PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Ken, that model just gets better and better - how do you do it?

However, I feel I may upset the applecart .... a bit .... with the following info. I was having a look at the Systems Manual for CSM 104 (Apollo 9) and unexpectedly and belatedly spotted the following diagrams (which I have also now uploaded to the online album link I sent you some time back). I am very surprised to see that the detailed side-on "Cross Section Of Tunnel At CL" (CL = centre line) through the forward compartment (the 'nose' area, where the chutes etc are stored) is not cylindrical! It appears to be a very gently widening cone, the further forward (to the nose) it extends! Furthermore, the depicted part of the tunnel within the crew compartment (under the instrument panel) also seems to be a gently widening cone!

The second image, although only showing a somewhat 'representative' version, seems to confirm this widening cone theory with it's 2 small cross-sectional diagrams in the centre of the image.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Thoughts, anyone? What does the source material you are using show, Ken?

PS: mperdue, nice one for bringing Walt's attention to Ken's sterling work!
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-9-fwd-compt.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo-9-eqpt-bays.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Ken, that model just gets better and better - how do you do it?

However, I feel I may upset the applecart .... a bit .... with the following info. I was having a look at the Systems Manual for CSM 104 (Apollo 9) and unexpectedly and belatedly spotted the following diagrams (which I have also now uploaded to the online album link I sent you some time back). I am very surprised to see that the detailed side-on "Cross Section Of Tunnel At CL" (CL = centre line) through the forward compartment (the 'nose' area, where the chutes etc are stored) is not cylindrical! It appears to be a very gently widening cone, the further forward (to the nose) it extends! Furthermore, the depicted part of the tunnel within the crew compartment (under the instrument panel) also seems to be a gently widening cone!

The second image, although only showing a somewhat 'representative' version, seems to confirm this widening cone theory with it's 2 small cross-sectional diagrams in the centre of the image.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Thoughts, anyone? What does the source material you are using show, Ken?

PS: mperdue, nice one for bringing Walt's attention to Ken's sterling work!
The widening diameter of the tunnel that is forward of the bulkead is correct. I haven't designed that part yet. The portion of the tunnel under the control panel is tapered, but in the opposite direction from the illustration shown. So I think we are good.

A few months back, I sent the 2 Apollo 11 paper astronauts to Buzz Aldrin. Cost me $80.00 to ship them. His office manager sent me a photograph of them sitting on a corner shelf in Buzz's office. She said that Buzz was in "awe" of the models, as was his staff. (Not trying to bragg - just what she told me in an email). I was hoping to get a personal reply, but didn't. No complaint though; as I am extremely honored to have him acknowledge my work. Very cool!

Ken
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The portion of the tunnel under the control panel is tapered, but in the opposite direction from the illustration shown. So I think we are good.
Well, Ken, that is a relief regards the model build ...... but now I really am puzzled about the (apparently accurate) diagram in the CSM 104 Manual! Why would it be "in the opposite direction from the illustration shown", lol!?

Wibble! Hatstand! I think I'll go and have a conversation with the bleeps and squeaks from a fax machine ......
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Buzz isn't the only person in awe of your work.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Well, Ken, that is a relief regards the model build ...... but now I really am puzzled about the (apparently accurate) diagram in the CSM 104 Manual! Why would it be "in the opposite direction from the illustration shown", lol!?

Wibble! Hatstand! I think I'll go and have a conversation with the bleeps and squeaks from a fax machine ......
I believe what's illustrated in the diagram is the intersection of the panels under the instrument panel, the photo, after a quick search, I think shows it well. As Ken said, it is opening up in the opposite direction. It's just an artifact of how those two panels come together.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-f61003xm.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-f61003xmb.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Ken, I have added some photos of the Apollo 9 CSM, taken during my recent San Diego visit, to the ImageShack album link I gave you a couple of weeks back. Who knows, the details within may come in handy for detail referencing. Example below.

Quote:
It's just an artifact of how those two panels come together.
Ah, I get it now! Thanks Mechanic!
I shall continue to watch this build in the coming weekend from a much warmer and sunnier (than the UK) India!

PS: Details you asked for, Mechanic, are in your PMs.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-apollo_9_csm_exterior_a.jpg  

Last edited by bernoullis; 02-03-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Back from India (and a pleasant little sojourn it was, too) .... but it seems to have gone quiet in the West household. Or perhaps he has been feverishly cutting/folding/glueing ..... and will soon unveil another momentous milestone in his project that is the amazing Apollo Command Module! [cue fanfare!!!]

I hope so ...... as I need my Apollo 'fix' ..... and Mr West is my 'dealer.'

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM

I've been stripping wallpaper, painting and etc... But, I have been working on the CM's outer shell detailing. I resized them one more time for a perfect fit, and detailing the panels with rivets and score lines.

Pictures this weekend.

Ken
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
I've been stripping wallpaper, painting and etc... But, I have been working on the CM's outer shell detailing. I resized them one more time for a perfect fit, and detailing the panels with rivets and score lines.

Pictures this weekend.

Ken
Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to....

Cheers!
Jim
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've been stripping wallpaper, painting and etc...
Life getting in the way, eh? Tut, tut, I don't know ....... what is this world coming to?

Quote:
Pictures this weekend.
Yippee! Yay! Hurrah!
Google Adsense