PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Pathfinder Shuttle Simulator

I tried to do one of these in about 2007 to match Alfonso's shuttles, 1/144 scale. It was a one-off scratchbuild, not meant for public sharing really. (I believe it is included in a photo of mine that is on the AXM site, actually.)

I figured that I had improved enough since then to try a new version. I'm still working on the details, and there are a few little issues to work on, but this is the basic idea.

Noticeably absent are the nose cone and OMS pods. On the prototype, I simply printed an AXM shuttle's nose cone and inverted it, blank side out, and left off the cabin window section and RCC nose, replacing it with a blank circle. This matched reality rather well.

I haven't been able to get the shape figured out yet to make my own part -- if it was a simple cone, I could do it, but it's obviously a little more complex, just so that I can't get anything drawn that I'm pleased with.
The OMS pods are in some photos of Pathfinder and absent in others, suggesting that the part was removable. Another part I can't seem to get right by myself, and that is currently absent.

Note that markings varied. My wings are based on the version hanging in the VAB in the shot above. Below, you can see some of those same markings on the fuselage and tail, which I included.

If I can ever figure out the nose, it would be essentially complete. I'm also working on an insert for the rear end to better accent the truss structure in the engine area. Right now, you can see right through the model because of the light diffusing through the cardstock, which I'd like to block.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.13 GB
I like it---Nice Job!!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pretty cool, escpecially for scratch build. I've never seen these photos before, is this some shuttle mock up or maybe a experimental pilotless shuttle?

Ah...ok read the tittle duh, a simulator shuttle
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Pathfinder's come a long way-
http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2010/dece...10-512x288.jpg
Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
J - you can do the nose as a connected series of trapezoids. Base of each equals the width of the respective fuselage flats. Top and bottom parts are symmetric. Lower side has one side matching the bottom piece, eyeball the other based on a side view picture. Probably need to make a few cut-and-fit parts to get the final dimensions. When assembling score folds only on the wide end and roll the small end of the combined piece, letting the paper make the transition from angular to conic. Trim the wide end as needed to allow the part to assume the proper angle.

Or, just make a squashed cone. Measure the perimeter of the front of the fuselage, divide by pi to get a "diameter" for the cone. Figure out the conic part dimensions, then offset the "hole" in the flat part so you get a cone that varies in height as you go around. Top (longest) and bottom measurements of the pathfinder nose should get you the offset you need. When assembling, just crease the cone where it meets the fuselage corners and roll the rest.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys. This isn't a model that most people would think to include in a collection, but when I saw Alfonso was making the Pegasus barge in the future (and his excellent present-day Pathfinder already available on the site), I figured it's an important part of shuttle history and deserved a model. (Hey, it has the honorary designation OV-098 from NASA!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
J - you can do the nose as a connected series of trapezoids. Base of each equals the width of the respective fuselage flats. Top and bottom parts are symmetric. Lower side has one side matching the bottom piece, eyeball the other based on a side view picture. Probably need to make a few cut-and-fit parts to get the final dimensions. When assembling score folds only on the wide end and roll the small end of the combined piece, letting the paper make the transition from angular to conic. Trim the wide end as needed to allow the part to assume the proper angle.
That makes sense. I didn't think about it that way. Hopefully a little fiddling will result in something halfway usable. I'd like to make it available as a download when I'm done if anyone is interested. I'll post a side-by-side comparison with a 1/144 AXM shuttle and you'll see that it does fit the scale correctly. It might make an interesting, little-known addition to a collection somewhere.
I've also been thinking about MPTA-098 for later. I've already drawn some of the trusswork but I need more pictures. And wouldn't it also be cool to have a STA-099 version of Challenger?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.13 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparenti View Post
...I'd like to make it available as a download when I'm done if anyone is interested....
That would be great! I would be very interested --it would help make a collection more complete
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 AM

I've been working on the nose section, as well as revising the size/placement of the graphics a little. Now that I know there's some interest, I will make sure it is posted when I'm done. Hopefully it won't take too much longer.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi jparenti,

I've been following your thread and I really like it. You've done a heck of a job! The Pathfinder looks great.
This one will complete the Shuttle collection, for sure.
I'm looking forward to see the model very soon for download.
If you allow me, I will put a link to your model on my Pathfinder page.

Alfonso
Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Does this cone look close to what you need? If you have any drawings, it is not hard to bang out in Rhino. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Pathfinder Shuttle Simulator-nosecone.jpg  
Google Adsense