PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I've been watching your progress on my Yahoo group too, great stuff! Right now I'm working on a 1-48 scale-up of Fortezza's shuttle (I use the term working on very loosely... I got everything but the doors done, then became too busy with college work to finish). Not as detailed or accurate in scaling as yours appears to be, but still very nice. As for dimensions, I wonder if you could ask Alfonso from AXM Paper Models? I know he plans on working on a 1-48 Shuttle too (I believe he said he has only a prototype of the payload bay so far). Also he has a series of 1-144 shuttle models, and has researched lots of information about the shuttle.

Also another thing that could be of help would be using 3D models for reference. For instance, the game SpaceShuttleMission2007 has some pretty detailed models, also there was one add-on for Orbiter Space Flight Simulator that was extremely detailed, on the interior and exterior.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi guys,
Just to clarify, I am not doing a 1:48 scale of the orbiter. I will make a 1:100 orbiter, an improved version of my original 1:144 model. It will take me too long to do such a big model at 1:48.
Thorsten, your model looks great and I can tell that maybe we are looking at the ultimate detailed Shuttle paper model.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm61 View Post
Hi guys,
Just to clarify, I am not doing a 1:48 scale of the orbiter. I will make a 1:100 orbiter, an improved version of my original 1:144 model. It will take me too long to do such a big model at 1:48.
Thorsten, your model looks great and I can tell that maybe we are looking at the ultimate detailed Shuttle paper model.
Oh yeah q= *Remembers now* I was just planning on turning it into a 1:48 orbiter <________<
Old 03-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
cant be sure of the dimensions, but based on a high resolution measuring, i figure the width of the rear to be approx 240 units, and the height of the centerline to top of the rear to be approx 119 units. Im not sure what the unit of measure is on the drawing, but I hope this helps a little. Looks great, cant wait to see (and build) the finished product...

Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
First- thank you for your afford!
Were you using one of the drawings in the screengrabs beneath?
I'd like to warn everybody who's building a shuttle model about using these drawings for detail measurements. I didn't believe my eyes when I loaded them into the drawing software and overlayed them-they differ in many details. Every color you see in the first three pictures are from different drawings- some points differ in some inches, in 1/48 this makes differences in the mm region... I'd like to do it better
For the aft fuselage, I found the following informaion so far:
body flap width 2x127,88''=255,76'', and total width 22'=264''. This matches very good to photographs. The same source states 20' for hight, but this seems to be the hight for the forward end (as total hight is clearly more). Don't find something clearer and nothing about the upper width...

Also attached is a screenshot of my progress on the forward fuselage, it gives some insight in how I'm working on my models (think everybody's doing this on his own way- here you see mine )

Thorsten
Attached Thumbnails
1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_mismatchesa.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_mismatchesb.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_mismatchesc.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_workspacea.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey thorst

I just thought of something...are you planning on making the the tank and SRB'S for this also?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
Hey thorst

I just thought of something...are you planning on making the the tank and SRB'S for this also?
Thought about that. Probably not, don't have the space for it. But never say never...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Where there's a will there's a way. Sounds like it's time to start moving some of the wifes nick nacks and brikabrack else where
(thats if you're married ) mine's already giving me static about where I'm going to display my 1/4 merc capsule. I showed her the onther day where I was going to hang it from the ceiling in our living room..at which time I got a simple..(ggrrrreeaatt)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
I measured off the picture you provided with the red lines. Like I said, only an approximation, but maybe helpful enough to get you close to accurate. Sorry I can be of much more help...

I may however try designing the rest of the stack in 3d If I get a chance... No promises, I have a bad habit of starting projects and not finishing them, but I do want to build this shuttle when its done, and it would look much better mounted on the full stack...

then of course, youd need to make the Crawler LUT in 1:48 as well lol, and really take up some room in the house :D

Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Do what I'm doing: 1:48 ISS, and Shuttle <_<
Google Adsense