PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 169.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
That's the BIG downside with this painting method. Until that clear coat(s) goes on the paint has virtually zero durability. And when polishing, the only real way is to not rub too hard on the edges.

I ran out of Bare Metal and it's getting so damn expensive here I tried the old household aluminium foil stuck on in oversize strips with PVA white glue and trimmed with a new SHARP hobby blade when dry. Excess dried glue is gently removed with a damp cotton bud (Q Tip). Aluminium foil is slightly thicker than Bare Metal but seems to retain it's 'chrome' look better with age.
Yep... I love that Bare Metal is still made here in the States but $9 for a 6"x11" sheet is a tad much. I've found dollar store aluminum foil is thinner (of course) and doesn't crinkle as much.

Thanks for sharing your work and your skill... much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks panzerlite. By the time I get that same sheet of Bare Metal in my hot little hands here in Australia I've paid more than double that. I used to able to get it reasonably cheap (if I ordered it with a couple of kits) from a supplier in the US but then the USPS jacked up their international shipping rates to an exorbitant level which put paid to that.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I go with panzerlite's suggestion. Haven't tried using PVA, have usually used Microscale's Foil Adhesive or the metal leaf adhesive from the craft/art supply store. I always found Bare Metal since I didn't use it much would lose it adhesive ability by the time I tried to use it.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:13 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm very much interested in your painting technique and have a couple of more quick questions regarding the prep of the body for painting: how do you clean it - soapy water, alcohol? Do you need to rough up the body with 0000 steel wool before cleaning and painting? I can't image craft store acrylics adhering to a shiny plastic surface, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. Your paint job is phenomenal.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:34 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Now she looks.....

FANTASTIC
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2019, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Rockpaperscissor, haven't used the craft store acrylics but all the plastic models I wash before I do anything else to them. Usually use Comet and warm water and scrub with a toothbrush. This puts a little tooth on plastic, but more importantly gets all the oils and mold release agents off. Using steel wool or sandpaper before doing this, can embed any mold release into the plastic.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Good information, Whulsey. Thank you for the response.