PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Some progress on my rebuild. Unity from MARS Center with some of the detail from AXM. PMAs from AXM, using the docking ring (cylindrical part) from MARS. Z1 truss from MARS with the SGANT antenna and other detail from AXM, and the AXM P6 truss (under construction). I decided to do these in order of assembly, minus the Russian section for which I'm awaiting sir Alfonso's offerings. I won't attach the P6 on top of Z1, though. It's not there any longer. Luckily, I won't have to permanently attach the solar arrays to P6. Those suckers are huge and somewhat fragile. They'll each be around 14.25" X 4.25" when done. They're meant to slip into the cylinders already mounted to the top of P6 and freely rotate. The solar array wing span will be 29.25" when complete and mounted. Then, there's the one extended radiator panel I'll attach, which seems even more fragile than the solar arrays, though smaller. I'll keep the other radiators shown in their folded configuration. In fact, I glued them down, even though they were meant to detach in order to change between folded and extended configurations.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-100_1579.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1580.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1581.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1582.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1583.jpg  

The International Space Station Thread-100_1584.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1585.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1586.jpg  

Currently working on: ISS

Last edited by lee4752; 03-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
wow... just WOW!!!

Hey guys, check out sir Alfonso's site, he designed a -for kids- ISS card model!!! Perfect for school science projects and discussions!!! To any teachers out there, go get a copy!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 PM

That darn gravity

The solar array panels are suffering some pretty severe saging effects from being deployed in a hostile environment - one with gravity. I came up with a solution, though. I glued a clear tab on the midpoint on the array mid subtruss to both sides of the array panel using Aleene's clear gel glue. the non-porous plastic viewfoil material didn't want to stick. It eventually did after holding it for about 45 minutes. I think the mostly complete solar array is just a test prototype, though. After all, it's only paper. On my next attempt, I;ll cut some slots in the subtruss and pass the clear tab through it. Then I'll trap the tab between the two paper layers of the panel. The single tab at the midpoint helped quite a bit, but I'll use three total for even better support.
The other option is to have the Kansas Cosmosphere obtain NASA's C-9A "Vomit Comet" to display the model for short periods in a zero G environment. They could charge around $1500 per ticket (assuming a full plane) to see the model as it is meant to be seen. Now, who wouldn't jump at the chance. That's an awful lot less than the 20 million odd bucks to ride to the real space station.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-100_1587.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1588.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-100_1589.jpg  

Last edited by lee4752; 03-06-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 PM

I have devised a method to prevent sagging of the PVAs, I'll show them when I proceed with the other PVAs...

meanwhile, here's sir Alfonso's STS-119 payload!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM

I'd really like to see what to do about the PVAs. They're ripping themselves apart from their own weight. I'm now trying Dr Fortezza's P6 to see if he had an answer. Sir Alfonso posted an update for the P6 PVAs this weekend. I haven't tried it yet.
BTW, what glue should I use for plastic view foil material? I think it's acetate.

Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 AM

I used super glue on the acetate part (the telescopic boom), it didn't fogged as much as I have expected, and it made the entire structure more rigid...

here's my blogsite about the model, still in progress, next update will be for the STS-104 mission (the addition of the airlock)

Workbench - 1/100 scale International Space Station (in progress album)

and a quick update from sir Alfonso!

new and improved CBM hatches and petals
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi to all,

Yes, this is an update to the hatches. Now they will resemble like the real hardware.

Now, there is something else I need to inform to all, and it's about the dimensions.
Those who are building the MarsCenter models can compare my modules and everybody will agree that they don't match in size. Well, it's too late for me to realize that I should've used the NASA's ISS drawings. Instead, I used other sources that gave me different measurements. An example: Most of the sources I have, show that the diameter of Nodes 1, 2 and 3 is 14 feet. When you convert 14 feet to millimeters 1:100 scale, you get 42.6 mm.
But NASA's drawings indicate that the diameter is 44 mm.

All my NODES 1 and 2, Columbus, Destiny, Kibo and JEM logistic module are based on 42.6 mm. But the real measurement should be around 44 mm.
That's why you see MarsCenter modules a little bigger in width compared to my models.
Anybody who would like to comment about this feel free to do it. I accept all comments.
I have decided to update all these modules and release them as soon as possible. I know people are saying after all this work for nothing and now more time to build them again. Well, if 2 mm don't make a difference to you, no problem. But for those who are very picky and want to have a more accurate station, will have the updated modules to do it. The trusses are OK and won't be changed.

For me it's a big problem because it will slow my progress with other models, but that's my decision to go for the updates.

The Unity model that you all have seen in my latest release of the hatches shows a new Unity. Look close at the details and compare with the old Unity you all have. This one has accurate measurements and new hatches and it's ready for release later today.

Alfonso
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

I had commented about the size difference, but I didn't expect a revision of the model to come out of it. Cheers to you Alfonso. I'd still like to see the Russian section and the remainder of the Truss (P3/4, P5, S3/4, & S5) soon. No rush, next week will be fine:D
I haven't been able to work on the model for the last few weeks. Cub Scout Pinewood Derby and tax season are about done, so I'll get back to it soon. I'll post pictures of the PW derby racers in another thread.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
nice build
Old 05-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
iss

nice i am currently building s1/p1 now
Google Adsense