PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
First time visitor...

Hi people,

I thought I should join so I can post a few pictures and join the love-fest for Sir Alfonso! I started building Fortezza's ISS abour 5 years ago, but got discouraged when he stopped prpoducing parts, and stopped answering his emails.

For anyone interested, I still have the English version of all of his ISS manuals, plus a couple I translated myself . I will host those on my site sometime soon if Raimondo doesn't respond to my pleas.

I have recently begun to complete the station, and have just finished S0 Truss and attached it to Destiny. You can see my progress here:

Index of /iss-paper-model - it's just a directory listing, and the images in it are really only intended for showing Alfonso what I have been up to. Some custom parts I created to make the model stronger.

Now I am rebuilding Z1, and working on the SSRMS (I'm in aware of the SSRMS others have made! I hope mine comes out nicely too.) before I start work on P1 and S1. This because S0 just about caused me to implode with The "Death of a thousand cuts" (See the pic to see what I mean).

I'll be regularly updating that folder (Link above) and will eventually turn it into a web site for my ISSbuild.

Enjoy.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm61 View Post
To all,

Hans has surprised me again by starting this ISS thread, just as he did at the other forum where I'm also a member.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Hans Christian for this wonderful presentation about my website and my current ISS project.
I have to say that Hans is one of those very few forum members, that has followed my work and appreciate what I do since I went online 2 years ago and that's the reason why so many visitors have come to know about my site. Nonetheless, because of the time involved in researching and designing these models I had to find some way of funding this whole project by charging a small amount for each Shuttle payload.
Of course I have noticed that still for many the amount of $ 4.50 is too much. To give a balance to my site, I decided to give away for free other projects such as the Crawler and Mobile Launch Platform and not to mention the whole Shuttle fleet and stack, all for free.
Still, the response is not there.
I really want everybody to have access to all my work and perhaps in the near future I might only ask for a donation.
Hopefully this thread will receive the importance it deserves and many others will continue visiting this page.

Thank you, Hans.

Alfonso
Hi axm, I love your models, I recently finished the crawler and the MLP! that was really fun! I have been trying to get myself started on your ISS, but dang dude, Im gonna' need a lot of time to do it! lol, it looks great, and I will begin building it soon, It will go on display at my old Junior High school, along with other various space models! any chance on designing the 747 to hold the shuttle? I would forever love you! lol jk:D
(Opy's head is on hold)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Hi people,

I thought I should join so I can post a few pictures and join the love-fest for Sir Alfonso! I started building Fortezza's ISS abour 5 years ago, but got discouraged when he stopped prpoducing parts, and stopped answering his emails.

For anyone interested, I still have the English version of all of his ISS manuals, plus a couple I translated myself . I will host those on my site sometime soon if Raimondo doesn't respond to my pleas.

I have recently begun to complete the station, and have just finished S0 Truss and attached it to Destiny. You can see my progress here:

Index of /iss-paper-model - it's just a directory listing, and the images in it are really only intended for showing Alfonso what I have been up to. Some custom parts I created to make the model stronger.

Now I am rebuilding Z1, and working on the SSRMS (I'm in aware of the SSRMS others have made! I hope mine comes out nicely too.) before I start work on P1 and S1. This because S0 just about caused me to implode with The "Death of a thousand cuts" (See the pic to see what I mean).

I'll be regularly updating that folder (Link above) and will eventually turn it into a web site for my ISSbuild.

Enjoy.
Wow that is a GREAT build I must say. I love to see how clean people can make their builds and the modifications they can think of to inprove their models! Great job and keep up the great work.

BTW if you thought the S0 was a million cuts of death try doing the S1 and P1 at the same time right after doing the S0 truss!

Well I wish you luck and hope you continue to build the great models from AXM.
SSM-2007:http://space-shuttle-mission.com
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARVA809 View Post
Hi axm, I love your models, I recently finished the crawler and the MLP! that was really fun! I have been trying to get myself started on your ISS, but dang dude, Im gonna' need a lot of time to do it! lol, it looks great, and I will begin building it soon, It will go on display at my old Junior High school, along with other various space models! any chance on designing the 747 to hold the shuttle? I would forever love you! lol jk:D
Great to have you here and enjoying the AXM models. I also started with building the crawler and MLP after my first orbiter. It was great fun and believe me if you can take all the cutting and time for the Crawler and MLP you will do fine on an ISS. Just have to take your time and do it right.

