PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Goof Off will remove most residues without causing any damage to the finish. It can easily remove Super Glue, Epoxy and even extra stingy Gorilla Glue. So if when we are talking about CA glue, I'm guessing this is short for Cyanoacrylate. If that's the case, using a slower setting brand will go a long way to cutting down on the residues and may cut down on the need for any tape. This is also the first time that I've heard of using paper for the tabs, but then again, that FSM article was the first time I had ever heard of anyone using a card or paper understructure. In 20+ years of can building, I've never found the need to use either...
Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
There are many ways to Rome, so they say. It doesn't matter what glue you use as long as you can glue them together.

Papermate
Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Adhesives and Techniques ?

Howdy Gman93643,

Thank you for mentioning Goof Off. I imagine with your 20 years experience
you have tried a multitude of adhesives and techniques.

What is your present favorite aluminum can glue ?

Any construction tips you care to share?

Pictures?

Bob
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penikas View Post
Howdy Gman93643,

Thank you for mentioning Goof Off. I imagine with your 20 years experience
you have tried a multitude of adhesives and techniques.

What is your present favorite aluminum can glue ?

Any construction tips you care to share?

Pictures?

Bob
Hi Bob! Yes in those 20 years I have tried a and tested a multitude of adhesives including the standard Krazy Glue and Super glue brands, neither of which I was very impressed with. Quick grip and Gorilla clear grip were too messy and slow to cure and Since then I have settled in to using super glue brands that make a gel such as Testors, Jet and Loctite gels. The previously mentioned Testors brand and Jet give you some leeway to position parts prior to the glue setting. Loctite gel sets much more quickly and is good for precision fits. Again if you get residue on yourself or the model, not to worry, grab your bottle of Goof off along with a Q-tip and swap some on and gently cleanse the model and then your finger tips until no residue remains. Then after the model dries, wipe it down gently with a diluted spray mixture of water and glass cleaner and the finish will just sparkle.

In my humble opinion, the standard CA glue(Cyanoacrylate) that is not a gel formula, is messy and cumbersome to work with and this is why I abandoned it some years ago. Gel is more precise and is perfect for glue tabs, bulkhead construction and with it there is no need to use a complex understructure. Other materials such aluminum sheeting found in the roofing section of most home improvement stores can be used for strengthening and stiffening and also make for precision bulkheads. Using these techniques, I've been able to build almost any subject and in any size:

My R2 unit appeared in this Month's issue of FSM in the Scale talk section. He was built in 1:1 scale over the course of 4 months from over 1400 cans and only some aluminum sheeting in key areas for support:

And this is my SR-71 Blackbird in construction. She was built at 1:18 scale and came in a few inches over 6 foot. She, like R2, is built of all can with some aluminum sheeting support and bulkhead and no complex understructure. She now hangs in the Ready Room at Beale AFB for the reconnaissance squadron stationed there:

And finally, this is a 1:64 scale Antonov AN-225. She is a few inches over 4 feet. This one utilized bulkhead construction with the aforementioned technique of creating aluminum sheeting bulkheads and some 475 cans for construction. She now resides in my living room. The An-225 along with R2 were IPMS award winners in 2008 and 2013 respectively:

Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Howdy Roy,

I saw your FSM article mentioning North Fork , CA and had hoped
someday to meet you. I am in Anaheim Hills.

So "Howdy" here at Papermodelers.com!

I use Pledge spray on soft rags to clean my finished aluminum can models. Certainly made
mistakes with different cleaning chemicals ruining soda/beer can finishes.

Again, thank you for providing details. Loctite gel is now on my shopping list.

Bob
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Woah, that AN-225 is impressive!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penikas View Post
Howdy Roy,

I saw your FSM article mentioning North Fork , CA and had hoped
someday to meet you. I am in Anaheim Hills.

So "Howdy" here at Papermodelers.com!

I use Pledge spray on soft rags to clean my finished aluminum can models. Certainly made
mistakes with different cleaning chemicals ruining soda/beer can finishes.

Again, thank you for providing details. Loctite gel is now on my shopping list.

Bob
Well I should have noticed that in your location details! Your just a tad bit down the hill from us on 5 and 99. The Pledge is a new one, I'll have to test that one out. When you grab the Loctite, don't forget the Goof Off too-it works wonders!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajaeseo View Post
Woah, that AN-225 is impressive!
She is indeed. I had to hang her up high in the living room/computer room just to avoid her massive 4 foot plus wingspan! Here's a better photo that gives you some idea of her dimensions:

Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Wow, those are huge and definitely take up a lot of space. So, that's why I limit myself to much smaller can planes, no larger than 2 feet. Otherwise, I have to get rid of them because of space shortage problems. Those glues and removing agents that you mentioned are not available or extremely hard to find in Hong Kong and CA glue is much easier to get. About paper formers and wing spars, I would strengthen them with scrap can sheets if necessary.

Papermate
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Wow, those are huge and definitely take up a lot of space. So, that's why I limit myself to much smaller can planes, no larger than 2 feet. Otherwise, I have to get rid of them because of space shortage problems. Those glues and removing agents that you mentioned are not available or extremely hard to find in Hong Kong and CA glue is much easier to get. About paper formers and wing spars, I would strengthen them with scrap can sheets if necessary.

Papermate
That they do. Originally I had loaned them out to local businesses to display them as attractions but when the real estate crash hit California, many of them closed and I had to take them back. The SR-71 was eagerly snatched up by the personnel at the local AFB leaving me to only find places for the An-225(4ft), the F-15 Aggressor(3.5ft), and the B-52(3ft). My wife is very understanding though as she puts up with the fact that I keep about 5 to 10 thousand cans on hand throughout the year!

As for the glues and agents, many of them are available on Amazon/eBay and you might be able to obtain them through Borderlinx if you can't get the retailers to ship them there...
Google Adsense