PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Looks great Ken, looking forward seeing the main control panel and its new appearance. Just one thing, the door on the right side equipment bay seems a bit too wide. Please tell me if these are too minor details I pick up but it was you who said you wanted to desing this accurately.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-door.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hey Tappi, not sure, but it looks to me like the photo you referenced there was taken with a wide-angle lens or other distortion lens so the apparent sizes and proportions are off. In that pic, the tunnel doesn't look round, and the IP looks off too. Or is it just me?
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Ken,
I'm a bit pressed for time, as I'm sure you are this time of the year, but I think part of the problem Tapcho is seeing is due to the lower equipment bay being too close to the centerline of the capsule:

As you might be able to tell from the isometric, the navigation station bumps out from the face of the lower equip. bay, and that 'bump out' is (almost) the only part of the lower bay that contacts the forward most face of the cabin. (I think it may be a bit easier to see in this blacked-out view of the lower bay)
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm01.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-detail7.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 12-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I think the problem is multi-faceted. Tappi's picture does have a little paralax error, due to a wide-angle lens; but it's not the whole story.

The problem that I have is trying to design inside a "cone-shaped" wall; trying to balance all of the planer surfaces, at the proper angles, and all of them have to converge to a specific point. Difficult. I don't think the equipment bays are too close to the centerline of the tunnel. I think the side walls are not inboard enough.

I don't think I want to tear this up again because I don't think the shell will survive the second surgery. Let me continue with the current design. I'll make all of the changes later in a complete second build. This way I can account for all of the content; some of which haven't even been concieved yet, and validate the design while creating the instruction set.

Thanks for the continued critique - these are valid issues, and I appreciate knowing about them. I trust that you guys know the difference between real issues, and chicken poop.

Ken
Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Ken, I know how you feel, I had the same issues on my shuttle cockpit and needed really a lot of trials and errors. When I might give you the tip I learned durig this is: IF you choose to reiterate the thing - start now with the new one and don't waste the time and effort on a design that you already know will not last too long. Believe me, I know how hard it feels to do so, but if you already know that you will change it...

I hope you get my intention which is probably a lot better meat than it sounds...

Thorsten
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
[...]I think the side walls are not inboard enough. [...]
Ken
I think you hit the nail there. The outer shell and the inner walls are not identical cones one just smaller than the other. My gut feeling is that the inner cone is steeper in it's porpotions compared to the outer shell (meets the outer cone where the tunnel is but is narrower in the other end). It's very hard for me to find right words here because my vocabulary in geometry is not that good. I hope I made some sense.

Anyhow - on you go with this fantastic endeavour.

Tappi
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Ken,
First of all, I can't convey how excited I am that you've taken on this project. I have literally been waiting more than a decade for this subject to be modeled in the attention it deserves, and with your previous accomplishments I have no doubt you are the man. I am in awe of both your skill at designing, and building.
The first time I commented about your progress I went through a lot of self debate because I didn't want to look like I was criticizing your work. I was surprised when you tore it apart, yet pleased to see that it looked like you nailed it in V.2. It was only after you mounted the equipment bay that I thought it looked like something was still amiss, but maybe it was relatively minor, and it was only because of your reply, and want of accuracy, that I said anything.

One thing that I have found difficult in even attempting to design this myself (aside from acquiring the skills you've got), is a lack in cross sectional views. These are all the cross sections I have found over the years, I hope maybe there are a couple that you may not have seen before and that they are helpful. Most are from the Apollo Operations Handbook PDFs (except of course the Revell vs. actual pic), but the first three that have measurements; I'm not sure where I came across those. After a quick scan through the PDFs last night I didn't see them, but I have no reason to think the measurements are off showing the lower equipment bay @ 33" from centerline, and the left and right equipment bays @ 42", and I'm curious how closely it correlates to you model.
Also, I'm not positive, but I believe the illustrations that we're all familiar with are isometric drawings, and if so, it should possible to get relatively good measurements of the interior features from good resolution images of the drawings. (I feel a bit silly stating that since I’m sure you’re well aware of it; and I’ve never actually gotten to the point and measuring them out to see if they are isometrics.)

I hope anything of this is helpful to you, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm01.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm02.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm03.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-4.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-6.jpg  

Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-2.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-3.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cross-2.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-5.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-image013.jpg  

Apollo command module - 1:12-revcmdims.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
This is what I really like of this place: helping a designer with getting a new great model as perfect as can be. Kudos to Mechanic - and Ken of course. It is going to be a wonderful model.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
This is what I really like of this place: helping a designer with getting a new great model as perfect as can be. Kudos to Mechanic - and Ken of course. It is going to be a wonderful model.
I agree. I can use all the reference help I can get.

Tonight, I redesigned the interior parts again. Moved the side bays inboard .25 inches each side - that converts to 3 inches in 1:1 scale. Doesn't seem like much, but it made a huge difference on the model. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I won't need to tear up the model either... so all is good!!!

Ken
Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 AM

And here is some more great news!

Billy sent me a message, and said that he could do the airbrush cover rendering for the kit!

What a great way to start Christmas Eve!!!! I woke up late a little groggy and tired from working late last night on the design changes I mentioned in the last post. But I am fired up now!

Ken