PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction

Hello,
this is my first thread here.
I'm designing and building a Space Shuttle in 1/48, the SSMEs and mid fuselage structures are finished, and I had the aft fuselage, too, but discovered that the plans I used as reference are out of scale now.
In the moment I have to redo this section and the nose section is in good progress, too, the cockpit is almost finished (represents configuration of STS-34 as good as I could figure out the details). See pictures below.

My references are the plans from Scott Lowther's site, Dennis Jenkin's book about the first 100 flights, plans and photos from NASA-sites as well as from other sites on the web.

To get my model more accurate, I could need some more scale data, I include a drawing with two red lines. If someone gave me data for these two measurements, I could finish the aft fuselage really quickly.
For the nose section: If someone has reliable data for some of the corners at the windows, or orthogonal views of this area, this would help me really a lot.

Cheers, Thorsten
Attached Thumbnails
1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-ssme48_12.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-ssme48_15.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-ssme48_16.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_48_midfuselage_13.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_48_midfuselage_15.jpg  

1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-orbiter_dims.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-sts_48_midfuselage_16.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-foto0140.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-foto0138.jpg   1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-foto0135.jpg  

1/48 Space Shuttle orbiter under construction-foto0136.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Wow, that is stunning!

I look forward to following your progress.

Mike
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Ah, it is good to see you here. I found your model on the Yahoo group recently and have completed one engine and the mid fuselage already. I was hoping that you would share progress here.
This looks to be an exceptional model coming together. If I find any references to the areas you asked about, I will share it with you.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very Very nice, I'll be watching this with great intrest. I have a 1/48 Sat V built, A 1/48 shuttle would be a great addition to the display.

I guess your designing this yourself? i've been looking for a really good, detailed 1/48 shuttle, this is the best one I've seen so far.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks all for the comments!

Yes, I'm designing this myself, don't think there's another one in this scale yet. BTW, textures and markings will be on a second layer of paper, so don't wonder that the fuselage is totally white. I hope to cover the seams effectively this way.

Thorsten
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
Thanks all for the comments!

Yes, I'm designing this myself, don't think there's another one in this scale yet. BTW, textures and markings will be on a second layer of paper, so don't wonder that the fuselage is totally white. I hope to cover the seams effectively this way.

Thorsten
There is another 1/48 build but it's not as detailed, and doesn't have the structual frame work.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Absolutely stunning! All the detail! Amazing! I wish you would have put an Exacto knife in the shots for reference, But I get the idea. It's huge! Wow.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB
Hi Thorst.

A joy to look at the pictures.
Good work, good plan! Like internal ribs.
1 / 48 ratio is good, maybe a lot of detail.
Followed with great interest.

Greeting
merzo

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Thorst, so good to see you on this forum!! I'v been following your build on that other site, but this one is so much easer to post and share, and the people here are the best in the paper modeling world. I have a Saturn V-Apollo,Mercury-Redstone, Gemini-Titan,Sace Ship One-Whiteknight all in 1/48, and have been looking foward to adding a Shuttle to my fleet ever since i found you were working on one. Looking forward to your fine modeling skills to help me fill the hole in my US space fleet!...Rich
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Thorst, so good to see you on this forum!! I'v been following your build on that other site, but this one is so much easer to post and share, and the people here are the best in the paper modeling world. I have a Saturn V-Apollo,Mercury-Redstone, Gemini-Titan,Sace Ship One-Whiteknight all in 1/48, and have been looking foward to adding a Shuttle to my fleet ever since i found you were working on one. Looking forward to your fine modeling skills to help me fill the hole in my US space fleet!...Rich
Well, it has advantages and disadvantages... I didn't want to miss both!
And nice collection!

Will post progress soon. And like I said above, information about the measuremants is very welcome

Thorsten
Google Adsense