PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
1/48 Space Shuttle Stack, SLWT and SRB Rockets

Hey all,

I was looking at Thorsts 1/48 shuttle project, and he said hes not planning on making the complete stack for it. I definatly plan on building his shuttle, and I want to display the whole stack hung from the ceiling as if during launch, so I decided to design it myself. I do plan on actually finishing this one, as opposed to alot of things Ive started, and will hopefully finish one day.

Heres what I have so far on the SLWT (Super Light Weight Tank)

Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Hey,
if you need reference material, I found some very good drawings, they'd give you a lot of measurements (also for the orbiter-tank-connections---would be great if the models fit to each other ). Send me a PM if you need them.
My shuttle will be configuration STS-34 (at least at first), so no modified vertical stab with the drag chute housing! I'm not an expert with the ET, but the SLWT was used only since STS-91. But don't know how and where they differ.

And please-don't be angry if I end up with doing the full stack in one time, too, it won't be against yours but just for my enjoyment in designing... Now that I see it in my mind, I'm seriously considering it... But hey, let's go to the drawing board again!

Thorsten
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Have built a 1/96th-scale shuttle stack (using a re-sized Fortezza shuttle and scratchbuilt ET and RSRMs) I can only begin to imagine the work involved in building a stack twice that size.... Should be a fun project.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Go for it Ted!! bigger is better......The full stack is the way to go.......Rich
Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Id love the ref's Thorst, Couldnt find any with dimensions on the tank and boosters, anything helps. I think the only major visible differences between the tanks is in the piping diameters so If i can find enough info, ill make 2 versions of the piping, pretty sure the tank is the same otherwise.

Of course its ok for you to design your own, and It will probably look better than mine :D. I just want to build your shuttle as soon as its available, and why not have a stack already waiting for it

dhanners, Ya I scratch build a small stack to fit the fiddlers green shuttle while I was working for Dell and it was fun, This will be considerably larger lol and more detailed, Im just hoping that I stay motivated enough to finish it :D

Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedparkes View Post
Id love the ref's Thorst, Couldnt find any with dimensions on the tank and boosters, anything helps. I think the only major visible differences between the tanks is in the piping diameters so If i can find enough info, ill make 2 versions of the piping, pretty sure the tank is the same otherwise.

Of course its ok for you to design your own, and It will probably look better than mine :D. I just want to build your shuttle as soon as its available, and why not have a stack already waiting for it

dhanners, Ya I scratch build a small stack to fit the fiddlers green shuttle while I was working for Dell and it was fun, This will be considerably larger lol and more detailed, Im just hoping that I stay motivated enough to finish it :D
One thing I would suggest with a shuttle stack at 1/48th is using model rocket tubes for the ET and RSRMs. At that size, you're going to need the strength and rigidity the tubes provide.

And in my initial post, I meant to write "Having built a 1/96th-scale...."
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Wow, that's going to be one spectacular model! Let me know when it's available.
R
Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks Rich, I always go for big, you should know that lol... Still need to finish the Ohio, but had to move and other issues set that back a while...

Not sure what Ill do for the tubes, the ET will be almost 7 in in diamater..

Im thinking that with enough bulkheads it should hold up reasonably well, if not Ill have to figure out something else..

Might be able to use cardboard rolls from wrapping paper for a center former to provide a backbone..

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Small update, working on the Lox feed line and mostly done with the front mounting structure.

Working on a few ideas to simplify the shuttle mounts, while still looking mostly realistic, but being strong enough to hold as well... even at this scale, they will be pretty small, have to sacrifice accuracy a little bit for strength...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
tedparks

This is great to watch, can't wait to see how it turns out.

On you'r thomson build..theres a builder that has done one over on Zealot, it made model of the week. He didn't do ot on a computer though, his was all hand drafting, there's no graffics or color but it still turned out good, his name is Paul going under Paper Air