PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Planning 2019 Summer Vacation Trip

Well, as you know a few years ago I bought a Vans RV-6 Airplane.This summer I plan to take a little trip in it.

Kenai to Kenai will cover approx. 10,668 statute Miles, take 86-hours to fly @ 125mph, fuel used @6-gal per hour will be 512 gallons, estimating the fuel costs @ $4.50 gal = $2304.

From the initial flight planning you can see my route. This route will change as it gets closer, will start to look for fuel stops with cheapest fuel and no big cities airspace to avoid.

Decided to go to Kitty Hawk, NC and check out the Wright Brothers Monument. A straight line just isn't going to work. Friends and an ex-coworker, who retired last year, will be stops along the way.

After Kitty Hawk, direct flight to Dayton, OH to the Wright Brothers Airport, a short hop to a closer airport to visit the Wright-Patterson AFB Museum, before Glendale, AZ to visit son. Minden, NV to visit an uncle, then tour Idaho visit high school friends and relatives. Gas up and head north to Alaska from there....

24May19 through 17June19 timeframe.

Airplane has to pass a very thorough inspection at the end of this month. That will be the first hurdle of many to come, before the wheels leave the ground.

As mentioned above, this image shows the not so straight route to KFFA (Kitty Hawk, NC airport) and back to Kenai. Skyvector on-line flight planning screenshot:

Planning 2019 Summer Vacation Trip-skyvector-10668-round-trip-miles.jpg

The info in the little box (lower left) is in Nautical Miles, so changed to statute for my post. All the weird letter combos are airport identifiers. Whoops, guess I should have turned off the fuel prices that are showing.

Here is new screenshot-notice the red, blue, green dots? Those are airports, they show what type of weather they have, white circle in green is best, green is great, the other colors mean starting to get bad, blue is real nasty stuff going on:
Planning 2019 Summer Vacation Trip-skyvector-10668-round-trip-miles-zoom.jpg

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 02-10-2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Posted new screenshot
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Based on this flightplan, here is my location.
Looks like a small detour?

I am near Waterloo and Brantford airports.
Both are small airports with big runways .
Both have handled 747, Hercs and Lancasters, as well as small private stuff.

Hamilton is a big city with a larger International Airport that you probably want to stay away from
Attached Thumbnails
Planning 2019 Summer Vacation Trip-slight-detour.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mike - how come there is so much variation in those fuel prices? Are they right?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Mike...is that a per Gallon(US) cost shown on your map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Mike - how come there is so much variation in those fuel prices? Are they right?
Taxes! at least thats the problem here in Canada.

The variances across North America are ridiculous.
Mostly because Taxes vary from State to State, Province to Province.
...taxes constitute a lot of the cost.
Although destination is a factor too...the cost of shipping fuel to remote locations, like Alaska?

LOL (Auto) Gas prices here in southern Ontario can vary as much as 30 Cents a litre within just a few kilometers!
And prices can fluctuate by 30 cents up and down weekly!
Average price right now is $1.10 per litre.

Can/Imp. Gallon is 4.5 litres (thats about 4.55/Gal)
US Gallon is 3.5 litres (about $3.55/Gal)

Aviation Fuel is priced differently, but a lot closer to the same prices as Auto Fuel these days.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Would it not be cheaper to fly into Detroit to fill up
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Depends-Varation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Hi Kevin,

Here in the USA local FBO's have been disappearing, taken over by larger corporations. These are at the bigger airfields. Small local FBO (Flight Base Operator) still charge reasonable prices, they do this to get more business from pilots like me, that are not on a schedule and can land at small airports.

For the most part yes, they are correct, sometimes city taxes are left off. That is the case here in Kenai; Fuel price shown is $4.36 a gallon, actual is $4.91 due to local city and borough taxes.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 02-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Mike...is that a per Gallon(US) cost shown on your map?
Taxes! at least thats the problem here in Canada.

The variances across North America are ridiculous.
Mostly because Taxes vary from State to State, Province to Province.
...taxes constitute a lot of the cost.
Although destination is a factor too...the cost of shipping fuel to remote locations, like Alaska?

LOL (Auto) Gas prices here in southern Ontario can vary as much as 30 Cents a litre within just a few kilometers!
And prices can fluctuate by 30 cents up and down weekly!
Average price right now is $1.10 per litre.

Can/Imp. Gallon is 4.5 litres (thats about 4.55/Gal)
US Gallon is 3.5 litres (about $3.55/Gal)

Aviation Fuel is priced differently, but a lot closer to the same prices as Auto Fuel these days.
Hi Dave,

No, the prices for Canada are by the liter....I won't be buying much fuel in Canada.

That is one reason why I fly the BC coast non-stop from Petersburg, AK to Washington state.

With my extra 20.5 gal aux tank I'm making for the passenger seat, I'll be able to go from Petersburg to Bonners Ferry, Idaho non-stop.

With the extended range, allows far more choices for finding the cheap fuel along the route. Biggest advantage is far fewer stops for fuel, means faster travel between points.

Normal range would be from Kenai to Yakutat, refuel, fly to Petersbrug, refuel, fly to Orcas Island, WA. Orcas fuel is closest to Petersburg, add 10-gallons before flying to Arlington, WA to top off due to much lower prices. High prices in Washington State due to taxes.

With aux fuel tank, Kenai to Petersburg no problem. Gain one hour because did not stop in Yakutat. Next leg Petersburg to Bonners Ferry-gas less than $4 a gallon, bypass all of taxes in Washington State and gain two hours because did not need to stop twice!

I try to avoid fueling in Oregon because the law there says no self serve fuel in Oregon! That means an attendant has to be present, no credit card options = call out fees after hours can be over $100 + fuel charge.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckendzierski View Post
Would it not be cheaper to fly into Detroit to fill up
Plenty of options for cheaper fuel than Detroit!

My route just shows my planned visit stops. Once I get closer to the take off date, I will fine tune the route for fuel stops. Total fuel capability will be 58.5 gallons. Wing tanks hold 19-gallon each for a total 38-gallons. Burning fuel at a planned 6 Gallon Per Hour; 6-GPH gives me a 125mph cruising speed. 75% throttle (normal cruise setting) will burn 8.5 GPH, airspeed near 175 mph. A $.20 savings for 50-gal of fuel is $10. Adds up quick!

Another big thing that will change route, restricted airspace that can't fly over. I will need to change a few things to stay clear of them.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Do you take passenger(s)?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:07 AM

Yes, Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Do you take passenger(s)?
Yes, it has two seats. On this trip I'm installing an auxiliary fuel tank where the passenger seat is. No, passengers this trip.

Mike
Google Adsense