PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Most excellent results!!

Can't wait to see this with the "weathered" suit!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Bad news

As You can see in the following picture, I put the paper machè directly on a cardboard disk, but the dryng process is different from center to the edge.
Thereafter the disk bent itself irremediably. :(

Now i covered a new disk with a plastic and aliminum sheet and i put a new cover of paper machè on it.

I know that when we procede using a trial&error process, we waste time&money, but we gain invaluable experience.

Best regards, Nando :o

Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Moonscape done

The second trial was worst then the first, therefore I went back to the first and I flattened it. The result is acceptable for me, so i glued it on the base.

Now I have to get dirty my astronaut and I am nervous ...
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Nando,

Wonderful project. Just go extremely slowly with the lunar dust. You'll do great.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.45 MB
help needed

Hi. I'm new to the hobby and I am buliding the 1/48 LEM. I would also like to scale down to 1/48 the astronaut to go with the LEM. Could you please help? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
Gonna brush on some lunar dust? :D

I'd like to scale one down to go with my LEM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillorizzo View Post
Hi. I'm new to the hobby and I am buliding the 1/48 LEM. I would also like to scale down to 1/48 the astronaut to go with the LEM. Could you please help? Thank you
When i designed the Hasselblad, I estimated that the Astronaut is at 1/12th,. When i added some particular, for work with a correct reference, I scanned a printed page of the model and then I worked on the images. I had to scan the printed pages because the model is protected.

With the pages scanned You can resize them, reducing them at 1/3rd. Be aware do not to share the scanned images for do not violate the copyright.

Otherwise, if You have a printer that give You the possibility to scale down the output, you have simply to print at 33%.

I hope this could help You.

Nando
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Nando, A nice result! The astronaut and the base look really good.
A tip for the base: If you would have made the base paper disc wet in advance, it might not have curved as much as it did. It looks like it is made of beermat-like paper and that's very absorbent. The papier-maché is wet and its humidity gets sucked into the rest of the paper. That causes the whole to dry irregulrarly.
Now, when you keep the outsides wet, the thing might have dried a bit more evenly.

An other idea you could use is to make the papier-maché underground a bit bigger and on a flat, non-sticky surface. Like a mirror or something like that. When it has dried, you cut it out to its specific shape and glue it to your base for strength.

People who make aquarel paintings (Watercolour) do something to stretch their paper to prevent wobblyness. They first make the paper they are going to work on completely wet, so it expands. Then put it on a straight, flat background. They use a paper sticky tape, much like the lick-strips on an envelope, to glue the paper in position. When it dries it has been stretched. When they start painting, the paper won't wobble.

Just some tips.

@ Lillorizzo: Be aware that when you scale the astronaut down to 33%, most parts are unbelievable tiny and very hard to cut out, fold and glue. When you, as you say, are new to the hobby, you have chosen two very hard subjects to start with. The LM is a elaborate piece of work, (especially U-Don's one). The astronaut is a very cool piece of work, but to scale it down that far, even though I myself like working in the almost nanoscales, looks like a very big challenge. However, I wish you good luck with the build! Show us the results!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Awesome result, Nando...can't wait to see how you dirty up the suit...be brave, your trial run earlier really looked superb!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
...The papier-maché is wet and its humidity gets sucked into the rest of the paper. That causes the whole to dry irregulrarly.

....An other idea you could use is to make the papier-maché underground a bit bigger and on a flat, non-sticky surface. ....
Thank You for your hints. I think that my problem comes also from my hurry to see the paper machè dried. Also the second trial, on the non-stichy surface, was worst then the first one for the same hurry. I'm ashamed to show the result :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
...can't wait to see how you dirty up the suit...be brave
Jim
Jim, be patient with me. I'm still fighting with the base. Now I glued the paper machè on the wooden base but it doesn't want to stay flat ....
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
Jim, be patient with me. I'm still fighting with the base. Now I glued the paper machè on the wooden base but it doesn't want to stay flat ....
Hey, Nando, not to worry, I didn't mean to come across as impatient; I understand what you are going through with the base and am patiently looking forward to your further updates as developments permit.

We're all pulling for you!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense