PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 548.99 MB
Miniature Medieval Building Tools

Hi
Another interesting project for me, the museum I work at needs some miniature versions of medieval building tools, these will be used for the construction of a miniature abbey, out of miniature real bricks.
So I'm looking at a wooden level, that would have been used to check the horizontal trueness of a wall. This would consist of an A-frame or inverted T shape, with a lead or stone bob on the end of a line. There would be a mark on the lower part of the instrument to show when the surface was level.
A plumb rule would be another useful instrument, this would check the vertical trueness of a wall.
And perhaps a square.
I'm going to use beech, and obviously no screws allowed so they will use dowels for fixing, and probably half-lap joints, nothing too fancy. So I'd better sharpen my tools!
Julian
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well, you will need a t-handle auger or a brace and bit to drill those holes.

Those tools would also be used to drill holes in the timbers used for framing.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 548.99 MB
Yes, I've got a couple of hand braces. Not sure I'll risk drilling the holes with them though, my supply of beech is small and the time short - looking to be finished by May! I do generally prefer hand tools though, so it will be hand saw, chisel and plane. And maybe the pillar drill.