PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJStratoArt View Post
Yes indeed it did. And it felt different on your skin too, not that you'd want too have it all over you, but after doing fuel sump draining on a large plane like a KC-135R and often in high winds, one gets accustomed to having fuel all over oneself, especially if the pesky sumps stuck. (that's why the lower ranking kids got picked on for doing them).

But I'd rather have fuel over me than hydraulic fluid, nasty red stuff.

I used to supervise loading 80K-120K lb fuel loads on my jet. Though It could go up to 200K, that wasn't the norm. When I was stationed at Prince Sultan during it's "tent city" days (VERY nice base btw), we had to use trucks to load JP-8 onto the tankers. And those took a loooooooongggg time (glad I was the sup, instead of the guy in the cockpit monitoring the panel).
During my POL days, it was difficult to get rid of the smell of JP-4. Every conversation I had with dates, always had a few minutes discussing why I smelled like kerosene.

Trucking fuel was always a fun...NOT! Twice I was part of truck trains filling up a B-52, once did a truck fill on a C-5 and even once had to hand pump a full load out of a B-52.

I enjoyed being a POL troop, but there were times when I absolutely hated doing it. Considering I did the job in Alaska and the upper peninsula of Michigan, things couldn't have been much worse in the winter months.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Ah, the gentle scents of dribbling hydraulic fluid and burning JP-4 ... memories of helping the loadmaster push pallets on a C-130 ERO (engine-running-off/onload - there were more than a few places in Alaska you didn't want to shut down if you didn't have to, especially in winter). The MC-130 was even more fragrant with the main aerial refueling line running just over my (nav's) head on the flight deck (leak check during in-flight refueling was to reach up, run your hand over it, and sniff - like a leak from the pressurized line wouldn't be instantly catastrophic).
Course, the MC was often just another fuel truck. More than once played in a daisy chain with a KC-10 passing gas to a KC-135 passing to us (MC-130) which we dutifully passed on to a bunch of helicopters (I can't even compute the delivered cost of a gallon of that bug-juice).
Yogi

Tags
dale jackson, f-15, kc-135, stratoart