PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
I'm thinking about the CM on the moment of re-entry with a glowing heat shield and the earth in the back.. open for suggestions

I've been following this thread from the beginning and your discussion on doing a re-entry illustration brought back memories of an illustration I did for Fiddlers green many year ago of the Space Shuttle re-entry.

The model is one of Dan Reno's Delta One kits. The Earth is a dropped in Gemini photo and the glow is Photoshopped in......I don't know if this is the kind of thing you had in mind?

Apollo command module - 1:12-reentry-glow.jpgClick to enlarge

Good luck on your illustration, I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Swampfox
Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdre View Post
I had read that all of the Apollo craft were unique and not all interior design the same. Some varied due to mission duration and supplies needed. I do believe that all of the interior walls were in the same position, but I just want to point out that we should be careful about looking a images from different missions, and be careful with images that were not Apollo 11, which I believe Ken said was the focus on this model.

Ron
You are correct. Most of the variation between the Apollo moon missions were in the cargo areas adjacent to the heatshield. But as you point out, the basic shapes otherwise were common in their position and configuration. Some differences in the buttons in the control panels, but I am not paying that close of attention to that. At least not yet.

Mechanic is pointing out a design flaw (mine, not in the real hardware design) That is, the large bay (the one underneath the couches) is too close to the centerline of the CM. This is duly noted and will be fixed in the final version. As he points out, this will fix alot of issues. Thanks again Mechanic! Your critical eye is important as I don't always see the forest...

For now, here is the main control panel. Someone earlier had pointed out that the panel looked too wide. Pulling the side wall inboard has fixed this. A little adjustment will be made in the final version, but for now, this is where I am to date.

Expect more flaws - not alot of good dimensional data is available; just pictures, so this project is about as much artistic interpretation as it is anything else. But with your help, we will get really close!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm28-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm28-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm28-003.jpg  
Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Merry Christmas, all!

Quote:
Expect more flaws - not alot of good dimensional data is available; just pictures, so this project is about as much artistic interpretation as it is anything else. But with your help, we will get really close!
Ken, in that PM I sent you several days back, with the on-line album link, the following 2 images are included:
1. The panel display image appears to include some very good dimensions - although the dimensions are not stated, I assume they are inches? I realise you are already working very hard at getting the interior correct, with several iterations, but perhaps if you can get the panel spot-on, some of the other dimensions may be easier to finesse?
2. The panel numbering image, although not containing any dimensions, provides a view that may help with tuning the relative dimensions/proportions of the troublesome equipment bays.

Where you get your patience, Sir, I do not know, but we thank you for persevering!
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-maindisplayconsolea.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-panelnumbering.jpg  
Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Ken,
I had a little bit more of a general question. You've mentioned several times that you are incorporating many of the changes on the final release version to minimize the rebuilds. When I commented previously about errors to the interior from the Virtual Apollo book; the errors stand out to me because there are comparative visual references for the various pieces and components, but I have no idea if the exterior is dimensionally correct. I don't know if you were using Virtual Apollo for the outside when you started, but if you did, and it also is incorrect, I would think it would be exceeding difficult to match a correct inside with a flawed 'foundation'.
I realize you aren't going to be able to fix every issue that's brought up, but then, even your first version blows every other Apollo model out of the water!

Isaac Asimov
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
The only ones in space are the vague Apollo 13 pics, as far as I know. But, albeit grounded, here's a view on the top part of the CM:

Perhaps this might fit together with another in-space picture of an Apollo CSM with the capsule 'shopped out..
Thanks, Jasper
That's just what i needed, I can work with that..
Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2011, 04:06 AM
POTW Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
I've been following this thread from the beginning and your discussion on doing a re-entry illustration brought back memories of an illustration I did for Fiddlers green many year ago of the Space Shuttle re-entry.

The model is one of Dan Reno's Delta One kits. The Earth is a dropped in Gemini photo and the glow is Photoshopped in......I don't know if this is the kind of thing you had in mind?

Attachment 112005Click to enlarge

Good luck on your illustration, I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Swampfox
That is really nice Swampfox, What techniques did you use ?,looks like you combined them
That background was what I had in mind indeed...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:21 PM
POTW Editor

I found this amazing source looking for pictures, but they are all there
Apollo Flight Journal - Index Page and
http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html
They have the photo's categorized by the films coming out of the Hasselblad camera's

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 12-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
Ken,
I don't know if you were using Virtual Apollo for the outside when you started, but if you did, and it also is incorrect, I would think it would be exceeding difficult to match a correct inside with a flawed 'foundation'.
Fortunately, I used actual dimensions to set up the outer shape of the CM, so we should be OK there.

Here is where I am as of today:

Picture 1 - The old footprint of the lower equipment bay.

Pictures 2 - The new footprint...

Picture 3 - Navigation station

Pictures 4 thru 7 - Buildup of the panels

I took these pictures with the light glancing across the panels to show how they are shingled.

The final version will have the lower equipment bay lowered approximately .25 inches to correct the geometry problems discussed earlier.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-003.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-004.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-005.jpg  

Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-006.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-cm30-007.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM

She's really comming together, I've been silently watching this project chomping at the bit. You've already taken this above and beyond Scott's 1/4 Merc. Looking forward to building this with great anticipation. Beautiful work!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Stunning, simply stunning....
Google Adsense