PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Aluminum Can Model B-29; a tutorial on how I build them

At the behest of many interested modelers here on the forum I have decided to show how I create wonderful works of art built from nothing more than aluminum cans. I have spent many years perfecting my craft and I even hold copyrights for some of my techniques and designs here in the US.

I just recently completed a 1/18th scale SR-71 Blackbird designed by Mike Bauer built entirely from 475 Coke Zero cans for an upcoming IPMS show at the end of this month. I have to thank Mike for his wonderful plans which allowed me to build the model at just about six feet in length:

After completing this project, I had intended to start a new project and I chose to do a B-29 Bomber at the request of my wife. After sharing some of my models on another thread, I was asked to start a tutorial on how I build these models. So, without further adieu, I now start the tutorial on aluminum can model building.

Step One - choosing and cleaning your cans

For this project I went into my workshop and retrieved 40 Diet Pepsi cans that were free of dents of blemishes. This was no easy task as I have several thousand cans in my garage and locating 40 similar cans proved to be a task that required nearly twenty minutes. Once I had the cans, the next step was to wash them thoroughly to prepare them for shelling. The cans are washed in warm water and dish soap to remove soda residue and any other residue that may cause them to be less suitable for construction and may prevent the glue from curing during construction. I do not strip the paint off of them, nor do I recommend the process anywhere where you have children or pets. I have heard of this technique, however, I feel that it removes the novelty of the model if the can artwork is removed. In this case I chose Diet Pepsi cans for this B-29 because of the beautiful metallic luster they put off which reminds me of the aircraft aluminum texture of the B-29.

Step Two - Shelling the cans to prepare for construction

The next step is to shell the cans and take them from a round surface to a more workable flat surface. To do this, we start by making an incision with a sharp hobby knife at the bottom of the can and continue to cut around the can until the bottom is free as seen in the picture below:

Once the bottom is off, I then take a pair of hobby scissors rated for metal and make an cut from the bottom of the can to the top vertically. Once this cut is made, it is then possible to make a horizontal cut at the top of the can to start the removal of the top part of the can so that you have shelled off the top and bottom and are left with only the skin. I then cut off 1/8th inch from each edge of the can to remove any bent or jagged edges so that all is remaining is a flat and smooth can surface to work with as seen below:

Getting the can to appear exactly as is shown above is critical for any construction attempts since the cans will be either glued to other cans to create larger panels, or will have parts traced onto them to begin construction. This process will also allow you to determine if the can has any dents that should eliminate it from any construction attempts at this point. My general rule of thumb is that if the can does not lay flat at this point when held down on a flat surface, it generally will not be used for construction but rather for reinforcing of the model later on. Repeat this process until you have a all cans shelled and ready for the next step.

Step Three - Tracing parts onto the cans

Once I have cut out the pattern that I have chosen for my model, in this case a Fiddler's Green B-29 pattern, I then take those parts and begin to trace them onto my can skins. I use a fine point permanent marker for tracing and always use the inside surface of the can for tracing the parts as seen below:

The first nose section of the B-29 ready for tracing. Not much different than building a typical paper model. However, its about to get a bit more interesting.

The neater you have shelled the can, the easier tracing will be. This is why it is critical to remove at least 1/8th of an inch at each edge of the can.

first piece is traced and is ready to be cut out of the can shell. Note that the window pieces were first cut out of the card stock and then traced onto the can so they can in turn be cut out with a hobby knife.

In the next update, I will begin the process of cutting out and assembling the first pieces of the nose of the aircraft...

Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Yabadabado!

Thanks for doing this! Like I mentioned, tried to do a model a few years ago, but found I didn't have a clue!

Mike Bauer
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 107.05 MB
Send a message via MSN to bf109
thanks for the thread ,
when i was a teenager someone got me a alu plane , and i always wonderd how it was made so nice from cans (fosters in my case ).

i'll be watching this thread with great intrest
Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
This is a great start. I am anxiously awaiting more of
the techniques involved. Sounds as if you have a ready
supply of pop cans for your hobby. When I tried this
many years ago I also used the quart size beer cans
that can be found at most supermarkets. These provided
a larger surface material. I also gave thought to obtaining
the aluminum can material from in its flat unpainted
original form prior to the canning process. I never
followed up on this but maybe a Brewery or beverage
cannery could be contacted for information. Again thanks
for sharing this Tutorial. Ron
Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Very interesting. I've not considered this, and will be following your tutorial avidly.

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
This is a great start. I am anxiously awaiting more of
the techniques involved. Sounds as if you have a ready
supply of pop cans for your hobby. When I tried this
many years ago I also used the quart size beer cans
that can be found at most supermarkets. These provided
a larger surface material. I also gave thought to obtaining
the aluminum can material from in its flat unpainted
original form prior to the canning process. I never
followed up on this but maybe a Brewery or beverage
cannery could be contacted for information. Again thanks
for sharing this Tutorial. Ron
Hi Ron,

You bring up some very good questions about sizes, Ngwithrsd, do you know what type of a the aluminum they use to make the cans? (2024t3 etc.)

I realize that using the cans is cheaper than buying, that if you use the "paint" side to your advantage that with ingenious use of the the lettering, you can use them to enhance the model, but I would be interested in getting some bigger sized sheets. Making a 9ft long (1inch = 1 foot) Blackbird is at the very limits of the cardstock strength (for flying).

I've already learned what I did wrong from your first post, used aircraft tin snips to cut the can and then didn't clean the edges like you show!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Eternal Member

ghshinn,
For you and our fellow modelers you can
purchase the original book that I have that
gives a good step by step guide on the basic
process involved. Just Google ( Can-Du Publications)
and it will pull up the site that sells the book.
It can be purchased as an e-book as a download
or the printed form and they accept PayPal.
It is very informative and is illustrated. Ron
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM

great turorial! very descriptive and helpful! I cant wait to try one of my own. really look forward to watching this come together.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
This will be fun. I might have to try my hand at an aluminum FG model at some point. Maybe the Boeing 299 - would make a great aluminum model.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
You bring up some very good questions about sizes, Ngwithrsd, do you know what type of a the aluminum they use to make the cans? (2024t3 etc.)

I realize that using the cans is cheaper than buying, that if you use the "paint" side to your advantage that with ingenious use of the the lettering, you can use them to enhance the model, but I would be interested in getting some bigger sized sheets. Making a 9ft long (1inch = 1 foot) Blackbird is at the very limits of the cardstock strength (for flying).

Mike, I don't know what type of aluminum they use to make cans and I have several thousand cans of all sizes, short and tall.

Incidentally, I have contacted many local bottling and canning centers through contacts I have from my IPMS club to determine what I could obtain from them. We contacted our local Pepsico center to determine if we could gain sponsorship for a Guinness World Record attempt and if we could have access to the aluminum, unpainted cans, or otherwise. Although Pepsi had some interest in sponsoring us, they stated that due to cost and company policies they could not provide us with unpainted or raw aluminum sheets. Coca Cola and even Wal-mart where my spouse has worked for over 10 years, told us the same thing.

It is for this reason that I have developed a technique for creating panels of cans for large size projects. It is time consuming and it can take hours to accomplish, but it solves the problem of needing a larger surface...
Google Adsense