PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-19-2016, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 269.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Eons ago, a fellow who went by the name Surfduke had an Apollo CSM (as well as a Skylab and an ASTP and Lunar River) but his Moonport website is no longer up.

The Wayback Machine has it, but it appears to lack the pages for the Service Module, for some reason.
http://web.archive.org/web/201209081...om/Moon%20Port

That said, as nice as Surfduke's stuff was -- and for awhile, if was the only game in town -- there would be a big difference in quality between Ken's CM and Surfduke's SM. Ken's stuff is pretty stunning. (That said, I am hoping Ken revisits his X-15 one day to offer the earlier, shorter version, hint, hint.)

Shhhh leave Ken alone, I am dyeing to see his lunar rover finalised.

Took a look at the CM and your right, not in the same class as Ken or UHU02 that said for a 1:32 scale model with a LOAD of different options, it ain't bad pity the SM isn't there could have been a decent starting point for me.

EDIT.

this is what I get for not reading to the end of the thread before posting I guess.

Spacecraftcreator, found the SM and downloaded it smaller scale than I wanted but as I said above should be a good starting point for to build something Thank you
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Years before Ken graced us with his models, I used Surfduke's CSM as a basis to build Apollo 7 using various kinds of metallic papers. (Fortunately, Apollo 7 lacked the docking probe, EVA handles and the High-Gain Antenna, although I scratchbuilt a detailed HGA before I discovered that fact....)
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-image.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
I wanna model like you when I grow up, David!

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
I wanna model like you when I grow up, David!

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
You're too kind, Les. I'd just like to model again. I broke my left arm about 5 weeks ago (and of course I'm left-handed) and although the physical therapy is helping, it is slow-going.

That said, your excellent builds have been inspiring, Les, and we can all learn something from you.

And I should note that I later went back and painted the RCS nozzles silver, since they are not really gold. More photos here: Starship Modeler: Gallery (Real Space)
Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 166.59 MB
Hi Billy, Glad to hear you are open to "dumb" questions. I'm a recently retired space nut and have purchased the 1:12 Command Module for fun. I've always loved building and repairing things. But as I begin the project I have run into some basic troubles that I would like to solve before I get in too deep. The pattern has no overlaps for gluing. I cannot decide whether I should just overlap a minimum amount or use a strap glued on the inside - or what. There must be a standard procedure that I am missing here. I've also wondered if I should use the second thickness offset so that there are no edges to glue. HELP please.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Ron,
Not Billy, but hopefully my answer is also useful. Indeed there aren't any glue tabs on the parts. You'll have to provide them yourself. This leads to a tighter, more seamlessly looking skin and tighter seams. You haven't chosen the easiest model to start with, though. This really is a model for experienced builders.
This doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try, we're here to help you along.

As for glue strips: for the smaller parts you could use a relatively thin kind of paper, the bigger parts would need a little stronger paper. You also could try edge gluing with some parts. Be conservative with the amounts of glue you use.
With a good white PVC based glue and something like Aleene's tacky glue you'll have almost all glue jobs covered. Perhaps some of the parts are better of with CA glue bit I doubt it.

I have the model in my stash, so I also can give you some advice on what to do with the parts. Just take it slow and don't do too many parts at once, you'll get loads of callus (-; and will lose the overview.
Good luck!

PS. There are no dumb questions.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:07 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
About a month or so ago I got the bug, I wanted to build this kit. I was all guns go, I even printed out all four million pages and began to take a look. The more I looked, the more I laughed. Some shaking of the head as well.
Yeah, right.
Well, maybe one day, just not this day. I've carefully packaged it up, just in case. Whenever I get in the mood I'll take it out once again, have a good laugh, and probably put it back in the TO BE BUILT list.
It's a beautiful kit, with tons of detail. Just a bit too overwhelming for me right now.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 114.28 MB
Surfduke's Apollo Service Module model

David et al,

It's strange that Surfduke's Apollo SM model isn't there, if you try to download it (I tried) at the Moonport site, via the Wayback Machine!

Oh well, if anybody wants it for a build, I think I have it downloaded from way back when, when Surfduke released all his fine models. Just PM me if you would like to build it, and I will search for it on my separate drive.

Btw, I cannot find any of the Surfduke Moonport models in our dowload section?..

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Old 07-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt F View Post
David et al,

It's strange that Surfduke's Apollo SM model isn't there, if you try to download it (I tried) at the Moonport site, via the Wayback Machine!

Oh well, if anybody wants it for a build, I think I have it downloaded from way back when, when Surfduke released all his fine models. Just PM me if you would like to build it, and I will search for it on my separate drive.

Btw, I cannot find any of the Surfduke Moonport models in our dowload section?..

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Bengt, they are all there. Just scroll down a little.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.53 MB
Build question

Almost done. It is turning out amazingly well!

(Forgive me if this has come up before......)
I just started the Boost Protective Cover (parts 18). There is some ambiguity as to whether the lower outside cover shell is, or is not, back by cardboard. That is, is it 18a, 18b, 18c, 18d or 18a*, 18b*, 18c*, or 18d*? The instructions and parts seem to disagree.

I opted for the latter. I hope I am right.

Will post pictures in due time.

Thanks, Ken! Awesome project.