PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Stardust - Remodeled

Long on my list of must haves, and joining my fleet of small body explorers (Hayabusa and Dawn), is Stardust. I snatched up a recolor of the original JPL design and built that over the winter, but I was disappointed in the lack of certain details.

I'm working now on correcting these discrepancies and will hopefully provide a very accurate and detailed example soon.

An issue I have come across in my design is a lack of details and references in the louver vent systems on the spacecraft. You'll note in the two line-drawings attached that there are two louver assemblies on the bus. This is part of the spacecraft's thermal control system and they open or close to the expose the craft's internal systems to space and thereby regulate the internal temperature.

Now the question, open or closed? I'm guessing they wouldn't be open much, so I'm thinking that I'll have an internal black-colored "box" that the vent would cover. And if the modeler chose, they could cut the slits and provide a slight bend to demonstrate the operation. But, how realistic is this? Do deep-space craft run with their vents open?

This is not a very "heroic" or "romantic" operation, so I get why there isn't much publicized. Have any of you run across an explanation or research? I wrote the specific question to JPL, Smithsonian, and others. But I haven't gotten a response.
Attached Thumbnails
Stardust - Remodeled-450px-stardust_-_spacecraft_diagram.png   Stardust - Remodeled-031230drawing2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Hmm, while I'd still like to know how they work, for the purposes of this build I think the question is moot. I prototyped my design ideas last night and I think that, even at the fairly large 1:25th scale, slicing the 1.1 mm wide louvers is not aesthetically pleasing.

Now, what may be even more accurate would be to W fold the piece. Yes, it can be done. It can probably be done better by someone other than I. So I'll at least provide it as a separate part (need to anyhow for the depth of scale), and let the experts with magnified patience go wild.

Note in the cropped image of the bus in the vehicle assembly room that the vent is covered by a clear Plexiglas box. It somewhat distorts the image, hopefully I'm able to represent it in 2D well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Stardust - Remodeled-1280px-stardust_spacecraft_99pc39.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-untitled.png  
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 509.67 MB
Hello,

As far as I know, these louvers cover radiators, meaning that internal systems are not directly exposed to space. Simply put, they are the lid of a box, and the rest of the surface, inside, is covered by a reflective material (i.e. not black).

Here is a picture of one such element installed on Rosetta, with the blades open : Space in Images - 2015 - 08 - Rosetta thermal louvres

The commentary coming with the image, below it, explains how the blades open and close. The spring coils are located in the 'shaft' separating both parts/halves of the radiator box, explaining why these louver sets always appear to come by pairs and side by side.

By the way, I am glad to see that someone tries (again) to redesign that model, I wish you good luck.

Last edited by NoahMarjeev; 02-16-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Nice resource and a good description Noah, thanks for that. I hadn't thought of a radiator being back there, but then again I'd seen a reference that the louvres were "part of the active and passive thermal management system." Now I see how.

Major work on the bus is complete. I'm on to the return capsule. The solar arrays are rendered, but I'm wondering about incorporating some "structure" to keep them from sagging.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:06 PM

Prototyping is going well. I'm on number three and I think I addressed the sagging panel issue by designing the top of the craft so that it can be cut from a single piece of card like a cereal box. If so desired. Still fine tuning the instruments, but it's coming along.
Attached Thumbnails
Stardust - Remodeled-img_3463.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3462.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3440.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3441.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Stardust was an interesting mission. NASA had a fair amount of detail on their website years ago. The solar panels did sag a lot. The one piece from cardboard looks like a good idea. Could probably stiffen it more if the cardboard was saturated with CA before adding the surface details.

I built the download paper model many years ago. My first paper model if I recall right. My model hit the round bucket a long time ago.

Looking forward to seeing your end result.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 PM

One step forward... two back
I need to redesign how a couple of these instruments are assembled. Some glue tabs are needed and some aren't. I'm adding some instructions, but not a detailed build through. I hope it'll be enough. Maybe some reference drawings will be helpful.

The Sample Return Capsule is first up. I've yet to build the grid, but it's designed. Lots of pics here, I'm proud of the mounting assembly. Unfortunately, I can't design it to be removable and sealable. At least not at my current skill level.

Next up are the medium and high gain antenna. The prototype HG receiver is too long and will be shortened a smidgen on the final design. On a hero build, the struts can probably be folded over to make them thinner and more substantial.

The Star Tracker is a compromise of scale. I just couldn't model the fine contours. The telescopes should probably be more acute, but I'll survive.

Lastly are two instruments that are mounted on the lower sides of the bus on the capsule side. My references always show me extended and one stowed. Bonus points to anyone who knows what they're about. I've no idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Stardust - Remodeled-img_3444.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3445.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3474.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3475.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3478.jpg  

Stardust - Remodeled-img_3480.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3446.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3468.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3470.jpg   Stardust - Remodeled-img_3466.jpg  

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Another question of preference while I'm at it.

Which method of attachment orientation do you prefer? Fine-outline or block. The advantage to the outline is that if your assembly doesn't fit exactly, it will be a little easier to hide. But, its harder to see where things might be attached - at least less intuitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Stardust - Remodeled-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I prefer thin outline, for the exact reason you gave.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
I choose the outline as well, Your model is looking very good.
Google Adsense