PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 405.07 MB
It seem very realist ,two questions do you spray varnish on the lay out first ? what is your printer you used ?
Thanks Jean
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
It seem very realist ,two questions do you spray varnish on the lay out first ? what is your printer you used ?
Thanks Jean
No varnish. Just printed out on 110 lb paper (thin cardstock), on an Epson 610 printer.

Ken
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 405.07 MB
Thanks for your reply. I follow your desing and beta build with a huge admiration !
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Ken, some very useful interior photos of Command Module interiors here:

Historic Spacecraft - Photos of Apollo Space Capsules

Scroll down the page to the section on Apollo 9!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Progress Report:

I haven't posted any pictures for awhile, but I have been working on the CM. It seems that the more pictures I find, the further I am from producting an exact replica. A lot of mistakes that I can't live with.

Unfortunately, I need to tear out the interior again. I have redesigned all of the parts though... This is a reiterative process, and because this is a very complicated subject in paper, probably won't be the last tear-up either...

I tacked in the right-rear storage compartment (in blue). The raw cardboard underneath will be covered. There are lots of items (batteries, sleeping retainers, moon rock boxes, etc..) on the floor, and there isn't alot of accurate data out there to go by. So I will be "faking it" until I can find better information.

There is an Apollo CM (I think 9) not too far from me, so maybe if I let the caretakers know what I am doing, I might just be able to go and take plenty of interior pictures!!! I'll take the model with me for credibility.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy watching the most frustratingly-fun project going right now.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-pb20-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pb20-002.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Ken,

Looks like the Urine Transfer Stowage equipment is down in that corner.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum and ex-NASA flack)
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-cm-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Ken,

At the first of this thread you talk about the heatshield being the hardest part.

When Closet Astronaut did his 1/4 scale Mercury, he posted a link to Home

If you click on the "Project" button on the left, scroll to "Friendship 7" and click on it, a bunch of photos will show up.

On the left is a PDF file under "How I built it". (Friendship 7 model builder)

The PDF file has a section (page 16) showing how he did his heatshield. He used masking tape , similar to your use of 3d panel effect. Lots of detailed photos showing the end result. Last photo of PDF shows end result.

Your 3d effects would look really good this way, the panel you did is what got me to remembering the heatshield project, read when Closet Astronaut was doing his project...

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 12-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Ken,

Glad to see you back!

I think I might be responsible for steering you towards a lot of those images ..... sorry! Having too much resource material can be a burden too. Sure, there was a lot of stuff stored in the CM under the couches and on the walls. I am wondering if it is necessary to build all of that? Those CMs on display no longer have any (or very little) of that stuff in them, but they still look good.

I can't help feeling you should just represent (in 2D or 3D, or a combination) the structural hardware - those panels, instruments, seats, handles, levers, lights, etc ('fixtures and fittings') that are actually bolted/screwed to the CM shell/structure. The boxes, bags, pouches, etc ('furniture') not screwed down tight, and perhaps initially only held in place with a strap/net/bungee cord, can best/easiest be left out? Or, if you really feel the need, covered much later in an 'additions' build (when you have rested, lol)?

The way you are talking, the perfectionist in you would like to get hold of the original North American engineering drawings for each and every part, wouldn't he? As magnificent as that goal may be, I think you are pushing yourself too hard, perhaps? Give yourself a gentle break, and go with what is reasonably do-able. You will still produce a fab model. And everybody else here on these forums, who know Ken West the modeller, would probably agree ..... but I leave it to them to make their opinions known.

In any event, Ken, the decision is, of course, yours to make. By the way, that shot through the hatch looks so like the many real photos one sees of CM exhibits - good stuff!

PS: You are in Michigan?
Apollo 8 CM is at the Museum of Science & Industry, Chicago, Illinois (Museum of Science and Industry | What's Here | Exhibits | Henry Crown Space Center)
Apollo 9 CM used to be at the Michigan Space and Science Center, Jackson, MI. It is currently at the San Diego Air & Space Museum, San Diego, California (http://www.sandiegoairandspace.org/exhibits/gallery.php?id=8))
Apollo 15 CM is at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio (Factsheets : Apollo 15 Command Module)

More info about CMs and their current locations:
A Field Guide to American Spacecraft | Apollo Index
Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Believe there is also some kind of display at the Armstrong museum in wapakoneta, Ohio as well, which is not that far south of toledo.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Believe there is also some kind of display at the Armstrong museum in wapakoneta, Ohio as well, which is not that far south of toledo.
Sadly, whilst the Armstrong Air and Space Museum does have the original Gemini 8 capsule (and Armstrong's Gemini and Apollo spacesuits) there is no Apollo CM hardware on display. The Apollo CM replica displayed outside the museum is merely the equivalent of a playground item.
Google Adsense