PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-04-2020, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Foil Quill

(Posted here because if I purchase this, it would be for some non-paper models)

The other day I took my elderly mother to Hobby Lobby so she could select and purchase more stickers.

(She has found a way to occupy her time by making custom greeting/birthday/whatever cards by applying different stickers to cards cut from poster board.)

Not wanting to waste an opportunity to scout new materials, I began wandering the store and wound up in the vinyl/craft cutter aisle (I have a Silhouette Cameo and Cameo 3).

Always exciting to see what new, especially products such as this one: Foil Quill

In short, foiling is the process whereby metallic lettering and designs are applied to a surface such as book covers and greeting cards. Usually a heat-activated adhesive is used, resulting in the the terms "hot stamp" or "hot foil".

My first thought for this would be for aluminum window frame decals for model railroad applications (or maybe it would be possible to foil directly on thin Lexan material).

The grills and kick plates on Erik Zwann's F7 build was another application that came to mind.

Solar panel lines, chrome details such as auto emblems, maybe even custom rims for one of Airdave's "KoolWheelz" models!

Instructional video here:

Foil Quill video
Old 02-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting.

Thanks for the heads up!