PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
1/8 PLYWOOD?....the LEM? whoa, whats the scale? And launchable, THAT I would like to see, the flight trajectory would be interesting. What about safe return, does it seperate, have a chute?
As mentioned, the LEM is 1:12 scale so it's about 32 inches from pad to pad diagonally. There is a set of clear plastic fins (rather large ones) that attaches to the motor mount. A parachute is deployed from the top docking hatch to return it to the ground. Due to it's shape it's very hard to calculate performance and required power or deployment delay. I've decided it looks too good to fly anyway...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
For flying characteristics I'd have chosen for some kind of double rotor on the top to make it land like the real thing.
I guess you still could kick it up high in the sky with a rocket, then start the rotors and smoothly guide the lander down...The eaglet has landed!

Nice rockets you got there! Are even the conduits between the S-II and the interstage ring made of paper? They look very nicely shaped.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM

The conduits on that particular model are vacu-formed plastic parts. Understand that these models were build for my Space Modeling column in LAUNCH Magazine before the economy killed the publication. I normally had very little time between receiving the assignment to delivering the article. In the case of the Saturn V I had 4 weeks to build the Saturn V, build the LUT to go with it, do all the photography for the build and the final models and write the article. Needless to say, shortcuts were taken wherever I could. I tend to take a lot more time when I'm building something that's just for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM

As posted in my other build thread - I've been tied up developing an iPad app (and recovering from the loss of a gall-bladder) so I haven't been around here too much. I'm also working to bring LAUNCH Magazine back as an online publication so time is tight. I will get back to this build though.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Good to hear from you sir!
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Back again! I've decided to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one with the same information. Lots of changes since my last post - health issues are pretty much behind me now and I've retired so I now have more time for modeling. This project is currently in the design and construction phase now.

I've changed building materials in many areas but I'm still using a lot of paper modeling techniques. The tower structure is now constructed from sheets of .040 polystyrene to insure that it is sturdy enough to act as a long term display stand for my Saturn V model. I've also added a lot more detail on the parts this time around.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-spacer-001.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-subfloor-002.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-subfloor-003.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-girder-004.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-floor-005.jpg  

Old 05-24-2014, 03:57 PM

The floor deck plate was is an especially challenging piece. There are about 27,000 holes cut in that sheet of 110 lb card stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-deckplate-006.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-deckplate-008.jpg   Upgrading the Edu-craft 1:70 LUT-stair-007.jpg  

Last edited by mperdue; 05-24-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi Mario,

nice to meet you here again, I've seen your photos in the yahoo's LUT group, very impressive.

What tool have you used for cutting the 0.040 polystyrene sheets, a laser cutter?

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:33 AM

I have a Full Spectrum Laser 40 watt 5th Gen hobby laser. It does a pretty good job on many materials like paper, wood, plastic and leather. It won't cut metal or fiberglass but it can etch glass. Depending on power and speed settings you can cut or etch the previously listed materials.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Wow, this is a powerful device, but also with a proud price for a hobby tool.

How clean are the cutting edges, do you need reprocess?

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Google Adsense