PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Hi PK, I say it in german, sorry:

Das erste Problem ist ein Baufehler von billy. Die Sitze auf dem Bild müssen um ca. 45° nach rechts gedreht werden, damit die Öffnungen von Outer shell und aft compartment übereinstimmen.

Zweitens hat nichts mit der Dicke zu tun, sondern mit der Spiegelung. Links ist rechts und nicht links (nur die inside!), wenn man die gespiegelten Sheets verwendet....
Ich hoffe, das kommt jetzt richtig rüber, vielleicht kannst du es für alle noch mal auf englisch sagen, danke und sorry!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Michael and PK,

maybe Google translator can help:

The first problem is a building defect by Billy. The seats in the picture must be about 45 ° rotated to the right so that the openings of outer shell and aft compartment coincide.

Secondly, has nothing to do with the thickness, but with the mirroring. Left is right and not left (only the inside!), when using the mirrored sheets ....

Maybe this is now better understandable.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Michael,

First, I want to say what a great job you are doing with the Command Module! Let me throw my thoughts into this.

The first problem that you mention has to do with "clocking" the floor/seat assembly into the lower compartment. You are correct - Billy shows the floor assembly misaligned to the lower compartment. This will mean that the internal components along the outer ring of the lower compartment will not line up to the holes and features in the outer shell. In the instructions, there is a method (using blue painters tape) to make sure the alignment is correct. I hope Billy does not decide to fix his model , nobody will know except him!!

The second problem, if I understand you correctly, is simply a labeling problem; is that correct? I didn't spend alot of time on these because Billy and I were working in mind-synchronization at the time, and all he needed was the patterns.

Your model is forming up nicely!!

Ken
Old 09-06-2014, 02:13 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Hi guys let me chime in here,
Michael, you are right about the alignment of the aft department, i glued it just before taking pictures without consulting the instructions, it does not result in fitting problems, only misplacing the floor/seat to the aft-department.
But I had no problem with allignment or misplacement using the mirrored parts
Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
It's like driving an English car with the steering wheel on the left side of the car backward and then somebody says go right and then you have to figure out which way you have to turn the wheel

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 09-06-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
it does not result in fitting problems, only misplacing the floor/seat to the aft-department.
Yes, that's it.

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
The second problem, if I understand you correctly, is simply a labeling problem; is that correct?
Ken
I have now print the outer parts of the outer shell from the mirrored sheets and the inner parts from the normally sheets and now all ist fit.

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I downloaded my copy today he he he he he
Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.53 MB
vacuum formed heat shield

I too have my copy of the model.
Great project- its at the top of my "to build" list.

I tend to be a paper purist. However, I recall a discussion on the manufacture of a vacuum-formed heat shield for this model.
(Sorry, I tried a search and couldn't quite happen on that sub-thread buried in 1700+ posts).

Would they be available for purchase?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Vacuum for heat shield

Early on in the development of the model Ken forwarded the heat shield to me. From that I was able to make a mold of the heat shield and fabricated a heat shield. I used a type of paper mâché, plaster mix with the top level being made from some disposable paper woven fabric that looked like the honeycomb Fiberglass of the real thing. I coated the whole thing with a layer of yellow carpenter glue and it ended up,looking like the real thing. The mold is made of plaster and could also be used to vacuum form in plastic. I don't think I will ever get around to building this model as I can't afford it even though I know the price is fair for the extreme engineering That went into it. My health has prevented me from modeling for awhile. I might be persuaded to share whatever I have with someone who will put it to use.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)