PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
the only thing that separates the CDR suit from the LMP suit is that the LMP suit lacks the red stripes isn't it?
Yes It is. I saw many pictures in the Project Apollo Archive and I didn't find any difference but red stripes.

I did some small step ahead preparing the Moonscape: the wooden base, the "Lunar tool" that I copied from Alan Bean's site

I added a small particular: the Lunar Surface Checklist on the left wrist, although there is a historical mistake: Cernan wore the book (see the left insert) But Victoria appeared on the book of Pete Conrad in the AS-12.

Here what I found in a group:

"Victoria Rathgeb, AKA Victoria Vetri, AKA Angela Dorian, has been arrested and charged with attempted murder for shooting her husband.
She was the 1968 Playmate of the Year and, according to IMDB: "A photo of her that was in Playboy magazine was pasted into astronaut Pete Conrad's Apollo 12 lunar-surface checklist by the Apollo backup crew. Conrad wore the checklist on his spacesuit cuff and first found the photo during his walk on the Moon. The caption read "Seen any interesting hills and valleys?"

Warning-rated PG-13

http://www.hq. nasa.gov/ alsj/a12/ a12_cdrcuff. pdf

Just a joke, :D

Best,Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
will you release your enhancements for download? ...
2Kamser,
I just saw that Julius kindly published on his site the pictures of my model and he made available the pattern (very bulk) of the Hasselblad 500EL, the modified type for the Moon, that I designed.

I'm very proud :D
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
with all rights too my friend :D
another difference with the CDR and LMP suits are the color of the neck ring, CDR's is red and LMP's is blue (think the CMP is red as well as both are commanders of each vessel when separated)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
another difference with the CDR and LMP suits are the color of the neck ring, CDR's is red and LMP's is blue (think the CMP is red as well as both are commanders of each vessel when separated)
About the CMP I found this picture of the Apollo 17 astronaut Ron Evans ( the CMP), with the red strip on, while he retrieves a film canister from the Lunar Mapping Camera on board the Command/Service Module (CSM) America.

About the color of the neck ring, I don't understand what do you refere, i found only this picture of the two helmets. :o

And the first trial of dirtying ...

Attached Thumbnails
Last Man on te Moon-as17-134-20524hr.jpg  

Last edited by nando; 10-26-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
About the CMP I found this picture of the Apollo 17 astronaut Ron Evans ( the CMP), with the red strip on, while he retrieves a film canister from the Lunar Mapping Camera on board the Command/Service Module (CSM) America.
yes as he is the "commander" of the CSM (2nd in command after CDR)
he also has the red stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
About the color of the neck ring, I don't understand what do you refere, i found only this picture of the two helmets. :o
the neck ring is where the helmet connects to the suit ans is not visible on the shots from the moon as the helmet is covered
but if you look at crew pics when they are suited you'll see what i mean
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wonderful thread!

I think the "dirty" version of the moon boots really came out well...can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hey guys, my 2 cents about the red striped helmet Ron Evans wears in the picture: I think it's the commander's helmet after all, because when Evans retreived the scientific stuff from outside, Cernan and Schmitt stayed inside the CM. Evans just "borrowed" Cernan's helmet for the occasion. They didn't take one extra outer helmet case along just for this EVA.
Taking three outer helmets to the moon also would have added to the weight of the whole mission and for the CMP only a fishbowl helmet and a simpler suit was needed during the rest of the flight, hence the different backpack.
So the mission plans were to let Ron take the CDR's helmet for his EVA. The blue and red neckrings are clearly shown in a lot of group pictures of the crews. The rings of the suits of Apollo 9 seem to be all blue, just as those of the Tenners, although they almost seem black here. At this pic of the Apollo 11 crew Buzz seems to be the only one with a blue neckring. Pete, Al and Dick all wear blue rings, but okay, an all-swabbo crew is blue, right? The original Apollo 13 team all wear red, just as The Three Rookies and their successors of Apollo 15 and the Apollo 16 crew. Perhaps it has to do with wearing training suits for the photo op?
Anyway, the neckring is not visible when the "moon helmet" is over the inner helmet because of the Beta cloth overlap with the suit, so for the A7 EVA suits it is not an issue.
(but this is only my two cents)

The astronaut and its additions is really great by the way! I also like the addition of the more crumpled paper for realism.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I think I'll have to slow down a little on the model, as I have just had a little dental work, thanks anyway to everyone for the kind remarks.

But before I take a pain killer, I would like to give a final and definitive contribution to the question of the color of the neck rings.

I gathered pictures of three astronauts, during the final check of the space suits before liftoff, and all have the neck rings RED.

Thanks
Nando
:(

PS: Note the notice on the wall ... sigh

Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I just came across this thread and could have probably answered your questions about the use of red bands on the Apollo Suits.

They were worn by the Mission commanders only as far as my memory serves me. I worked on the Apollo 15, 16 & 17 missions and that's how the red bands were set up back then.

The blue and red neck rings were never used in any way during the mission because, as was pointed out in an earlier comment, they were not visible during the mission EVA (extra vehicular activity).

The red bands were just a quick visual aid to the ground personnel watching and directing back home in Houston.

This is an excellent card model of the Apollo suits, very well done.

SFX
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Mooscape

A little step ahead today.

As i said, I did it using paper machè.

I took some newspaper, i put it in some warm water for some day, and i mixed it with wallpaper glue.

Then I stretched it on the base and i imprinted the footprints using the "Lunar tool".

Finally i scattered on it some dust of pastel.

The final result seems to me good. Here inserted for compare some detail of the actual Moonscape during tha AS-17.

Best, Nando :D
Google Adsense