PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Fine job with the console Ken! May I add my belated birthday greetings here aswell. I attach here a good picture of the main console I just found just for reference for the discussion, hope you don't mind me doing so. Best regards,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-cm-mainconsole.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
The instrument panel is a whole kit in itself,

Just stunning work Ken, Well done

John
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Aaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!

Just look at all those finger guards (in Tappi's photo) that Ken wants to recreate! I look forward to seeing Ken's fishing line versions - a fine idea, but won't the painting of them be really fiddly? I would have a hard time keeping paint off the panel itself! What a shame you haven't got grey fishing line, or soft-ish grey wire ...... hmmmm ..... now theres a thought .....

Tappi, that is a fine pic of the CSM panel - where is it from/where was it taken? Looks like a great museum display.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
- where is it from/where was it taken? Looks like a great museum display.
It's a Flickr shared photo and it was taken at some Smithsonian Institute exhibition or perhaps even a permanent display - I don't knw for sure.

Tappi
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
where is it from/where was it taken?
The control panel is displayed at the National Air and Space Museum, Dulles, Washington DC, USA.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks guys!

That's a really good photo of the panel. I have 3 separate high-definition pictures (LH, CTR, RH) that I used to create my panel. If you take a look at the real panel, and take note of the locations of the switch guards, you will see that my panel is very close to identical, and the exact number of switches are represented. In 1/12 scale, the opportunity for detail and accuracy is limitless. In many ways, the control panel is the center-focus item in the CM, therefore, it has to be done as accurately as possible. I am also thinking about including a labeled "schematic layout" of all the panels in the CM, so that it can be used as a reference in identifying the gages, switches, and everything else.

When I finish the panel, I will take a photo in the same position as Tappi's, just for comparison.

Painting the finger guards should not be too difficult. I envision that the procedure will be similar to a technique called "dry-brushing".

I have abandoned the idea of fishing line.... too springieee... I will be trying a different approach this weekend...

Ken
Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM

When I found the foto I instantly noticed that you are doing a great job Ken. The only main difference is that the switches in the real panel are located in a notch/recess/indentation (what's the right word?). But that's a minor issue when the impression is right as in your creation. I'd go for a coated electrical wire for the fingerguards, might find it in grey too. ;-)

Tappi
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post

I have abandoned the idea of fishing line.... too springieee

Ken
You could try Spiderwire fishing line, it isn't solid and springy like regular fishing line, it is woven strands, real smooth and workable, plus it comes in grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-spiderwire-stealth300-yard-fishing-line.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-fishing-line-01.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think I will try and find some of that gray spiderwire stuff. According to the Internet, it's a common product, and Walmart carries it.

I made really good progress tonight. Saving the wrap-up of the main console panel for the weekend, I decided to complete the left hand forward bay. This one is used mostly for food storage.

Now that both forward bays are installed, I can build the Intrument panel support structure. I will be doing that in the morning. I couldn't help but place the panel on top just to get an idea of the visual impact that it is going to have.

So far, the fit is near perfect, and there are no set-backs or re-starts.

Thanks for watching, and don't touch that dial...

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-pb1-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pb1-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pb1-003.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pb1-004.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pb1-005.jpg  

Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Ken, I am running out of adjectives to describe your work. All I can say is stunning, fantastic, outstanding, amazing! Have a happy holiday.
Google Adsense