PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Progress Report:

I'll show the progress on the suit through Pepakura since it will be awhile before I have the actual paper parts done.

The upper torso is difficult, and the shapes are not quite there yet, but, the basics are forming up nicely. Most of the torso will be covered by hoses, controls, and other junk, so the exact details on the torso are not that important, but the over all shape is.

The left arm will be holding the flag.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-picture1.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-picture2.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-picture3.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM

I just finished the test run (build-ability) of the torso. The fit was surprisingly perfect, but the instructions will need to be made very clear. It even mated up to the leg assembly perfectly with no gap.

Before you ask; yes there are 6 (six) umbilicals. I don't know what happened, but the upper 2 umbilicals are in the design. The 2 circles at the top near the helmet ring are the mission patch and NASA logo. Also note the placeholder for the shoulder flag.

I think I remember seeing a female marble statue with the arms missing - the astronaut reminds me of this.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-ken-1-.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-ken-2-.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-ken-3-.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-ken-4-.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-ken-5-.jpg  

Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-prof-001.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-prof-002.jpg   Apollo Astronaut on the Moon-prof-003.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM

I am thinking that this model, when finished, will have 2 separate astronauts with unique poses. One will be Neil Armstrong, and the other will be Buzz Aldrin. Obviously, this is going to be an Apollo 11 moon display; with one astronaut holding the flag while the other salutes.

Question: which astronaut saluted in that famous photo? I want to make sure I get the name tags right....

Ken
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
http://www.evworld.com/images/apollo11_salute.jpg This photo? That's Aldrin. Armstrong pretty much took all of the pictures as he was the one with the camera.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceguy5 View Post
http://www.evworld.com/images/apollo11_salute.jpg This photo? That's Aldrin. Armstrong pretty much took all of the pictures as he was the one with the camera.

(that's not Buzz, and it's not Apollo 11. Apollo 11 didn't have the red 'command stripes', and judging from the mountainous terrain and off-kilter Lander I would guess that's Apollo 15)

There is an awesome website: www.apolloarchive.com/ (Project Apollo Image Gallery) that has TONS of hi res pictures from all the Apollo missions. I have literally spent hours just browsing through the pictures; this picture appears to be AS15-88-11863, of Commander David Scott taken by Lunar Pilot James Irwin of the all-Air Force crew Apollo 15 (Go Air Force!).

Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Mechanic; 12-30-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: More info
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
(that's not Buzz, and it's not Apollo 11. Apollo 11 didn't have the red 'command stripes', and judging from the mountainous terrain and off-kilter Lander I would guess that's Apollo 15)

There is an awesome website: www.apolloarchive.com/ (Project Apollo Image Gallery) that has TONS of hi res pictures from all the Apollo missions. I have literally spent hours just browsing through the pictures; this picture appears to be AS15-88-11863, of Commander David Scott taken by Lunar Pilot James Irwin of the all-Air Force crew Apollo 15 (Go Air Force!).
*Shrug* The caption on that website at least said it was Apollo 11 q< Like I said though, on almost all the Apollo 11 picture that aren't taken from the LM, it's Armstrong taking the photographs, so it should be buzz in almost all of the pictures.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Neil appears in exactly two photographs that were taken on July 20. One, a very grainy image of him working near the LM, and the other in the reflection of Aldrin's visor. He had the camera (as Spaceguy said) and he's the one that took all the pictures. Mechanic is also correct that 11 didn't have the red Commander's stripes. These didn't appear on the lunar excursion suits until 13. They realized after 12 landed, but before their TV camera went out (because Bean pointed it at the sun accidentally) that they might need to know which astronaut was which, at a glance.

Don't you guys just love NASA trivia?

Ken, I've said this about a hundred times, and it keeps getting more and more true as the projects you do get built, but you've got to be the absolute best designer on the forum. I can't begin to express the envy and admiration I have for your skill and talent. Bravo, Maestro!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Beautiful build! Absolutely beautiful. I actually am amazed what can be achieved in paper as far as human body shapes go. This is coming together very convincingly.
The end result with two astronauts will be a biggie!

I guess there's one more picture of Neil while on the moon, although it is not a useful one for this build. After the walk, when they both were inside the LM again, to fill a reel of film, they both made a picture of eachother's faces. You can really see in their eyes they know they just did something very special.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys for your kind comments and encouragement. Reading this at 8:30 am on New Years Eve, makes me want to dig right in and keep goin'.

I appreciate the info on "who was who" on Apollo 11.

As a side note: Being one of the most historic achievements ever, you would have thought that there would have been more still photos. But this wasn't a typical family picnic. I remember reading (or seeing) where there was a real concern - to get out there, deploy the equipment, collect a few rocks, and get back inside.

Yes, the look on Neil's face when he got back inside - says it all!

Ken
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Yes, the look on Neil's face when he got back inside - says it all!
Ken
For those who don't know: This one!
(and Buzz was pictured by Neil!)

Happy New Year!
Google Adsense