. Really cool ( pun intended ).

Good luck. Make sure it gets a good pre inspection ( it's worth the money ).

Isaac
Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a hot little airplane, Mike. Congratulations on being able to take to the air again, and good flying!

Don
Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Mike

That is super cool. The RV planes are great. I am partial to side by side seating as appose to tandem which is a bore to fly with another person since you can't really interact with them ( other than intercom ).

3 of my friends have RV planes and one is in a perpetual building mode ( which will never be finished ). Those are great machines.

You will need to remove the wheel pants for big tires though.
and
get a big flat screen GPS ( or a tablet with software ) attached to the panel.

I remember purchasing my first plane, a Grumman Cheetah back in the 1990's. Same engine, but a 4 seater. Speed was about 130 mph or so. Fun plane with a sliding canopy.

Speaking of winter flying, I am watching Ice Pilots on Netflix. They fly old WW2 junk up in Canada's Northern territories. Really cool ( pun intended ).

Good luck. Make sure it gets a good pre inspection ( it's worth the money ).

Isaac
Hi Isaac,
Pre-Buy is getting done by a guy who came highly recommended on the VAF site.

The plane appears to have been well built, has a Philogiston wing spar, and Catto Prop, but lacks an interior heater.

Randy who will do the pre-buy this Friday has built several RV's, best part is he lives 10-minutes away by car.

Having an oil analysis done, and he will also check the fuel tanks sealant to verify no issues. All in all he plans a through inspection, hitting all of the known problem areas.

I will buy the vans heat muff after the inspection and have it installed before I get down to fly the plane back.

This is my second airplane, used to have a 1974 Piper Cherokee 140, 150 HP with full IFR panel, long range tanks and a partial auto-pilot (wing leveler).

In 2-years time flew it 424 hours, including a trip to Idaho and back.

Thank you for your reply!

Mike
Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Looks like a hot little airplane, Mike. Congratulations on being able to take to the air again, and good flying!

Don
Thank you Don!

Looking forward to getting back in the air. Next month you will find me at the local FBO getting refresher training in a Citabria.

On the way down to California to pick the plane up, will spend a day or two near Portland getting a PIC (Pilot In Command) checkout in the Vans RV from a CFI who specializes in those kind of checkouts!

The checkout is a requirement from the insurance company. Would do it anyway, like you say, "Safe Flying!".

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Nice RV, Mike!

Before you decide to put 8.5's on that RV-6, you might want to take a look at this Thread from the BCP Forum:

Taking a Van's RV off airport

Alan
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Mike

and get a big flat screen GPS ( or a tablet with software ) attached to the panel.

Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Not getting a big GPS panel mount. Getting a smaller one, hand held Garmin AERA 660. Main reason is the winters here in Alaska. Too cold for the electronics to stay working.

That is the main reason why I did not look at the glass cockpit versions at all. Old school, I like my 6-pack.

Thought about getting an Ipad with the Stratus 2. But after reading all the reports of not being able to see the screen in sunlight, decided to get an aviation GPS moving map.

Another item I'm buying, the Sproty's SP400 handheld radio. Looks like a great back up for the single radio that I will have.

Mike
Old 12-19-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPilot View Post
Nice RV, Mike!

Before you decide to put 8.5's on that RV-6, you might want to take a look at this Thread from the BCP Forum:

Taking a Van's RV off airport

Alan
Thanks Alan,

Looks like it is do-able but issues could happen with the motor mount.

I live less than 1/4 mile from where I'll be parking it on a gravel strip. The 850's will help when it is time to move around...As far as the rough fields, plan on using a couple of fishing holes that I'm familiar with, pretty sure that the RV will be able to get in and out without issue on the bigger tires.

Been awhile since I've visited either spot, so will talk to a friend that has a cub to fly me over and take a look at them, before I try to stop in.

Mike
Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Getting close to travel time! Will acquire N999SN on the 25th of March 2017.

Since I haven't flown in 20+ years, needed to do some flying. In particular, needed a tailwheel endorsement, because I've never flown taildragger type airplane before.

Lots of nasty cross winds today, but I was able to get the endorsement.

Big grin on my face most of the day, however it got a little hairy a couple of times in the cross winds we were dealing with.

Feels great to be back in the air again!

Mike
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Best of luck with your upcoming inspection

Also , hopefully you are practicing on a low wing tail dragger since it's different feel compared to a Piper cub or Decathlon

Isaac
Google Adsense