PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Oh boy oh boy, a little light switch in a wheel well.... I wish I could do these things in 1/400...
I guess the electronics required would fall into my pores.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 267.07 MB
We are in a good expectative to see you work fineshed, Spaceguy5. Go ahead!!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
Well, I got the payload bay finished/installed, most of the payload finished (Just lacking Canadarm), and the forward fuselage textured (what a nightmare that was)/partially built. I still need to find a way to reinforce the windows/RCS thrusters/startrackers, install the windows/RCS thrusters/startrackers, and find a way to affix the cockpit.

I decided to line the underside of the payload bay with duct tape, both to prevent light from bleeding through and more importantly to provide a little extra strength.

For the payload, I chose to go with STS-104 (Which also meant making the orbiter initially Atlantis. Again, I want to try making the names modular). I encountered some bad warping on one side of the mid fuselage, but bracing it with electrical tape seems to be helping.

Retexturing the forward fuselage was a huge mess as photoshop decided to use 2gb of RAM and delay everything by 1-5 seconds. However I think the results are spectacular.

I accidentally made a patch of tiles on the underside go in the wrong direction, but I'll fix that later. I also need to figure out a way to reinforce the forward fuselage as it will be the weakest part.

I also got a few goodies in the mail, which I plan to display with the completed model--including a small 4x4x.5 LRSI tile sample signed by Jim Reilly, a large 6x6x4 HRSI tile, a section of AFRSI that flew on Discovery in the late 80's (The number indicates it was on the side of the mid fuselage near payload bay doors, I still haven't figured out exactly where), and a 'Remove Before Flight' fixture. I'm thinking about loaning the model/artifacts to a local science center or even the library to commemorate Atlantis' retirement.

A number of particles and fibers fell out of the AFRSI bag through a hole, so I decided that in the spirit of spaceflight awareness medallions, I'd encase them inside the model under the payload bay. All that's missing is a note saying "This model contains flown material from the Space Shuttle Discovery."

Last edited by Spaceguy5; 06-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Very well done! Good work on the tiles and cabin shape. The idea of flown material adds a nice little kick to the impact of the model. And crikey, it is BIG!! Seeing your hand holding the payload bay and Ku-band antenna gives a good idea of the sheer size of this model. Impressive!

For reinforcement I'd say you could use cardboard cross sections or just card strips that go all around the inside with cross-shaped beams for bulkheads. You might be able to use a marble to try and roll that pointy bit out of the nose cone.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Oh jeez, I got the windows strengthened and "glass" installed. The upper portion (where the cockpit will go) is now more solid and sturdy than cardboard. I glued 3 extra layers of cardstock around the window frames, and one extra layer around the rest of the upper portion of the cockpit. Even just the areas with 2 layers are very solid so I may try to do that for the rest of the cockpit as well. Also thanks for the tip for the nose, I'll definitely try that.
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow that's incredibly big I love big mods but that looks like a major structural integrety challenge. I thought the 1/4 merc cap was tough with integrety problems, but Scott did a great job in that area, it's all built from the inside out according to the original capsule. You may have to persue the same type strategy. For a shuttle that size you may have to design an internal frame work it wouldn't have to be to the detail of Scott's design, it's all going to be skinned.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
You may have to persue the same type strategy. For a shuttle that size you may have to design an internal frame work it wouldn't have to be to the detail of Scott's design, it's all going to be skinned.
That's what I was thinking, but so far the midfuselage/payload bay is sturdy as a rock, I expect the OMS pods to be very sturdy, most of the cockpit is sturdy, and the engine compartment should be very easy to reinforce with cardboard or foamboard. The only part I'm worried about are the wings. At 1/48, the wings are borderline sturdy and the forward part of the underbelly is a little weak. Naturally that'll be more pronounced in 1/24. I'm considering trying to use foamboard for the upper and lower surfaces of the wings, and extra layers of cardstock for the leading edges. Another thought is to crumble up paper towels and drench them in glue. That method has worked pretty well on smaller projects as it dries rock solid.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What ever you decide post some pics of the process, little details like these are the best way to learn. I love seeing modelers that show the building processes of thing that are never seen after the mod is done.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM

I got the forward fuselage finished. Instead of bulkheads, I just used 1-2 (3 in the tip of the nose) extra layers of cardstock, completely drenched in glue on one side. This method seems to work really good (even if it can be glue and paper intensive). I just cut small, manageable sections of the fuselage in Photoshop, desaturated/increased brightness/painted out everything but important lines to save ink, printed 2 copies, and glued them in. Though this process can lead to bad warping, the result is a rock-solid model that's resistant to bending when it dries. To combat warping, I did have to stuff flat sections under books for a while and I had to keep a close eye on round parts and tweak the shape every once in a while. Still, right now the forward fuselage is by far the strongest part of the shuttle so far. I also fixed the tile pattern on the underside. Once everything was strengthened, I installed the windows, window frames, RCS thrusters, startrackers, and a small simulated middeck to go with the hatch's window. Next up is the engine compartment.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM

I decided to take a break from the engine compartment and mount the cockpit. Here's the results. The cabin light is working perfectly. There's a slight fit issue with the forward fuselage, although nothing major. I think I can fix it. I'm going to wait until the wings are finished to attach the forward fuselage.

Google Adsense