PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quo vadis, XSL-01?

A current thread on the Revell XSL-01 on the Space Modelers Yahoo group jogged my memory. Once upon a time, wasn't an intrepid designer working on a full-stack XSL-01 card model? I know there's a 1/96 Revell Moonship by "Wolfgang Perez" at Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center. Is that the guy?

That's one "concept" model I'd LOVE to have, since it's probably the only Revell space kit Yers Truly didn't actually get as a kid (despite impassioned pleas to my father in a Fort Lauderdale, FL drug store). Major trauma. Probably explains much about my personality today....

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
The Revel kit from 1957 is extremely rare and also very very expencive if one found. The model and toy antiquarians sell it's the empty box around 50$ and thats a collectible too!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
The Revel kit from 1957 is extremely rare and also very very expencive if one found. The model and toy antiquarians sell it's the empty box around 50$ and thats a collectible too!
Exactly why we need a card model!

I'm not a designer; heck, I'm barely a competent builder! Sven "Ninfinger" Knudson has a .pdf of the original XSL-01 instructions on his site if any designer wants to give it a shot. http://www.ninfinger.org/models/kitp...vellh1800.html

Sven also has a .pdf of the XSL-01 "Operations Manual" on the same page.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-04-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Replace direct file link with link to author's page.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That doesn't seem very difficult at all. Just some tubes and cones. There aren't any compound curves. Maybe someone will do it. It's something that you would need a good line drawing, even just from the top and side, to get a grip on.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Here's a tribute page of the designer Ellwyn A. Angle - he passed away at the age of 82 year 2003.
There's a book about space related modelling by Matt Irvine: Creating Space, The story of the Space Age Told Through Models it might be available and have some information.

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.94 MB
There is already a card model of the Moon Ship here http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2010/index.html - drive down to the XSL-01 folder.

That puts you halfway there.

Mod note: you should always link to an author's web page to access their files, not directly to the file. Direct linking bypasses the author's pages - and could lead you to an executable you don't want ...
Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-04-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Direct link to files removed - link is to author's page
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averjoe View Post
There is already a card model of the Moon Ship here [see above for link]

That puts you halfway there.
...and that is what happens when you read while tired. I see now that you already know it exists. D'oh!
I'll leave the link up for others though.

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.