It is not for sure that there will be a 747 but as far as I know there will be just not anytime soon. AXM's main focus right now is to complete the ISS.

Enjoy.
SSM-2007:http://space-shuttle-mission.com
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy7441 View Post
Great to have you here and enjoying the AXM models. I also started with building the crawler and MLP after my first orbiter. It was great fun and believe me if you can take all the cutting and time for the Crawler and MLP you will do fine on an ISS. Just have to take your time and do it right.

It is not for sure that there will be a 747 but as far as I know there will be just not anytime soon. AXM's main focus right now is to complete the ISS.

Enjoy.
Thanks spaceboy, the 747 was just an Idea, but now that AXM is designing the entire ISS, Im going to have to get started on that soon! I cant wait... I watched the ISS go over a couple nights ago! lol
(Opy's head is on hold)
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Added some pics

Define: Quandary

The decision between working on models or compressing some JPGs, uploading them and posting them for you to see.

I've put up some pics I hope you will enjoy.

Index of /iss-paper-model

Some images of my Magnetic Docking System, and first draft on Quest using fridge magnet material. It works but it isn't strong enough in my view. The final version shows the 9mm diameter neodyium magnets mounted in Zvezda, the ATV and Soyuz. It was my idea to use magnets so that the very fragile components of the ISS could be easily pulled off and safely stored while the main modules are attached to my stand. This will (hopefully) mean the final ISS I hang from the ceiling in my study will be not be damaged too badly.

Some photos of individual modules:

For Kibo I decided to make the JEF removable, and I will also make the ELM in 1:100 and make that removable too. I have some really nice brass tubing with thin walls, and the ID/OD fit perfectly for a nice friction fit. I am considering something similar but with smaller diameter so I can move the SSRMS around teh station to any module I like.

Next to Kibo you can see one of the radiators of Fortezza's I made 5 years ago. I took such great care making these items, I intend using them on the ISS model. They won't droop until the entropic heat death approaches.
I cringe at the thought of having to make at least six more of them!

A draft of the S0 Tripod (rear) mount points is shown also. I can't explain why I didn't use it, except to say it didn't look as elegant, nor have as small a footprint as the first one I made. The version I used, along with the strut mount feet are there too.

Then there's the black-and-white draft version of the Zarya folding panels - which I think came out very nicely. I sent a scan to Alfonso of the folded panel design, and he has said he will use the basic pattern for his own release - which I was very humbled by.

The Bipod Strut Mount paper piece is shown if you care to use it or adopt a similar design. It is a single piece of paper, scored and folded, and with the outer portions colored and rolled so that they fit inside the strut. Then I take a 2mm strip and wrap it around the base above the foot. Seems pretty strong to me... The foot size is the same size as the attachment point marked on Fortezza's Destiny module - about 3mm squared. For your reference, a 5 mm wide strip of 200gm paper rolled tightly into a circular tube with no internal volume (and glued) fits perfectly inside the support struts designed by Alfonso.

Do you get the idea I like to build my models so they are substantially stronger than the plan calls for? Then you'll love the picture of the interior of Node 2. What you can't see inside Node 2 is the 4 circular discs inserted in the other side and a laminated card backing. I think I could almost stand on Node 2 without it breaking.

But Node 2 is the wrong colour. The printer I used had low Cyan, and it came out pinkish. I did wonder about it at the time. STUPID HUMAN! (I use an HP CN4200 colour laser, printing onto 200 gram Xerox paper - the most expensive I could find - about 40 cents per A4 sheet.)

I wracked my brains trying to figure out how to re-clad Node 2 in the right color, and I may try yet. Otherwise I have to rebuild it. Better, faster, stronger. If i do rebuild it. I will document my destruction of Node 2: I want to see how much weight it will support before it crushes. My bet? 40 Kilos.

I want my fully completed model to hang from just 3 attachment points and remain completey straight and true. I have some ideas about the PVAs and what to do about them.

I added 3 pics of the card model of the house I built last year. It is based on Frank Lloyd Wright's first "Usonian" home, built in 1936: Frank Lloyd Wright - The Jacobs House 1936 and if interested in architecture, you might appreciate the thread at the FLW chat: Wright Chat :: View topic - Construction pics of Jacobs-1 derived home in New Zealand

Anyway... That's a whole other story - and a lengthy one.

