PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
1:24 Space Shuttle?!

So, I decided I want to try super-scaling Fortezza's shuttle up to 1:24 (I'm glad he has it saved as vector art, although I wish I had more of it in high-quality, he seems to have only published a few high quality sheets). I plan on retexturing a few things first (such as tiles and AFRSI) and repositioning the cockpit windows and star trackers to fit better with Thorsten's parts.

So far, I have Thorsten's cockpit built. I also used a Quicktime VR of the shuttle middeck to add a simple middeck visible through the flightdeck openings, and installed an LED light. I coated the whole cockpit in electrical tape and aluminum foil to prevent light from bleeding through.

Here's a picture of the cockpit, next to another cockpit/shuttle in 1:48 scale. I estimate that the completed project will be about 60in long, 40in wide, and 24in tall.

And here's closeups of the cockpit:

Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That's remarkable. Very well crafted interior! I am curious how the rest will turn out.
I just wonder whether the two cockpit windows in the middle should be a little closer together.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
wow, very nice. Can't wait to watch this build progress.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm a little nervous about texturing it, although I dug up lots of great high-resolution images that should be really helpful. I wish there were more high-resolution photos of the sides of the shuttle available, that seems to be the only part I can't get a very close up look at. The windows on the interior model seem perfect compared to my source pictures, Thorsten did a great job with it. Although Fortezza's seem to be a bit off. I just finished putting together a really rough test-build of the exterior windows, and they at least align pretty closely. Building and strengthening this is going to take a lot of paper o.O
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Go for it Spaceguy5! This is going to be fun!

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally, I wanted to try getting the TPS as accurate as possible (Without giving each individual tile the correct ID number <____<) although that's proven to be way too tedious, so I'm just going to copy Fortezza's pattern (Except in areas where it is blatantly wrong--I'm glad I have TPS maps). I managed to make some pretty convincing photoshop patterns for HRSI tiles and AFRSI blankets. Here's the outer elevon, which I just finished texturing. I just ignored the back as it won't be visible. The fact that it takes up an entire page is a little intimidating

Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That's big! And you did a wonderful job in redesigning the tiles. I very much like the pattern and weathering.
The windows seemed a little too far apart at first glance but they do are well aligned with the commander's and pilot's seats.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Wow,
this will be huge! Will you add some extra parts for strength?
I wish you good luck at this project! What you did until now looks very nice!

Thorsten
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Wowee! And I thought that the 1/48 shuttle was big. Good luck to you sir. This should be a fun project to see come together.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Wowee! And I thought that the 1/48 shuttle was big. Good luck to you sir. This should be a fun project to see come together.
Haha, when I built it (And my 1/48 ISS) it seemed enormous, but I guess I'm desensitized now because it seems small >_>
Google Adsense