PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.0 KB
Helo Ken, I'm new to this site and I just discovered the info about your 1:12 Scale Apollo CM. I just wanted to ask, If I download the $18 File, does it tell what weight paper to use
and advice about paper sizes? I take it I can't just print out the files from a copier right? I guess I'd need to get it printed by a print shop that can print on card stock??

Looking forward to building it! Mark Freeman
Old 08-13-2015, 03:21 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Hi Hancock, the instructions are clear, you can print it on letter-format or A4 using 110b thin cardstock on a inkjet-printer.
If this is going to be your first model, have a lot of patience, there are a zillion parts :roll eyes: You might even try to do a couple of easier models to get the hang of it, but then again Ken's model is complicated, but it all fits very wel. o, and on this forum the dumbest question is the one that you didn't asked
Good luck
Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 278.5 KB
Wow! This was a long journey.. But I'm glad that Ken, Billy and so many had the idea, developed and built such a perfect machine (out of paper).
I love models and building/making things, this added to my love for the conquest of space and specially these early mankind accomplishments... I just had to download
Now I'm in trouble I know...
Alberto Pereira
Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.0 KB
Billy, I suppose that I could even use the paper pattern as a guide if I wanted to build a Plastic Command Module....of course I'd have to work with thin plastic sheets and spares.
Does the Paper Built CM feel solid and sturdy when completed?

Hancock (CVA19)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Well, that is an interesting thought, but it would raise a lot of problems, particularly because plastic doesn't behave like paper, I just can't think of plastic rolled into a tube and staying that way like paper, and edge glueing thin plastic would be almost impossible, but interesting
And , yes the model feels really solid
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
You can work with plastic sheet like with paper and cardboard. Thin plastic sheet comes with a thickness of about 0.25mm, which is close to the thickness of 250 g/mē paper. It is good for details, but for more structural parts you need 0.5mm plastic and thicker. You can also preform plastic like paper, but make sure that you do it very slowly as plastic tends to behave like thick cardboard, it folds rather than curves. Edge glueing is in fact easier with plastic than with paper, as the glue for plastic welds the material together and (if you use the right one) "dries" very fast.

So if you take the difference in thickness into account, it shouldn't be a problem!

Thorsten
Old 03-19-2016, 12:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 269.87 MB
Hey Guys,

Couple of questions from a long time lurker,

Has anyone every tried building Ken's gorgeous Command Module at 1:24 scale before ?

I ask because it didn't take me to long to figure out I had no place I could display this model in 1:12 so I took the plunge.

Shortly after I made this decision it dawned on me that a)I had lost my mind and b) at 1:24 it would put the Command Module at approximately the right size to mate up with UHU02's LM-7 "Aquarius".

Any thoughts on this one, has anyone tried it yet?

And 1 last question, is there in existence an Apollo Service Module in 1:24 or larger with sufficient detail to do these 2 beautiful models justice or am I going to have to try to design something myself (not sure I can do this successfully)?

Looking forward to any suggestions / comments.

Thanks in advance

George

P.S. I will upload some build photos of the 1:24 CM as I go, if anyone is interested.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Only thing keeping me from starting the model is the heat shield. The rest I can handle.

Someone was working on a pre-fab heat shield at one time. Dunno what ever came of it.

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by agparry View Post
Hey Guys,

Couple of questions from a long time lurker,

Has anyone every tried building Ken's gorgeous Command Module at 1:24 scale before ?

I ask because it didn't take me to long to figure out I had no place I could display this model in 1:12 so I took the plunge.

Shortly after I made this decision it dawned on me that a)I had lost my mind and b) at 1:24 it would put the Command Module at approximately the right size to mate up with UHU02's LM-7 "Aquarius".

Any thoughts on this one, has anyone tried it yet?

And 1 last question, is there in existence an Apollo Service Module in 1:24 or larger with sufficient detail to do these 2 beautiful models justice or am I going to have to try to design something myself (not sure I can do this successfully)?

Looking forward to any suggestions / comments.

Thanks in advance

George

P.S. I will upload some build photos of the 1:24 CM as I go, if anyone is interested.

Eons ago, a fellow who went by the name Surfduke had an Apollo CSM (as well as a Skylab and an ASTP and Lunar River) but his Moonport website is no longer up.

The Wayback Machine has it, but it appears to lack the pages for the Service Module, for some reason.
http://web.archive.org/web/201209081...om/Moon%20Port

That said, as nice as Surfduke's stuff was -- and for awhile, if was the only game in town -- there would be a big difference in quality between Ken's CM and Surfduke's SM. Ken's stuff is pretty stunning. (That said, I am hoping Ken revisits his X-15 one day to offer the earlier, shorter version, hint, hint.)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Moonport models are here in the download section.