PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Paper Surgeon's projects

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceglue View Post
you wrote about a new philosophy in demonstrating muscles as a model. Can you explain why this is needed? Or what kind of advantages you get with your approach (in teaching anatomy or something else)? Or it is a game, what can be done with paper...

Greetings
peaceglue
When we talk about a new philosophy, one has to be careful. It is a little like copyright in that, usually, someone else did it before. The philosophy is therefore not so new (Chinese tradtionalists and even Leonardo da Vinci and Rene Descartes had some ideas about it).

My idea is to show two pictures, one an artists 'form' of the human body, and one a pictorial 'form' of twisted paper strips. In anatomy teachings, the notion of 'form' and 'function' are used extensively. My idea is to demonstrate firstly, by voluntary third party observation, a clear relationship between 'moebius form' and 'anatomical form'. Anyone seeing the relationship repeatedly, might conclude that the moebius form is a real anatomical form.

Then the question arises, if the anatomical form is moebius, then what 'functions' follow from this observation? The pictures I have attached of the legs, show two axes, one at the hip (blue earbud) and one at the ankle (green earbud). The knee has no paper axis, but shows a complicated crossing-over of 'paper' ligaments and muscles.

As an antomical engineer, I may have to design, for example, a traditional knee joint from steel and plastic components. How many factors one takes into account is a matter of choice. But the end user of the artificial knee joint has to live with the consequences of the designer's choices.

It is definintely not a game.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
You certainly have my attention, it will be interesting to watch this progress, I never have seen paper modeling being involved in science like this
BTW, I have an artifical knee
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
Wow, as a microbiologist I can agree with the moebuis form. No body part/biochemical pathway can be studied in isolation, everything affects or is connected to something else. Never thought of the applying moebuis though!

Currently building: USS Defiant from DS9 (Own Design!)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Thumbs up You are more than "On the Correct Track".

Having had some training in human anatomy as an Embalmer (now retired) I am very interested in your new posited paradigm.

To me it makes sense, in an intuitive rather than investigative manner.
This in no way discounts the investigative and interpretive aspects of both the posited (new) Paradigm and the philosophy related there-unto.

The Ancients, be they Occidental or Oriental; achieved great insights into humanity, both mentally, spiritually and physically/medically. Most of human philosophy, at root, can be traced back to those achievements, be they guised as "Spiritual" or "Philosophic".

I'm inclined by experience and training to Agree with your proposed Paradigm, Viz: that whilst mathematicians decry it as an "impossibility": the Moebius formation in the real/physical World is the basis of much of what Kant, Heigel, and even Des Cartes (though he actively denies it, as does Sartre) attempt to describe as "The Devine" in Humanity. At the opposite extreme is Neitsche; whom in an attempt to describe the positive non-physical aspects of humanity (thus; his interpretation of "The Devine") makes more of them and of humanity itself than the reality suggests and indicates.
{{But here the discussion enters into debate between the various Philosophical "Schools", Viz: between Platonism and Cartesian-ism.}}
The mathematicians have a Moebius Strip laid-horizontal as a Symbol for the concept "Infinity": yet fail to perceive that same symbol as what it truely IS: a two-dimensional Representation of that which is a Three-Dimensional Reality.

Your proposed (new) Paradigm reflects exactly {in modern terms} that reality which the surviving fragments of the writings of the Ancients attempt to both describe and convey.

From the various studyings, educations, readings and experiences I personally have undergone, I can attest that for this modern World Your proposed new Paradigm comes as yet the closest to affirming that which the Ancients wished their descendants to Know of Humanity and the realities and Worlds it lives within.

Kind and Respectful Regards ContourCraig, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post

From the various studyings, educations, readings and experiences I personally have undergone, I can attest that for this modern World Your proposed new Paradigm comes as yet the closest to affirming that which the Ancients wished their descendants to Know of Humanity and the realities and Worlds it lives within.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Thanks for the support!

In my experience, philosophies are "views" of reality. Each view is correct in so far as the viewpoint is maintained. It took me nearly thirty years of constant application of classical mechanical concepts, for example, to derieve this paradigm that is not included in the mechanical view.

The equation of a sphere in cubic x,y,z coordinates is very complicated; as is the equation of a square in angle and radius coordinates. But very simple if vice versa. It is philiosophical horses for philosophical courses, remembering that they are all describing the same thing.

Paper modeling is a simple way to create so-called 3D forms out of 2D paper. At the end of the day we cut fold and paste, to build a paper model. (Paper is generally "formed" into flat flexible sheets. In this sense a simple sheet of "paper" contains a host of philosophical and mathematical assumptions, flat paper stacks, i.e. books, form the very foundation of mass education).

Cutting, folding and pasting are actions forbidden in topology. Even though cutting twisting and pasting paper strip appears to be a good way of demonstrating a topology!

I have been looking (unsuccessfully) for classical paid work recently, so my paper anatomy thread has stalled...
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Wow, the implications here. Taking our hobby to an entirely new level, I like it!

As for classical paid work... I'm in the same boat. The joys of job hunting.

Niki
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 AM

Hello, I am back.

I have just had a new insight, that, after several/many years of stagnation with respect to 'paper' modelling, may enable me to progress with my paper model demonstration

To answer some questions. Why paper?

Firstly paper is flat and flexible. It is thus technically a 2D sheet that can bend into 3D objects. In mechanics 2D planar vectors remain always in that plane (due to law of conservation of momentum).

However as living beings, we can violate the law of conservation of momentum (or at least temporarily trick it). For example, when we start to walk after standing still with zero momentum. Even on a slippery flat floor, we can impart on ourselves linear momentum across the floor.

The 2D to 3D transitions possible in paper modelling thus may have the potential to model the deeper reality of the biological mechanisms needed to transfer momentum in 3 and even 4 dimensions. No real understanding of complicated maths is necessary, merely paper scissor and glue.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:42 AM

Pelvis shape - anatomical verses klein bottle

Here is a rendition of the anatomical hips being formed from a classical klein bottle that is split into two halves. The individual halves are both moebius strips, with opposite chirality
Attached Thumbnails
Human anatomy-hip-bone-moebius.jpg  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:21 AM

muscle form

The muscles also appear to have the klein bottle form. The tendon line corresponds to the 'pinch line' on the klein bottle. Forces acting on the pinch line can potentially shift direction without effecting the muscle positioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Human anatomy-kb-pinched-torus-muscle-form.jpg  

Tags
human anatomy, klein bottle, moebius band