PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-23-2018, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Using Model Design Skills For Airplane Paint Job

Been working on a new paint job for my Vans RV-6. Want to go from this as purchased:
Using Model Design Skills For Airplane Paint Job-cloud-chasers.jpg

To this:
Using Model Design Skills For Airplane Paint Job-rv-6-eagle.jpg

As you can see, have a few issue that need worked on, this is just a first rendition, hoping I'm on the right track.

Plan is to paint over existing paint adding red, white and blue on top of the existing Ivory White color.

What do you think?

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Depending on UV ray exposure of the plane it looks ok.UV rays will fade one color faster than the other.It all depends on how long you will keep the plane,where you store it and a whole lot of other factors.

Just like paint job on a used car question is-is "cool" factor worth the money spend on it?
Only you know the answer to that.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
red fades first.
blue fades last.

the recommendation is "do vinyl first".
its often cheaper than most paint jobs, plus if you don't like it, you can just peel it off.
but in this case, because you are not repainting the entire plane...

you have two options...prep sand the entire aircraft, mask and paint the graphics, then clearcoat the whole plane to put the gloss back and seal everything.

or, use an enamel, like One-Shot, with an adhesion promoter, to paint right over the existing finish with no prep required other than degreasing, cleaning and final wipe.
(thats how I painted the Butterfly Boat)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
My experience will agree red will fade but blue will change color (using One Shot). Blue tends to go toward green as it oxidizes but can be inhibited if you mix your blue with another blue, ie, dark blue with light blue will give you a color like reflex blue or as we called it in the old days Standard Oil Blue which will last longer. Mixing your red with a red iron oxide (basically rust) will also extend the red's life because it will add pigment to your dye (which your regular red is), however it will give it a darker, possibly brownish tint. I live in a climate with extreme UV and have been painting signs for forty years or so.

The best bet it to hanger the plane.

Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 AM

Had to do some fiberglass work last week. Went to a local auto parts store "Car Quest" to get a paint match. Originally the plane was painted with auto type paint, the color match was done with a camera. It was perfect.

Having met the paint guy, decided to use the blue that was mixed for the blue, red will be a Porsche Guards Red (used to own a Porsche 944 and a 914 painted guards red).

Interesting thing about the paint that was matched, put into a rattle can so I could do some touch up easily.

Thank you for the advice, will ask more questions next spring when I get ready to do the painting. George told me he has been doing auto paint stuff for 35+ years.

Dave, the vinyl wrap is a great idea, lots lighter than paint, however to do it properly, would want to strip the old paint to bare metal. Don't have that kind of money.

That is why I was thinking of adding just the graphics on top of the old paint. It has been on the plane since 1998 and only needs touched up in a few places, wearing very well, even after spending several years in California weather, a couple in Arizona, another few in Nevada and coastal weather in Oregon.

It is parked outside all year now at the Kenai Airport. I do have wing, and tail covers for winter, insulated engine cover too.

Just working up the graphic using my main drawing program for models. Lots more work to do, to get it finalized.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
So Mike....,

So when you do snap rolls you could say you were "Flipping the Bird" (so to speak)?...,

-Gil
Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, you get "Rat Rods". You could always do a "Rat Plane" scheme - you would not have to worry then over much!

----------

in terms of your design, I think the body need to be bigger proportionately.........
Attached Thumbnails
Using Model Design Skills For Airplane Paint Job-rat-plane.jpg  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Mike, I wasn't suggesting to "wrap" the plane (although I don't know why you want to strip the finish for that?).
And vinyl wraps are definitely not lighter than paint.

No, I was suggesting you use cut vinyl graphics over the existing colour.
Apply them directly over top of the paint.
Only thing you need to do is properly clean the surface.

What Kevin says...enlarge that side graphic to cover more and match the coverage of the wing graphic.

Do you plan on doing the underside of the wing?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Mike, I wasn't suggesting to "wrap" the plane (although I don't know why you want to strip the finish for that?).
And vinyl wraps are definitely not lighter than paint.

No, I was suggesting you use cut vinyl graphics over the existing colour.
Apply them directly over top of the paint.
Only thing you need to do is properly clean the surface.

What Kevin says...enlarge that side graphic to cover more and match the coverage of the wing graphic.

Do you plan on doing the underside of the wing?
Yes, on the underside, the body will "wrap" underneath as well. The body length is correct for wing length, I used a photo to create my design. Height wise, it isn't as tall as it should be, an eagle wing is at the top of it's body, maybe that is what you're seeing.

Plan is to lower the body a little more to show it underneath the fuselage. Claws will be up-sized and moved forward a bit-they will be right at the point where the fuselage turns into the belly, not sure how to show the beak underneath. Or if I need too.

Study was done on the vinyl and paint, vinyl wraps are quite a bit lighter than the paint and primer process. Vinyl also lasts longer. Not sure how thick of vinyl they use.

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Updated Graphics

On a RV Aircraft forum posting they mentioned the same idea of making the body bigger.

Updated body on the following photo. Also worked on the wing design, getting it more consistent with an actual wing. Removed lots of the small pieces, made the trailing edge straighter and improved the shape of the feathers.

Body was extended, different abstract shapes for body feathers, still thinking there is a better way to do the body, will experiment more...

Here is the latest rendition, What do you think? :
Using Model Design Skills For Airplane Paint Job-rv-6-eagle5.jpg

Thank you in advance for your comments!
Mike
Google Adsense