PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-31-2021, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Thank you Glenn for your comments. They were interesting.

Went and had look at the "real" thing and then revisited in Run8. They do for some reason have it reversed. Could have been historically once like this? The sim is set generally in the '70s.
You're quite welcome, Kevin!

I doubt the tanks were ever painted as depicted in Run8.

For one, the "Welcome to Kingman" and Route 66 shield, as depicted in Run 8, would be visible to motorists as they were leaving Kingman. Kind of the wrong place for a welcome sign...

Secondly, the locomotive mural wasn't painted until 2003: "Locomotive Busting Through a Water Tank" in Kingman, Arizona

At one time, I thought I saw a picture with the tanks painted silver (and with the Route 66 shield and welcome lettering). Naturally, I cannot find that picture now.

Who knows why Run8 has the tanks reversed. As any model railroader can attest, sometimes elements of a scene get swapped and tweaked for better "readability".

Regardless, Run8 has done a masterful job of including elements that immediately set the scene and allow instant recognition of a particular location.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Of course, some things change: Google Maps

For fun, zoom and pan around a bit, paying particular attention to the area immediately east of the tanks.

There is a vintage Corvette visible in the parking area, but only when you look traveling in the eastbound lanes (leaving town). If you shift to the westbound lanes (entering town), he's not there.

Looks like someone knew the Google street view vehicle and had some fun!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
If you are looking to purchase the Train sim on Stream. Wait a while or register for news and updates. Every few weeks they will put different programs on sale often at half price and add ons also go on sale on a regular basis.

As for the computer requirements whatever they require are the very basic requirements. I play City Skylights and it typically takes over 8 gig of Ram, and the video card (GTX1660GT) is running at 60% and the processor (7 2700X running at 4 gig) is running between 20 and 60%. no other program I have puts that much demand on my system.

Jim Nunn
Old 08-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Jim - the sim here I am showing is Run8 - not Train Sim. Run8 is only available from the developers - not on Steam.

Having said that your tip on buying Train Sim on Steam is a great one - that's what I still do for the other Steam games I want and play (Train Sim and Dovetail Games I have abandoned).
Old 08-15-2021, 10:03 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A few more recent shots - from the SoCal Arvin Branch...

Attached Thumbnails
Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.08.07-15.31.48.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.08.09-13.16.05.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.08.07-18.23.43.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.08.08-13.39.43.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-heck-cellars-winery.jpg  

Run 8 Train Simulator-arvin2.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-allied-potato.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-arvin.jpg  
Old 08-15-2021, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very realistic. What does it look like from the operator's view?

Don