PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
Sir Paul;

Many thanks sir!!! I'll create a photo diary about my training here later!!!

Sir Alfonso;

Have fun on your vacation sir!!! No need to rush for the truss segments, because time will make them masterpieces!!!

To all of our great guys that are building the model now, please keep this thread posted!!! Many thanks to all!!!

My commercial pilot checkride will be on wednesday... hopefully I can meet the check pilot's standards...
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
hi to the group,
some info on my rebuild of axm's 1/144 iss
i have added so, mbs,and s1
some pics before i added s0
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-iss-001.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-iss-010.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question for the 1:144 scale ISS builders - isn't this edition of the model painfully fiddly? I mean, I'm having enough trouble handling some of the 1:100 bits. Have you guys got like really small fingers, or really large eyes? I think I would really struggle. Anyway: Massive respect for the 144ers!

I am almost finished the JEM-EF component, with modifications (of course). I'm adding round truss parts for the payload bay load points, as the originals are tube cross sections, and I'm also building some extra bits for Kibo and the SSRMS arm as they appear now in the STS 127 images online.

I have a new wallpaper for my PC now too. Here it is:

Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
I'm building the 1/144 scale version, yes, some of the bits are small. But it's ok to build. The only issue I've had up to now has been the side supports for the Radiators for S1 AND S2. I replaced the paper supports with brass rod. Nice and strong now.

Another advantage is the other payload models are 1/144 scale as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1/144

mobius, the 1/144 iss does have some small parts but some of the details on the 1/100 model is not there like the canadarm 2 end effector.
hope this answers your question.
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM

YEs the 1:144 is smaller but don't forget it doesn't have some of the details. The 1:100 is more detailed but a little harder. For example. The end effector on the SRMS is a lot more detailed on the 1:100 version but it would be very difficult to do the detail like that with the smaller scale. It is had enough with the 1:100. The point of this ISS from AXM is to be very simple to build but very detailed at the same time. Hope this helps.
SSM-2007:http://space-shuttle-mission.com
Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Just downloaded STS-119 & STS-127, then my computer at home had a meltdown. I hope all my stuff on the hard drive is recoverable. This matches the camera failure I noted earlier. Ain't we got fun?Happy B-day to all the ISS modelers & thanks Alfonso. have a great vacation. You deserve it.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Yes I agree that the 1/100 is more detailed (more parts), but I wouldn't say a harder build. Yes there are more parts to the model, as spaceboy7441 has said the end effector has more parts, but the smaller parts for the truss's are harder to cut.

I opted to make the 1/144 first because that was the first scale that Alfonso released, I will be building the 1/100 scale model when all the parts for the 1/144 model are finished and built.

As a side note I like all the mods that all you guys are making, but I wanted to try and make my models as Alfonso has released them. Well, thats apart from the brass rad supports.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhbell View Post
I will be building the 1/100 scale model when all the parts for the 1/144 model are finished and built.
WHOA!

I cringe at the thought of having to rebuild a module - but rebuilding the entire station? Wow - that's some serious time investment you'll be making there. I guess some of you guys are modellers who like the ISS, whereas I feel like I am an ISS nut who happens to be making a model.

Can I question you about your PVA brass support design Paul? Do you have any photos of your work and detail about HOW it works? My idea is to use a brass rod down the middle of each rad spar, and braze a diagonal joiner piece so it is a single piece, and stabilise it in the middle somehow (?). To prevent the PVAs themselves from sagging, what I planned to do was insert some tiny pins between the two surfaces of the PVAs so they poke out just far enough to slide into specially made holes in the rad spar, that way only the outside of the PVA panel will need supporting, and a tiny brass tube might work there.

It's my single biggest concern about the whole design (Well, that and the way the SARJ supports the PVAs - seems like quite a bit of stress is going to be handled by that joint). If I can manage it, I want the arrays to be completely self supporting, and totally flat, with the model suspended from the ends of P1/S1. Am I dreaming?

Perhaps I should talk to an engineer!

Would anyone hazard a guess as to how many people are building/have built/made a start on the ISS model components (and I'm talking all variants here) around the globe? We would seem (to me) to be a very very very small group of people. I would be surprised to learn that more than 100 people have attempted some parts of this model - but I would be very happy to be very surprised!

One of the things I am greatly enjoying about the build is that I am learning so much about the ISS as I go along. Pouring over images of the parts, both in design and build stage, as well as the deployed configuration has meant finding out a lot of information I otherwise wouldn't have had. And, knowing the names of most of the parts is helpful too, to explain to people what the various bits are.

Have a gerat day all.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

mobius. it's not all bad for having to repeat a station i did the 1/144 one 3x.:o
Google Adsense