PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nando,

I will check out the article.

Your build of the Apollo astronaut is what caught my attention, and is what inspired me to do this one!

Thanks

Ken
Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Thank You Ken, I'm very happy when my work is inspiring, mainly if thereafter You make another masterpiece.

A question: do you plan to do the wrinkling on the lunar overshoes?

It's one of the few enhancements that I did on my model, and I saw only the marks on Your boots .

Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 12-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Nando,

The boots are probably finished at this point. To wrinkle them up, would render the model unbuildable for most people. However, if someone wanted to overlay a thin-wrinkled paper over the top, that would look really good.

Meanwhile, here are the lower shins. I am not sure they are finished, but both feet are shown in their relative final position - to give you an idea of how the right foot is slightly forward of the left foot, and the shins are different.

Next: The knees...

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-004.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-005.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-006.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-007.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-008.jpg  

Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-a7-009.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Fascinating concept and great work so far! You just don't quit....

I'm thinking perhaps some of that lightweight paper used to wrap things for packages might be good to replicate wrinkled fabric. Then again, careful use of unembossed toilet paper moistened with a 50-50 mixture of white glue and water might also do the trick. Having built several models lately using toilet paper, I've become a big fan of it....
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Stunning work Ken. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Until I looked at these boots it never occurred to me how difficult it must have been for two men to get into this equipment in the close confines of the LM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Nando,

The boots are probably finished at this point. To wrinkle them up, would render the model unbuildable for most people. However, if someone wanted to overlay a thin-wrinkled paper over the top, that would look really good.

Meanwhile, here are the lower shins. I am not sure they are finished, but both feet are shown in their relative final position - to give you an idea of how the right foot is slightly forward of the left foot, and the shins are different.

Next: The knees...

Ken
Ken, i agree with You that at this scale to wrinkle the "skin" of the model is very difficult, but I wasn't referring to that.
I'm not sure to be capable to explain with my poor english, but I'm referring to the blu front part of the overshoe, this that i'm indicating with the label "lunar overshoe wrinkling".

The red arrow indicates the wrinkling, to which i refer, in this photo below of the real one.

Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-schmitt_overshoe_nasm2009rk_2_arrow.jpg

Looking at this photo I cannot but admire Your work in reproducing this difficult subject.

My compliment, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 12-25-2010, 05:44 AM

Nando, the Language Barrier has jumped up and bitten once again I see...

The term you were looking for, is "ribbed" not "wrinkled".

I know how difficult English can be, having written a book, two Masters theses, and several Journal articles. Trust me, a photo really is worth 1000 words. Until you posted this image, I had no idea what was going on.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to make some very tiny strips to put over the toekicks of the boots to make them look more ribbed.

I am trememdously impressed with your build. I wish I'd seen the original thread as it was unfolding. (pun intended).

Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Banned

I think "wrinkled" applies. One would iron a wrinkly shirt but not a ribbed one. Then again, you Rebel Southerners speak a different dialect of English than us Yankee New England folk. You might have ribbed joints but not wrinkly ones.

In any event, the model is really awesome. In any language.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Oh! I see what you mean now. I went back to your thread and I couldn't see where you added wrinkles - I didn't think to check the ribs on the toe of the boot.

Actually, that's a great idea! I will add them on - very easy to do - it will give the boots more depth/definition!

Thanks Nando!
Old 12-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I think "wrinkled" applies. One would iron a wrinkly shirt but not a ribbed one. Then again, you Rebel Southerners speak a different dialect of English than us Yankee New England folk. You might have ribbed joints but not wrinkly ones.

In any event, the model is really awesome. In any language.
Well, heck Zathros... Most of you Yankees don't know how to speak properly! It took you this long to figure that out?

Ribbed is the proper term. After looking at the pic that Nando posted, I dropped an email to a colleague of mine who works in the display/storage area at Huntsville, and she did confirm that the correct term used by NASA and ILC-Dover was "ribbed". Condoms, joints, and now toekicks. Who would have thunk it? hehehehehe
Google Adsense