PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I have the Aurora SNJ-4 kit still unbuilt as yet. Now that is a "rivet monster".
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
I have the Aurora SNJ-4 kit still unbuilt as yet. Now that is a "rivet monster".
Don't build it PLEASE!!!!! It is a small treasure you must keep inside a safebox!! You are very lucky having this model. I'm exaggerating, naturally but these old Aurora models are much sought after by collectors. I once saw on the Web someone asking $1.500.00 for the first issue of Aurora's Japanese Zero, yellow with flat wing, monster rivets and with negative dihedral and wrong canopy shape!!!! I have just purchased a 1953 issue of Revell's Highway Pioneers' MG sports car. It was a bid on Ebay and I just end up paying $10.00!!!! Naturally, I will never build this model. And as I almost sure you know, Aurora moulds were purchased by Monogram in 1977. I think Monogram's AT-6 was an improvement of the original Aurora kit. I might be wrong but I think it is because Monogram dressed up the most popular Aurora kits and improved them a lot.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
Don't build it PLEASE!!!!! It is a small treasure you must keep inside a safebox!! You are very lucky having this model. I'm exaggerating, naturally but these old Aurora models are much sought after by collectors. I once saw on the Web someone asking $1.500.00 for the first issue of Aurora's Japanese Zero, yellow with flat wing, monster rivets and with negative dihedral and wrong canopy shape!!!! I have just purchased a 1953 issue of Revell's Highway Pioneers' MG sports car. It was a bid on Ebay and I just end up paying $10.00!!!! Naturally, I will never build this model. And as I almost sure you know, Aurora moulds were purchased by Monogram in 1977. I think Monogram's AT-6 was an improvement of the original Aurora kit. I might be wrong but I think it is because Monogram dressed up the most popular Aurora kits and improved them a lot.
Monogram was all new tooling. Side by side there is no way the Monogram could have come from that mold. I looked at both closely.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

I'm sure you are right. I just stated the fact because I know Monogram did improved some Aurora kits like the airliners and a few WW1 subjects.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 PM

No problem. Monogram didn't really do much with the SE5 or the Fokker kits. I wish they would gotten and released the Tri-plane kit.
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
No problem. Monogram didn't really do much with the SE5 or the Fokker kits. I wish they would gotten and released the Tri-plane kit.
Agreed! But they also should have released all other WW1 models made by Aurora, some of which were really good. By the way, do you happen to know what ever happened to Aurora moulds? Are they in hands of Hobbico?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
but...but...but...its plastic?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Dave, We don't limit our selves to paper. I like both. I collected a stash of 500 kits before I discovered the world of paper. I haven't bought a plastic kit since. Plus, MHVINK and I are in the same local model club.

Last edited by at6; 07-23-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
Agreed! But they also should have released all other WW1 models made by Aurora, some of which were really good. By the way, do you happen to know what ever happened to Aurora moulds? Are they in hands of Hobbico?
I heard rumors that some of the molds were lost at some point. Hobbico may still have the molds that Monogram acquired.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I heard rumors that some of the molds were lost at some point. Hobbico may still have the molds that Monogram acquired.
I've heard that the train that was carrying the moulds from New York to Chicago, when Monogram purchased Aurora in 1977 had an accident and some moulds were destroyed. One of them was the Halberstadt and other was the Cessna Skymaster. Perhaps others were also destroyed.

And I agree, modelling is modelling, using plastic, paper, balsawood, resin, rocks, aluminum, steel, water, air, glass, ice, dough etc. etc. I myself prefer card but I also build some plastic models, especially those that are nostalgic to me. And I also build and fly radio control and free flight model airplanes.
Google Adsense