PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
R7/Vostok in 1/144 scale designed by Lars Folmann

Hey, gang!

I've been pretty busy lately at work so I've been pretty much out of touch with my paper modeling family, for which I sincerely apologize. I've tried to spend a few free moments where possible to work on something I've been planning on building for a while. It's the R7/Vostok model brilliantly designed by Lars Folmann and available as a free download from his webpage:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/ClassicPaperSpaceModels/

I wanted to reduce it to a scale I prefer for space models, 1/144 scale, but as I did some background research on this launcher I found an interesting controversy regarding the actual color scheme. I happened upon a webpage where modelers discussed how the old photos showed the launcher to be a dark, almost olive, color...but it was apparently the result of the film used in that day, lighting considerations, the conclusion being she was actually grey rather than green! I thought that pretty interesting, and even found some photographs showing the actual grey color. Being me, I decided to try to recolor the model to match what I felt was the actual colors based on those webpages...and here is how it came out.

I personally find this launcher to be a very interesting and historically significant subject, and Lars has graciously provided us with a superbly designed model, one that I don't hesitate to recommend to anyone interested in this genre of space craft.

It might be a cool project to adapt this launcher and add a scaled down version of the highly detailed Vostok designed by Leo, so you could end up with a break away payload area in which the little Vostok gem created by Leo could be found a top Lars great R7...ah, but that's something to consider for another day....

Any criticism, corrections and comments are, as always, welcome!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very cool, Jim! I really like seeing the real space stuff, but for some reason I have never considered building one.... Still, like the coloring and great looking build! Thanks!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Very Sweet Jim! As usual. I find it refreshing to see someone
who models a little of everything. Shows a great skill set!

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice clean build!

My only criticism would be the use of imageshack and their stupid popups (argggh!) - but that's a different discussion
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
Hello Jim! Absolute great one! I decided for myself (and the place to store the ready models) to build ships, but I love the "real" spaceships!

@Dan: I am not getting tired to recommend firefox with the Adblock Plus for all actions in the internet. I can rather promise you that you will not see any pop-ups (only a small sign at the end of the taskbar, that again something was blocked - and this sign will only appear, when you wish to see it).
Frank
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Beautiful work Jim. I bet it made Texman smile...hehehe
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelle View Post
Hello Jim! Absolute great one! I decided for myself (and the place to store the ready models) to build ships, but I love the "real" spaceships!

@Dan: I am not getting tired to recommend firefox with the Adblock Plus for all actions in the internet. I can rather promise you that you will not see any pop-ups (only a small sign at the end of the taskbar, that again something was blocked - and this sign will only appear, when you wish to see it).
Frank
Unfortunately I'm stuck here at work with old IE. I have been messing around with Firefox at home - although with newer IE and better Norton on my home computer it isn't as much of an issue. Thanks for the recommendation though
Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Eternal Member

Wotcher Jim (guess what Windows flags this as a spelling mistake)

Nearly missed another little wonder just beautiful can I borrow your hands for an hour or so. Just jealous of your standards old mate.

regards

bazzer
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wow, thanks so much, gang! I really appreciate the very generous words of encouragment, I truly do.

Sorry about the pop-ups, Dan; that's one reason I don't like using the thumbnail photos because the link you get gives you ads...I try to post a photo link where possible, but I'm still trying to figure out the correct sizing as those links tend to produce a photo a bit too big, for my taste...for example, check out the photos that pop up in my SS United States Micromodel post:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477

Some day I'll figure this stuff out!

Thanks, bazzer, but you are much too kind, me ol' mate. Funny you should mention standards since I always look to you, Texman and many others for inspiration in cutting, gluing and building my models. (It's also funny that it's a spell check flag but that just goes to prove Windows doesn't know everything!)

Thanks again for stopping by, Mates!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 74.80 MB
All missiles P7 were gray. White often appear after filling with liquid oxygen. It's snowing.
Google Adsense