PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > Paper Models in the Wild

Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Car Model Magazine 1967

Hi all,

I found the following image on Tumblr, which is the same place where I found that funky deformed Hot Rod Van from the August 1976 Hot Rod Magazine.

After seeing this image, and reblogging it, and sending a copy of it to my facebook feed, I went to Ebay to see if I could find any more issues of the 1967 year, of Car Model. I did, those are attached below.

So far I have been able to learn that during 1967 these models were released on the cover of the magazine, and all of them are H0 in scale, some internal shots of the magazine show how to assemble the model, and fit it to a slot car running gear.
Swindle's Backup Pickup (April 67)
A Jet/Turbine Car (September 67)
Dr. Fate's Car (October 67)
Hemi Under Glass (August 67)
Little Red Wagon (March 67)
A Racing Team Hauler (November/December 67)

One offer on ebay is for the second half of 1967, August through December, at $70, I will have to wait to get those.

So, if anyone has those magazines in their collection still, there might be money to be made for you

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600-1-.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600-2-.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600-3-.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600-4-.jpg  

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2018, 07:02 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Here is a shot of the inside of the magazine, showing the build of the Little Red Wagon
Attached Thumbnails
Car Model Magazine 1967-s-l1600-5-.jpg  
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-26-2018, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Rick,
Nice find. Since my kids were born in the mid to late '60s, they did not get into slot racing until well into the 70s. I missed those mags completely.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I never knew that there were card bodies to fit on slot cars. We used to buy the clear vacform bodies at the local department store and trim and paint them. Curious what jet car that was.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I went looking on Pinterest, maybe trying to find one or more months I was initially missing, and I came across a good image of the December issue, and clicked on that was dropped on this page 1967 CAR MODEL DIGEST & MAGAZINE

and the entire year is shown on the page

The other models that were missing from my initial search were from the June and July issues
Drag School Drop Out (June 67)
The Draggin' Paddy Wagon (July 67)
and they have also a better scan of the November and December covers as well.

I have attached the better cover scans for those months the magazine has the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_03.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_04.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_06.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_07.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_08.jpg  

Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_09.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_10.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_11.jpg   Car Model Magazine 1967-1967_12.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

As I keep digging and digging, I came across this forum, and a thread dedicated to the paper models from the above magazines Dr. Fate & other paper model slot cars | Coffin Corner 2
and I was surprised to see Dave showing interest, and the actual built up cars, and an additional issue, February 1968, the Christmas tree and Timing Tower

There is also mention of panels that could fit into the Hot Rod van I found some time ago, and a related Big Rig hot rod out of the August 1976 issue of Car Toons.