PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Step 7 - The main assembly phase

Having shown how to create a larger can surface in step 6, I produced a number of larger panels of cans in order to build some of the major parts of the B-29 such as the two main sections of the fuselage and the wings. Some of these larger panels such as the wings and vertical tail will require some reinforcement in order to better retain its shape. I use a sheet aluminum purchased from Lowes for this application:

Comes in a roll from 10 to 14 feet and is found in the roofing section.

The main fuselage section has been rolled and once again clear vinyl placed into the two windows in this section. This part of the fuselage was created from a panel of 4 cans:

The next piece is the aft part of the fuselage, also created from a panel of four cans. These two pieces are rolled across the metal shaft of my golf putter to round them into the correct shape and then they are glued to the appropriate tabs:

Next is the vertical tail. Here you can see both sides are cut out and then both sides are reinforced with a piece of the sheet aluminum cut to fit and then glued inside prior to assembly:

Now moving on to the horizontal parts of the tail. Again, each piece is cut out and then a matching piece is traced out in the sheet aluminum to be glued to each part for reinforcement:

First part from can

The reinforcing piece traced onto sheet aluminum

The can reinforced with the sheet aluminum. Now some of the purists out there will no doubt notice that all of these leading edge pieces will be flat. This is because when working with can aluminum, it is nearly impossible to roll these into the typical wing structure without the cans warping, bending, buckling, or denting at least on smaller scale models. I have been able to roll a more realistic wing structure on much larger models, such as my 1/18th scale MD-80.

Finally, the main wings are created from a panel of six cans and then reinforced with the sheet aluminum. Once again, they are not rounded like real wings but are instead linear to avoid that dreaded wing buckling and denting:

Now its on to the vertical tail assembly. The pieces are joined with the sheet aluminum to give it strength and so that it is completely straight. These same sheet aluminum pieces are rolled on the golf putter and then used to fasten the vertical tail assembly onto the aft fuselage. They will then be paneled over with can later on in construction:

Now it is time to join the front part of the fuselage to the nose cone we created at the beginning of the project. The pieces are test fitted prior to gluing and then scored with a hobby knife to mark optimal placement of the parts together so the fuselage remains straight and doesn't look crooked:

Next comes the tricky step of joining the aft fuselage to the front fuselage we just constructed above. Again the pieces are test fitted and then scored with the hobby knife to mark the appropriate joining point and then finally glued:

Definitely starting to look like a B-29 now. But we need to strengthen the joint we just glued with some tabs and then we panel over it. This will make the whole fuselage stronger:

Now for the next update, we will work on the wings and then start on the four engines!

More to come soon!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
A magnificent presentation of technique and
workmanship. It is really taking shape. I see
what you mean on the artistic value of the
cans outer surface being left original...Ron
Old 07-17-2010, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwithrsd View Post

it looks a bit like Michael Jackson's tour aircraft - if he would have toured around in the 40's :D
very nice model and will be interesting to see the rest of it

by the way:
did you drink up all the cans yourself?
does anybody in your family have any teeth left? :p
do you send christmas cards to your dentist? :D
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
[/LEFT]
by the way:
did you drink up all the cans yourself?
does anybody in your family have any teeth left? :p
do you send christmas cards to your dentist? :D
Actually, most of the cans have come my way through various contacts such as my generous IPMS club members, my in-laws and other relatives. I let them drink the soda and merely provide a home for the cans...:D
Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
A magnificent presentation of technique and
workmanship. It is really taking shape. I see
what you mean on the artistic value of the
cans outer surface being left original...Ron

Thanks Ron:D
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwithrsd View Post
Actually, most of the cans have come my way through various contacts such as my generous IPMS club members, my in-laws and other relatives. I let them drink the soda and merely provide a home for the cans...:D
that is one way of staying healthy :D
and when they know what you do with them they'll keep'em coming

cool way of "getting rid" of old cans
Old 07-18-2010, 04:36 AM

Very informative tutorial! Makes me want to try and attempt to build one as well. :D

Now if only I could convince my house mates that this is just another way to recycle cans...
Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Step 8- adding the wings to the fuselage

Now that we have assembled the vertical tail and the fuselage, it is time to add the wings. The wings will require some support when added to the fuselage so we will fasten them with brackets made of the sheet aluminum that we purchased from Lowes so that they don't sag.

The brackets are bent with a ruler and then one side is rounded so that they will glue flush to the fuselage. To support the wings, we will need a total of six of these per wing, three for the top of the wing and three for the bottom.

Another view of the bracket. These are crucial to preventing wing sag when working with aluminum aircraft models.

The wings are then glued to the fuselage with the sheet aluminum brackets and then they are paneled over with aluminum can so that no connecting pieces can be seen. Here you can see the assembly has been completed, paneling has been done and the B-29 is awaiting its four engines...

Next, the engine assembly!

More to come soon!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM

are you using the same scissors that you cut the can to cut the aluminum sheeting? Do you using joining tabs, or the tabs that come printed on the model? Do you reinforce both sides of the control surfaces with sheet aluminum or only one piece before joining them together?

I am absolutely loveing this tutorial and cant wait to try it myself. Thanks again
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencermitchellmusic View Post
are you using the same scissors that you cut the can to cut the aluminum sheeting? Do you using joining tabs, or the tabs that come printed on the model? Do you reinforce both sides of the control surfaces with sheet aluminum or only one piece before joining them together?

I am absolutely loveing this tutorial and cant wait to try it myself. Thanks again

I do use the same scissors but I also make frequent use of my scissors sharpener to make sure that they don't dull rather quickly. I for the most part use the tabs that come printed on the model but I also use the reinforcing of the interior of the cans to further discourage anything for coming lose. Yes, I do reinforce both sides of the control surfaces with the sheet aluminum. This makes the surfaces appear a bit thicker and gives it some substance as well.
Google Adsense