PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-15-2018, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Resin glue.

OK, I know this is nothing to do with paper, but I have no modelling contacts outside of this forum, and I know many of you do still inhabit the pl###ic scene.

I have received a cast resin ornament via the mail, but it looks like the posties played football with it. Smashed to pieces. The sender has refunded me, but I'm game to treat it as a puzzle and stick it together again. I don't have any Polystyrene cement to hand and I've never used a resin kit before, so I'm wondering what glue to order in?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 414.98 MB
Hi John

best to glue Resin is CA Glue (can fog clear parts !!) or two component Epoxy Glue

hope that helps
Old 06-15-2018, 05:35 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
CA (Crazy Glue) is what I always used when I used to build/paint military miniatures. But be forewarned - it will grab immediately, just like it does to skin. The resulting joint will be stronger than the resin itself, so any piece that is misplaced will stay that way.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
You can buy a little wiggle room time by using a superglue that is medium thick. you can also use an accelerator to speed up the thick superglue once you have it in place and don't want to wait 30 seconds
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Dunno why, but CA glue (In UK it's normally called Super Glue) hadn't even occurred to me. I have both liquid and gel in stock for occasional use with paper. Often used as a stiffening medium for narrow girders, but mostly to strengthen a bird's legs.

So cheers guys. I don't have to send out for anything. I just might have her ornament fixed before she finds out it's broken. Just gotta persuade these ol' fingers to pick up the tiny shards and put them in place without gluing them to my fingers. Somewhere I've got a pair of silicon tipped tweezers that were meant for just this sort of job. I remember ordering them,and I'm sure they arrived, but where the *ell I put them is another matter.

I've gott'n used to retirement OK, but this gettin' old malarkey ain't no fun.