PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-27-2019, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Spectacular graphics Kevin. I've only have Railroad tycoon 3 and use it like a train layout just to watch the steam trains chug along between cities. The diesels in the game are fun but the steam engines harken back to a simpler time.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Unfortunately in Run8 only limited US routes and diesel.

But it is all about the actual physics and driving experience which makes up for the lack of steam and routes.

I used to have Train Simulator but it was soo buggy it drove me nuts. And NO developer support at all, so the bugs just grow and grow. Stay away from this one.

Trainz is fun for a model train type sim...

And Run8 if you are serious about "real" physics. Some of the users are drivers in real life and they reckon it actually rivals the simulators they are trained on.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:31 AM
Eternal Member

Well, still running Run8 when I get a gap at the weekend - usually every couple of weeks.

Still enjoying it - so much to do.

The life-like nature of the simulator is nice as well - long trains and hills are tricky (just as with the real thing).

Here are a few more shots.

Attached Thumbnails
Run 8 Train Simulator-w-screeny_2020.08.08-19.23.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-lab-bridge-selkirk-mn2.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-klingman-seligman.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2020.12.30-13.14.46.jpg  
Old 07-10-2021, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Those indeed are impressive graphics.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Of course, "that guy" has to point out they numbered an ES44AC as an SP C44-9W...
Old 07-10-2021, 09:33 AM

However, I did immediately recognize Kingman, AZ!
Old 07-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Of course, "that guy" has to point out they numbered an ES44AC as an SP C44-9W...
Hot dog! How did you pick that up! I had to scratch around now to confirm that! Very good!

Actually, the whole sim is apparently amazingly accurate in appearance. There are a number of Forum members there who actually drive on those lines and they are always commenting on how lifelike lt is. I have in places checked with Google Street view and even the hills have the right profile.

Someone the other day posted real-life pics and compared them to the sim. I will try and find some examples to show you!
Old 07-10-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Hot dog! How did you pick that up! I had to scratch around now to confirm that! Very good!
Details and my brain have an interesting relationship: I have two brain cells that feel it's their sole job to pick up on obscure details, notice patterns, etc...

(They, in turn, get a few more brain cells involved and...)

Once, at 70 MPH, I noticed the brickwork on a hotel was done with a different pattern than the other buildings. When I circled back and pointed this out to someone else in the car, I was told "Only you would notice that..."

Also, I am a foamer and (usually) know my railroads and equipment.

Seriously, for me it's more a matter of first seeing areas, sizes, and general shapes in relation to each other rather than specific details off the bat.

In the screenshot in question, I noticed the "blotch" that was the numbers in the number boards was too wide for a three-digit number, it therefore must be a four-digit number.

Clicking on the bar to enlarge the photo on my computer's browser, I found out I was correct: The loco had been numbered 8122.

As I looked at the loco, another detail immediately jumped out: The size and shape of the various parts of the radiator section.

The lower screens have two sections at two different angles, the vertical side of the radiators is thicker, and the front face has a vertical then sloped then horizontal profile.

Southern Pacific, GE widecab, four-digit road number: It should be a C44-9W. (A three-digit number was used on the very similar but still different AC4400CW.)

Radiators as I described: All spotting elements of GE's "GEVO" locomotives.

Since many of the other screenshots had GEVO locos in them (UP and BNSF), I figured someone did a re-skin of one of those models and voila- an SP widecab that is still a good-looking element of the simulator.

Last edited by sgoti; 07-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:33 PM

I will say that while the locomotive art on the fuel oil tank is accurate in appearance, it should be on the tank closest to and facing the water tower.

The side where it is located in the simulator should have the large "Historic Route 66" shield and welcome message:

File:Silo, Route 66, Kingman AZ.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

What a Country!: Kingman, Arizona Route 66

Beautiful renderings nevertheless, my admiration and respect for including what they have rather than blank generic stuff!

(Sometime several years ago I shot several photos of the tanks, hoping to create a photo-realistic paper model of them. We... don't talk about my lack of progress in that endeavor! )
Old 07-30-2021, 07:34 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you Glenn for your comments. They were interesting.

Went and had look at the "real" thing and then revisited in Run8. They do for some reason have it reversed. Could have been historically once like this? The sim is set generally in the '70s.

--------------------------

In terms of the loco number discrepancy, I suddenly realised why this had happened.

In the sim, wagon codes and loco numbers are automatically generated as the rolling stock spawns. This is so everything has a unique ID, but obviously, the numbers are part of a "series" or set and not prototypically accurate. So, for example, if you stick 6 examples of the same loco type they will each generate with a different number.

--------------------------

A few more shots - some from a run on Selkirk (the last is the LAB Bridge)...

And then a couple from Needles...

Attached Thumbnails
Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.07.11-13.21.03.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.07.28-12.11.56.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-screeny_2021.07.28-12.15.03.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-selkirk-lab-bridge.jpg   Run 8 Train Simulator-needlessss.jpg  

Run 8 Train Simulator-needles.jpg