PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
More progress today...

No finger guards and switches since this is not the final version, and time is precious!

Ken
Thank you for thinking of us future customers!

Mike Bauer
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
Ken,

Forgive me if I missed this...but are these the actual colors you'll use on the finished interior?

I'm asking because I kept thinking, "Something doesn't look right." When I looked at several pix of flown CMs, I realized what was bothering me. There seems to be rather more variation in colors and contrast that the model shows, e.g., this photo of the Apollo 10 CM interior: http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...0-interior.jpg

To my eye, the "walls" look almost a duck egg blue shade, and the panels seem to be a darker gray than on the model.

Am I just seeing things? The details on your model are extraordinary. Just wondering about the colors....

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Every model I have ever done in paper always comes down to the "controversy of color". I had a hell of a time trying to convince people that the SR-71 is NOT black when viewed as a scale model in sunlight.

I believe I have the right colors for the CM, but sometimes different printers produce different shades... so I could be off a little.

I'll post a pdf of the parts in the download section, and people can weigh in on the colors. To top it off, I am colorblind, so I tend to focus on geometry and content, rather than color.

I can easily change the colors in Corel... no problem... I just need a consensus on what the correct colors should be.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Ken
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Ken, this is in creditable work! I don't care what color it is this is amazing. I am grateful for the constant updates, thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
In my eyes, the colors are spot on! At least on my monitor here I can not see a difference between the build pictures and photos of the real thing. Keep on the nice work!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
black isnt black? oh man! heh heh - just kidding, I was one of those that didnt understand
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
This continues to be a brilliant project which is just incredible to watch come together...so much superb detail and attention to the many little things that make this a jaw-dropping build.

Keep at it, mate, and thanks for so much information which makes this thread a real treat to read!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Ken,
Hope I don't make you mad for throwing so much at you in one post, and I apologize ahead of time if you've already addressed any of these things in the final version. The first couple of things are pretty minor and are probably what you might refer to as 'chicken poop'; sorry. 1) The 'zig-zag' that separates the major panel segments goes one too high. 2) Not withstanding that there are differences between capsules; I think the door on the right hand forward equipment should be rectangular. Looking closely at photos, the only ones I've seen that appear to have an angled bottom seem to be an artifact of the angle the picture was taken from. Getting a bit heavier. 3) You may think this isn't that big of a deal, but I'll throw it out anyway, it's kind of a two-parter. Comparing to photos (I think it bears out in the drawings also, but not as easy to see) the instrument panel is almost flush with the hatch with only one to two inches of the hatch frame showing, and, the 'bump out' for the rendezvous windows extends forward past the instrument panel, with the 'bump out' impinging on the panel.

Finally, I'm a bit nervous to bring this up because I know you've put a lot of work into this project already. When I commented before and spoke of a 'foundation', I wasn't referring to just the outer shell but also the layout of the major areas of the interior, and I think something is amiss. 4) You mentioned that the lower equipment bay is too close to center-line and you're moving it out .25 inches. I don't know if you misspoke, but in the fourth image I've drawn a line approximating a quarter inch move vs. to where I believe the wall should (about) be. Leading to the final issue. 5) Moving the lower equipment bay will reveal more of the 'triangular area' but not in proper proportion or position. I've drawn a line to show the top of the triangle area relative to the tunnel. Moving the lower bay wall won't change this; if the right and left equipment walls are in the right place (but they look to me too close), then something else is out of whack, like the placement of the forward bulkhead, the thickness of the forward equipment bays, the placement of the instrument panel, or maybe a combination of these things.

Again, I'm nervous to say anything, I feel like I might be viewed as throwing a monkey wrench at this, or causing a delay, but I'm as anxious as anyone to build this incredible work of yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-panel-dividers.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-rhfwdequip.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-instpanel.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-fwdbulkhead.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-triangle.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Banned

You have a great eye for detail Mechanic. You also explained it very well. I had noticed something amiss but I do not have the credentials to point anything out like this, but you really do have a good eye for things. I just wanted to mention that as an observation of fact. I am also a great fan of Ken and see no conflict between the two, but thank you for pointing out a problem that Ken alluded too but I could not see. I am often amazed how well you "see" . Sincerely.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 AM

if you look at mechanic's 5th picture ( bottom right corner area of pic) you could assume that it must be a variant,.. because clearly some of the panels are somewhat different,.. just my thought though

this model is looking freakin awesome!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post

I believe I have the right colors for the CM, but sometimes different printers produce different shades... so I could be off a little.

Ken
Ah, photography just ain't my thing! In the couple pix that mechanic posted of the model, the colors look just fine.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Google Adsense