PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
My stance on being a purist is: doesn't mean anything to me. But I am a believer in using any material that is easy to find and use, and if it enhances the realism of the model, my number 1 goal, then I go for it. I would use a carved piece of soap if it served that goal. Having said that, I haven't found too many things that couldn't be adequately represented in paper. Unfortunately, the wire guards are one of those things.

Ken
Pretty well sums it up... Go for it!

Later! OL JR
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
What does everyone else think about the wire? I would also be interested in your reasons one way or the other: it's not paper, too much work, too fiddley, etc, it's an important element/visual, doesn't really add to the model etc.... Based on the feedback, maybe a compromise solution can be found.

Ken
I'll dissent on the wire. That just seems like too much effort.

How about D-shaped card pieces with the wire shape printed on them: D D D D D D D D D D D D

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Laser-cut detail set?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
This is looking freaking amazing!!

I say yes to the guards but in paper rather than wire. I like to avoid using anything but paper or glue whenever reasonably possible. Perhaps you could include instructions for wire and paper guards...? Not to give you more work or anything. Even if you didn't include paper ones, I'd probably whip some out (I use that term loosely here) myself. So, in the end, do what your expert mind feels is appropriate. I'm just glad you're designing this at all!
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
Brass Photo Etch components?

I have done a few things in it, Might be suitable for the situation.

John
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
LED's in there would be cool too!
You could use fiber optic lights. you can go to wal-mart or the dollar store and get toys made with it pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-fiber-optic-lights.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-usb-optic-fibre-christmas-tree_39.jpg  
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
yes to fiber optics,.. with painted acetate buttons so the light shows through,.. or LEDs
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
yes to fiber optics,.. with painted acetate buttons so the light shows through,.. or LEDs
I don't see any smilies to suggest this is written tongue-in-cheek, so I'll just say, remember not everyone is skilled or advanced enough to do stuff like this.

Maybe Ken can accommodate these bells and whistles as extras somehow, but I (Mr. Average Card Modeler) would prefer to see the kit designed at a level where someone like me can build a clean, good-looking replica.

Just my .02 zlotys.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Just to clarify for the other readers here, on the subject of the wire guards - I am not asking Ken to give himself RSI making cardboard versions. I think the panel looks superb enough without them (in any material!) but that is just this one man's opinion. If Ken wishes to make guards, in wire, then he must do so - as I posted earlier, it is his baby! I am just glad to have the opportunity to watch a pro at work!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
I don't see any smilies to suggest this is written tongue-in-cheek, so I'll just say, remember not everyone is skilled or advanced enough to do stuff like this.

Maybe Ken can accommodate these bells and whistles as extras somehow, but I (Mr. Average Card Modeler) would prefer to see the kit designed at a level where someone like me can build a clean, good-looking replica.

Just my .02 zlotys.

This is actually a good point. Even most plastic models come as a bare-bones kit. But there are plenty of aftermarket kits to add realism. I suppose that's how I could look at this one. (except that the add-ons would be included in the kit of course.)

Meanwhile, I thought of an idea for finger guards (as an option) as I was driving home tonight. It involves a sewing pin, a short piece of wire, fishing line, superglue, and paint.

Step 1 - Poke holes where the finger guards would be.
Step 2 - Place a small diameter wire over the bank of switches
Step 3 - Start wrapping fishing line around the wire and looped through the holes.
Step 4 - Turn over, spread THICK superglue over the underside to anchor the loops.
Step 5 - Slide out the wire and paint.

This of course can be a build option. Fishing line may not be the optimal material; kind of springeee. The thin wire that was discussed earlier will work better. You can see how fishing line comes out... and you cannot bend them straight. But this could be a fast method... all of the loops would be identical in height, and based on my little experiment, I would guess that the entire panel could be looped in about 2 hours once you get set up and running.

Thoughts?

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-pt8-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pt8-003.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pt8-007.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pt8-008.jpg