PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge > Paper Birthday

Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Let me join in the chorus of well wishes Don.
I hope you and your family made a great day of it.
Cheers!
Mike
Old 09-21-2020, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 917.06 MB
Nga mihi mo tou ra whanau, Don! Happy Birthday, sir!
Old 09-21-2020, 01:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Happy Birthday, Don! Wishing you all the best from The Netherlands: Fijne verjaardag!

Regards,
Erik
Old 09-21-2020, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.28 GB
Many Many Happy returns of the day Don Boose. The most active member and a genuine admirer of our community. Have great days ahead and take care.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Happy Birthday Don!
Google Adsense
Old 09-21-2020, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for all these birthday wishes

Many thanks to all the old and new friends who sent me birthday greetings. All these good wishes added to a most enjoyable and busy day during which I did many of the things I most enjoy.

Right after I awoke and made a mug of hot tea (PG tips Gold), I opened up the computer and found a message from Jim Gausman, who was looking for the serial number of a U-6A Beaver assigned to the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion (Air Reconnaissance Support) at Can Tho, Vietnam, in 1968. I wasn’t able to find the serial number, but I did find some useful information. By coincidence, Can Tho in the Mekong River Delta was the location of the 9th Vietnamese Army Infantry Division. I was advisor to the 1st Battalion, 14th Regiment, of that division in 1966-67. I may have seen that U-6A flying overhead.

Then I read Glen’s (Birder’s) thread about his excellent model of a Yokosuka E14Y, contributed a little information on Japanese Pacific War floatplanes, and learned a lot more, especially about the E14Y that is sunken in the Kwajalein lagoon. Float Plane, E14Y Glen sub launcher

So, I began the day with aviation historical research.

Later, while Lil and I were having breakfast in our sunroom, a hawk flew in and settled on the rail fence. I wasn’t sure of the species, but managed a hasty snapshot, which I posted in the “Birding Fun” thread. Glen, Doug (SCEtoAUX), and Rick (Rickstef) soon identified the creature as a juvenile Cooper’s hawk. "birding" fun

Lil and I then walked down to the Conodoguinet Creek on a bright sunny day and watched two great white herons in flight and a belted kingfisher that flew in chattering and perched on the snag of an old hackberry tree.

The day was only half over and I had been in the company of my Papermodelers’ Forum friends, had done some historical research, saw some interesting birds, and did a little nature walking in the company of my sweetheart and best friend of more than half a century.

In the afternoon, we had a virtual birthday party with our adult children, grandchildren, and some close friends. The party included a cake (the granddaughters in Texas, the grandsons in Falls Church and the daughters in Maine simultaneous blew out the candles on their cakes as I blew out the candle on mine). Then I unwrapped the presents. Lots of books (aviation and military history, Japanese literature, nature, and some light reading from a few favorite authors), fountain pen ink, beans and herbs from son Don3’s garden, a jigsaw puzzle with a Japanese wood block motif, a bottle of wine, and two jars of kimchi hand made by Daughter-in-Law Judy.

In the evening, I read a little from each of the books, worked the New York Times acrostic, and finished reading Ian Toll, Twilight of the Gods: War in the Western Pacific 1944-1945. Before bed, I did some work on Aaron Murphy’s DH93 Don (Ahem), so I got in some paper modeling as well.

And, of course, classical music and jazz from WRTI in Philadelphia were playing on the radio all day long.

To my way of thinking, this was a very full and satisfying way to spend my birthday.

Just now, I am indulging in another pleasure – bean cookery – having a small pot of the beans from Don3’s garden bubbling on the stove with olive oil, a crushed garlic clove, and a little chili powder. Should be ready soon.

Best wishes to all of you. I look forward to spending a lot more time in your company in the future.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Happy Birthday Don Boose-200920_back_garden_fence_coopers_hawk_r.jpg   Happy Birthday Don Boose-200920_dons_80th_birthday_party.jpg   Happy Birthday Don Boose-200920_murphy_1-48_dh93.jpg   Happy Birthday Don Boose-200921_beans_from_don3s_garden.jpg  
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I think I see a nice slice of ham in that pot of beans.
If you pass that recipe along, I'll have to give it a try!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
with a little delay ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

ciao
Jp
Old 09-21-2020, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Grazie, JP64!

Hi Mike –

I’m glad you read my post.

This was the “recipe” I used today:

For a single serving of beans: Soak 1/4 or 1/3 cup of beans in water overnight.

In the morning, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Smash one garlic clove with the flat of a chef's knife and sauté it in the olive oil for a little while, add a little slice of pork butt, a dash of chili powder, and the beans.

Cover with chicken broth to a depth of about 2 inches. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat and simmer covered until the beans are tender, adding broth or water from time to time if required. Once the beans become tender uncover and let simmer to reduce the liquid. Eat with a chunk of baguette.

These beans from my son’s garden were ready to eat in one hour, but it usually takes longer. You learn from experience. Yellow eye beans take about 2-3 hours. Little red pinquitos are still chewy after six hours.

It is not a precise recipe. Sometimes I sauté some combination of shallots, onions, carrots, and/or celery. Sometimes I use water instead of broth. I often add additional seasonings: oregano, basil, thyme, various kinds of peppercorns, and so on. Sometimes I use hot sausage or thick bacon instead of pork butt. For a larger pot of beans, I like to put in a ham hock – removing the meat from the bone once it is tender, chopping it up, and putting it back into the pot.

Cooked with pork butt, sausage, or bacon and broth, the beans don’t need any salt, but if I cook them in water I check the taste and add salt, adobo, or Cajun seasoning toward the end. You have to be careful. I find that beans don’t usually have a lot of taste while cooking, but at some point near the end, they suddenly absorb the liquids – and the taste of seasonings - quickly and become very flavorful (or too salty if you miscalculated).

Don

PS:

The caption to the cartoon reads, "I think we should focus on what we do best: dining out."

The poster says: "I'll give you a kitten. Cute black tiger." It led to our adoption of "Tiger" when we lived in Japan in 1987. He is in the photograph leaping over his sister, "Kiki-chan."
Attached Thumbnails
Happy Birthday Don Boose-200921_beans_from_don3s_garden-cooked.jpg   Happy Birthday Don Boose-200921_dons_bean_larder.jpg  
Old 09-21-2020, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
I am late to the party, but glad you had a Happy Birthday Don!

Doug
Google Adsense