There's also a shot of the test-fit of Z1/Quest onto Unity/Destiny and S0. It seems to fit nicely. But I have a lot more work to do in the rats nest before I get to put a magnetic dock on Z1. I attached the Z1 fold-down panel directly to Destiny so I could create a realistic rats nest while being able to add and remove Z1 easily.

Quest came out OK too I think. It is almost as strong as Node 2. The people I show my models to at home are stunned at how strong they are. They are solid, baby!

I must admit to making numerous mistakes while making the ISS model, though. Zvezda was my first module, and I glued the back on almost 180 degrees wrong. It's so solid there's no chance at all of resolving it, so Zvezda is upside down in my ISS model. (SHHH - no one except you Space Junkies will ever know.) There are plenty of others, too.

I'll keep posting as I work my way through this MOUNTAIN of printed sheets.

Oh, while I'm here, I should tell you I have some experience with building space stations! You can see my excellent Station design skills below:

I designed this station while high on acid, and mushrooms, and had not slept for 4 days, what with the speed and everything.

There are other, slightly less crazy station designs too: 4sure.co.nz | Space Station Manager downloads | By Chris "Mobius" Davies
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-ssm-crazy.jpg  

Last edited by Mobius; 07-24-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Space Station Payloads

Well I read this entire thread, and went and bought all the payloads. The total was indeed a small price to pay for such a huge undertaking. I guess I will be busy for a while.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Mobius that model is amazing!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Nice build Mobius, I like some of the mods you have done.

I have a question though, why do you not post your photos on the forum, instead of a link to the photos. I just think it's easier to have photos in the thread, rather than opening another explorer page and switching back and forth between your photo page and this thread. I'm not trying to tell you how to post your photos, I just find it easier to look at the photos and read the thread at the same time.

mldixon, you'll have a good time building 'ALL' the payloads, have a look here AXM payload bay and iss builds. This is a thread I haven't updated for a while, couple of photos of the none ISS payloads that Alfonso has released. I started that thread as it wasn't ISS payload related. The plan (hopefully) is to build all the payloads that Alfonso brings out and display them in order of flight history.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks Paul and Obwan10.

I post to my domain because I can. It means the pics are always available from any location, not just in this thread. Plus, the URL will automatically flip to a web site address when I add "index.shtml" to the folder - that way the links will continue to work after I yank the images from that location...

I'm too lazy at this stage to create thumbnails as yet - so you get stuck with having to view the directory listing and using the column sort buttons and vLink color to see the new files...

I spent the weekend on the MBS - and phew, that is one tricky little sucker! I failed twice the first two times I started: I wanted to reinforce the base of the MBS and went overboard the first time, making it too tough to fold, and too thick to work with properly. Then I cocked it up again with a stupid stunt. So, version three made it into production, and the pics are up at Index of /iss-paper-model

Sadly, gluing the MBS onto the MTS is going to wipe out all my incredible detail work on the MTS. I'm almost temped to create a system which would allow me to remove the MBS from the MTS so it can be replaced if it gets damaged. There's too many hours tied up in both parts to simply glue them together.

I still haven't attached the grapple points to the MBS, and I will wait until I have completed some mockups of my idea of how to attach the SSRMS to the MBS and other grapple points on the station. I think I have in my head a system which will pressure fit, based on short brass tubes the base of which have been very slightly squashed. The RMS will have a single brass tube protruding from the center, while the grapple points will have a larger diamater tube embedded within. For the modules, this tube will poke right through the skin by about 1 cm, to allow me to glue it in place securely.

Hopefully, my mind-draft works - but only a small experiment will tell.

I then started on the SSRMS which I wasn't looking forward too - but it turns out that it's not too tricky, provided you don't follow Alfonso's exact design. :P His parts are too large in my view. The arm is stronger and easier to build at a lower diameter, and the pivots can be built from solid rolls of paper for added strength.

So, the first draft of the SSRMS is coming along nicely, but I have no intention of using this one on the station. It's going to be my "hacking-tool" for the grapple points, and it's got glue marks on it (shock horror!).

I completed the magdock for Z1 as well, and the rats nest is now complete.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Mobius; 07-26-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Google Adsense