PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Skylab

After successful completion of the Apollo 11 project, I will now go someday to the Skylab operations ...
For this I will use the downloads from here:
Surfduke' Page (The Link don't work...?)

There are two problems:
1. 1:32 is really too large, the part would be the extent of my reach Saturn V 1:96 Scale .... So at 1:48, which seems feasible (about 70 cm), with interior design, but

2nd. Although it is a great PDF with parts but no instructions .... not in the various forums. So, I only once a testbuild of the Giant mine made jleslie ...

Index of /jj_skylab

This is 1:144, which I have scaled to 1:96 scale (to A3 and 110%)
This is the result ....
in the sheet are good drawings, so I think, to get along well with the big model someday
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-100_0678.jpg   Skylab-100_0680.jpg   Skylab-100_0681.jpg   Skylab-100_0682.jpg   Skylab-100_0684.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Michael. It is well known that Carl Hewlett (Surfduke) hasn't got a lot of instructions on his site for his awesome models. That really is a pity. But he is one of our members and he is quite well reachable. If you contact him with a PM he might help you out.
Good luck, because if it turns out as good as yout LUT we'll be in for a great build to follow!

PS. Your build of Yogi's 1/144 skylab is good, but for a more accurate rendition, either you should have left one of the solar panel wings off, or you should not have used the 'umbrella' part. Now it looks historically incorrect.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post

PS. Your build of Yogi's 1/144 skylab is good, but for a more accurate rendition, either you should have left one of the solar panel wings off, or you should not have used the 'umbrella' part. Now it looks historically incorrect.
Yes, that's right!
The skylab has lost the left panel after start and the umbrella comes later ....I will remove him, because it looks anyway like a chinese dragon with him...

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
Cool build Michael. I did Skylab from the Yogi too but I went the other way with it 1/288. Now I know the Skylab and the Shuttles were suppose to be able to dock to each other but I haven't been able to find anything that shows how.. Any ideas?

Stefan Wulph
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM

hi Stefan,

Perhaps you were looking for this:

(source)
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Aww shucks... This last picture opened up a new well of research and information! Now I am so tempted to make a second OWS. How would Skylab have looked when Columbia would have been in time to rescue the limp space station? I found a couple of pictures in a NASA document made by Martin Marietta in 1978 of how the station might get a new life with added modules and supplies - and the shuttle of course. Hmmmmmm.......
*starts sketching*
...But first my ISS diorama!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Now I'd like to start with the building report to great Skylab station.

However, reduced to 1:48, 1:32 because I somewhat large ....( expression appears to DIN A5)
Total, there are 72 sheets in 160 g carton.
I asked a lot of research on the Net, as there are no instructions, mainly pictures.
Since there were already the first problems ...
Which could not be more different, especially in the detail, in color, but also in the type, suggesting in fact, on at google-to-find photographs and drawings that much of either invention, retouching, or even fantasy.
In addition, the date on which probably prevail.

The model also provides an interior design.
This I do without, although I really wanted to build:
They represented only makes sense if you see them too. That would mean either a transparency of the shell or a composite plug-in model. Both came to me out of the question, as it turns out very spartan and a frequent swapping (as I have experienced in my Saturn V have) not to improve results.
For this I used extra frames.

I started with the actual laboratory / living area.
The shell consists of 6 parts.
Although these are numbered nice, but ... I'm obviously stuck in the clockwise direction ...
that was wrong. So newly printed, now it's true.
Up and down the "laminar skin" over laminated frames glued (in the right place, I hope). It remains to be seen if the "hemispheres" are glued above and below.

Now comes the rear end.
The bonding of the hemisphere (representing the lower part of the tank) already makes demands.
The walk is easy, because even a sketch of the arch is already Here, at however differences in the photos on the net. Sometimes the foot is a cylinder, where most (Helium?) Can be seen balls (also indicated in the 1:144 model!), Sometimes as in this model, a conical cover over it.
Does anyone know how it looked in the flight phase?
So that is enough for the beginning ......
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-100_0687.jpg   Skylab-100_0688.jpg   Skylab-100_0689.jpg   Skylab-100_0690.jpg   Skylab-100_0691.jpg  

Skylab-100_0692.jpg   Skylab-100_0693.jpg   Skylab-100_0694.jpg   Skylab-100_0695.jpg   Skylab-100_0696.jpg  

Skylab-100_0697.jpg   Skylab-100_0698.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Michael, this is a photo made by the Skylab-2 mission of Pete Conrad's crew. They checked the damage done during launch and this is the aft view of the station. However there are a lot of photo's of the OWS in the VAB with the balls uncovered, in flight the hemispheres were covered.

You're off to a good start!
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-apollo-skylab-sl2-flyaraound-damagecheck.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Great project - with any luck we'll shortly have a definitive set of instructions for Surfduke's Skylab right in this thread.
Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-16-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Great project - with any luck we'll shortly have a definitive set of instructions for Surfduke's Skylad right in this thread.
Yogi
I second Yogi's comment! I've wanted to build this for many moons (probably in 1/72, not 1/32). If you manage to finish this project, Michael, you'll be a Hero Pilot (Paper?) Kosmonaut!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Google Adsense