PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 388.23 MB
KC-135R art

Back in 1999, I was commissioned to paint squadron art on 5 KC-135R and T aircraft at Fairchild AFB.

More recently I was commissioned to paint "Lest We Forget" for an F-15 based at Klammath Falls, OR. The aircraft was part of the F-15 West Coast Demonstration Team.

photo by Kevin Scott (airliners.net)
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Those are beautiful works of art.

I hope someday to see the Klamath Fall Eagle with the nose art fly in here when I'm around with my camera. After all, the aircraft are only 150 miles south of me.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrunner View Post
Those are beautiful works of art.

I hope someday to see the Klamath Fall Eagle with the nose art fly in here when I'm around with my camera. After all, the aircraft are only 150 miles south of me.
Thanks so much!

Hopefully the art is still part of the team.

It was applied to aircraft 80-047, F-15C, a few years ago, the crewchief said it was in for heavy maintenance, so hopefully it's still flying. Those are old F-15C's they have there.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM

"City of Spokane" art was transfered to 097 bird after my USAF bit. I was a crew chief at Altus AFB and Fairchild AFB. The Boeing KC-135R and T models were just wonderful planes to work on. I will miss them. I hope to build a paper card model of the KC-135R soon.

Here it is on bird 0092

KC-135 Stratotanker 92 ARW "City of Spokane" on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here is the Mayor of Spokane [might not be mayor now] in front of my art :D

Another article with my art, I just found! Wow I love the internet!!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3624,4474052

Last edited by DJStratoArt; 04-24-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

When I was stationed in Alaska the second time, the 21st TFW flew F-15A and B models. I got to know some of the aircraft well having provided tours of the base giving people up close and personal looks at the wing aircraft.

Ten years later, after I retired, I was at the Rose Festival Air Show near Portland, Oregon, and saw an F-15 on static display. It was from the Oregon Air Guard unit and low and behold, it was one of the A models which I remembered well from my tour days at Elmendorf AFB. Talking to the pilot, I learned all the 21st wing's aircraft were transfered to the Oregon guard.

For a number of years, I would approach the Eagles on static display with an obvious reverence and spend several minutes running my hands along parts of the body I had run my hands over a decade earlier.

I was saddened to learn the Oregon ANG A model Eagles had been replaced with C models. Although the C is still a beautiful aircraft, my heart still belongs to the F-15A.
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
For a number of years, I would approach the Eagles on static display with an obvious reverence and spend several minutes running my hands along parts of the body I had run my hands over a decade earlier.
hehe, I've done that before too.

I used to do that all the time with my KC-135 tanker. Mine particularly was a T model, which used to be a Q model with the old A model engines. A Q or T model KC-135 is one that could carry it's own JP-8 fuel and also JP-7 for the SR-71 missions in the bladder tanks (belly). My plane did one SR mission while I was stationed at Fairchild 1998-99. Before the SR's finally were retired during that time.

I know it is weird to say, but I actually liked the smell of JP-7, it had a sweet smell to it.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJStratoArt View Post
I know it is weird to say, but I actually liked the smell of JP-7, it had a sweet smell to it.
Plus, you didn't have to worry about spontaneous combustion of it either! :p

I'm a big fan of the KC-135Rs. I got to go along on a refueling flight with the Nebraska Air Guard out of Lincoln, NE. It was an amazing experience I will never forget. I actually built a model of a KC-135 R and gave it to the base commander as a thank you. Bob Bendorf designed a pretty nice 135 model. It has multiple engine choices so you can do many models. I used the CFMs to make the R model.

Here's his site. Click on the pictures and the right click to down load.
Bob Bendorf's Paper Models- "click "on the picture to enter site! This site has papermodels that I designed for the

The model is over 3 pages of pictures. Use the first 3 pages of his Pan Am 707 build to help build it. The wing box formers can be a tad tricky.

I repainted mine into the Nebraska Air Guard colors on the tail and nose. I'm going to back and change the tail and nose #, and add nose art to match the plane I flew on.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Plus, you didn't have to worry about spontaneous combustion of it either! :p

I'm a big fan of the KC-135Rs. I got to go along on a refueling flight with the Nebraska Air Guard out of Lincoln, NE. It was an amazing experience I will never forget. I actually built a model of a KC-135 R and gave it to the base commander as a thank you. Bob Bendorf designed a pretty nice 135 model. It has multiple engine choices so you can do many models. I used the CFMs to make the R model.

Here's his site. Click on the pictures and the right click to down load.
Bob Bendorf's Paper Models- "click "on the picture to enter site! This site has papermodels that I designed for the

The model is over 3 pages of pictures. Use the first 3 pages of his Pan Am 707 build to help build it. The wing box formers can be a tad tricky.

I repainted mine into the Nebraska Air Guard colors on the tail and nose. I'm going to back and change the tail and nose #, and add nose art to match the plane I flew on.

OHHH Thank YOU for that! I'm going to grab that up before it disappears due to a web server crash or something.

I'll do "City of Spokane" and the R/T model. Though visually speaking the T model looks no different, it's just internal fuel line changes you can't see on the outside.

Yeah about that JP-7 they said you could throw a bucket of it on a fire and put the fire out. Not sure if I would try that, but considering what plane it is going in, I can nod an agreement. SR's had to have fuel that wouldn't just explode with heat of the white hot skin of the aircraft, but still be able to be ignited by the engines. Ingenious really.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Eternal Member

I spent my first four years in the Air Force in POL (Petroleum, Oils and Lubricants) passing gas to aircraft on the ground. At that time, the fuel of choice was JP-4, probably the worst jet fuel to handle, ever. It didn't take me long to become accustomed to the smell of the fuel.

Then one evening, myself and another troop were given the mission of emptying two of our R-5 refueling trucks, flushing them and then filling the tanks with JP-7. At that time, every fuels troop knew what JP-7 was used for. Several hours later, we were sent to an out of the way part of flightline and there sat an SR-71. After filling her tanks, the two of us repeated the process of cleaning the truck's tank and filling them with JP-4 again.

That SR-71 carried the tail number, 971. Six or seven years ago, myself and a couple of friends went to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. We had heard an SR-71 had recently been added to the displays. As I made my way through the other aircraft, I finally caught sight of the Blackbird and there she was...61-7971...the same SR-71 I had passed gas to more than 30 years earlier. I spent a lot of time at the aircraft and when one of the floor workers at the museum came over and asked me why I had crossed the rope barrier surrounding the aircraft, I told him why.

He didn't mind as much then. But DJ, you reminded me of something I had long forgotten...the smell of JP-7. It was quite a bit different than that of JP-4.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
He didn't mind as much then. But DJ, you reminded me of something I had long forgotten...the smell of JP-7. It was quite a bit different than that of JP-4.
Yes indeed it did. And it felt different on your skin too, not that you'd want too have it all over you, but after doing fuel sump draining on a large plane like a KC-135R and often in high winds, one gets accustomed to having fuel all over oneself, especially if the pesky sumps stuck. (that's why the lower ranking kids got picked on for doing them).

But I'd rather have fuel over me than hydraulic fluid, nasty red stuff.

I used to supervise loading 80K-120K lb fuel loads on my jet. Though It could go up to 200K, that wasn't the norm. When I was stationed at Prince Sultan during it's "tent city" days (VERY nice base btw), we had to use trucks to load JP-8 onto the tankers. And those took a loooooooongggg time (glad I was the sup, instead of the guy in the cockpit monitoring the panel).
Google Adsense

Tags
dale jackson, f-15, kc-135, stratoart