PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
The BPC/LES on their own are museum pieces. Outstanding.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Hi Mike,

There are 2 sizes of tubing for the tower; .25 in and .187 in.

It turns out that these standard sizes are very close to the actual diameters, so I "slightly" and "imperceptibly" (if that's a word) changed the scale. There are 2 reasons for this: 1) a builder can easily convert to wooden dowel, and 2) provides a good armature for rolling.

As to the paper, I am using 110 lb cardstock, but after rolling these, and seeing all the crumples, it would be better to use standard bond paper. Being a tubular rocket man yourself, you already know that rolled paper, even thin paper, is plenty strong. But I am waiting to see how heavy the escape rocket is before deciding the final thickness to use for the paper.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Yes, paper would be easier, but it looks different than the cardstock. (Brightness numbers)

I'm doing the early version of yours. Mercury LES at 1/12 scale means the full size 1" tubes are 0.083".

It has been taking 25-minutes to roll/glue each tube that is 6" long before cutting to proper length. (up to three different tubes at once)
First I start with a 1/8" dowl to curve the tube, then a 2mm carbon tube, stepping down to a 1.5mm rod, finally a 1mm carbon rod for gluing.

I'm using 110# Index with glue tabs for inside gluing (not butt joints).

One great thing about the new epson printer; excess glue doesn't smear the ink like my Hp ink does....

Will post some photos on the "Making smaller tubes" thread, that show my process.

Like everyone else-Can't wait to get started on this project! Trying to get my to-do list of builds downsized to make room once you release! Glad it has been taking awhile....

Mike
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
With exception of some small details, the tower is finished and attached to the BPC.

I came up with a way to make sure that the 4 tower legs settle into a perfect and common plane, so that we don't end up with the Leaning Tower of Piza.

Picture 1 - the four mounting brackets (note the square hole inside)...
Picture 2 - see how the leg sits in the square hole?
Picture 3,4,5,6,7 - Self Explanatory

Picture 8 - This is what I was referring to the other night when I said I wanted to shine a light on the model. Open the picture up and take a close look...

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-003.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-004.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-005.jpg  

Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-006.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-007.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm7-008.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Ken, this just keeps getting better and better. Outstanding work! You realize that everyone will want the service module next, then the Lunar Module, then the Lunar module adapter, then.......... Hope you have vaulted ceilings in your house.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1772 View Post
Ken, this just keeps getting better and better. Outstanding work! You realize that everyone will want the service module next, then the Lunar Module, then the Lunar module adapter, then.......... Hope you have vaulted ceilings in your house.
I always wanted to do a Lunar Module; but I am getting a little burned out. A highly detailed Lunar Rover would be nice too.

Ken
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM

For the final Saturday installment, I started the rocket fairing. Looks like a simple cone right now, but this gets more detail... stay tuned tomorrow!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm8-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm8-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm8-004.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm8-006.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Sunday morning... I assembled the 4 rocket nozzles, and attached the fairing to the top of the tower. Note: I used super glue to attach the fairing to the tower.... these 4 joints must withstand the weight and moment of the rocket tube.

The last picture shows 2 things: 1) the Apollo Project to date, and 2) my disaster of a work table; which is just the way I like it. Everything I need at arm's length!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-003.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-004.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-005.jpg  

Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-008.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm9-009.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Phenomenal!

Suggestion for those of us who will build this stunning replica: Let's post our builds on the sites that primarily host plastic modelers' works. That way, we can spread the word that card models can equal -- and in the case of Ken's CM, surpass -- plastic models costing many times as much.

I'm had several plastic build features run on Modeling Madness (MODELING MADNESS: The Finest Review Site on the Web). I'm going to ping Scott as soon as I get my ham-fists on Ken's CM!

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
That is simply amazing, no other words for it
Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I'm still at the bottom, and working my way round the AFT-compartement
Fitting is great , details are excellent
that 1:12 scale is so nice, but now I start to realize what Ken has been up against .I think I found something usable for the fingerguards on the main panel, but I'll have to try it out first,
and boy, I can imagine how it will look with the escape tower...
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-img_3043.jpg