PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
A very good work, I mean...
Perhaps I will build the same in the future....

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Thank you Michael. Do not be surprised if there are problems at the Z1-structure. The black cylinder (gyroscope?) on the back do not fit. I've left out and covered the holes with the self-made isolation. It only needs a paper towel a little bit glue and white paint.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Indeed. I had no trouble assembling Raimondo Fortezza's PMA parts, but I have been completely and totally unable to build a solid PMA using Alfonso's design. I must have tried at least 6 times, and all 6 have been dismal failures.

I think the issue with the (more accurate) PMAs of Alfonso, is that they actually DO displace the docking ring from the center of the node, whereas Raimondo's do not.

I think I may actually carve a piece of balsa wood into the shape of the proper PMA, and then glue the paper to it. Or something like that.

My assessment of the PMAs is that they need to be about as strong as concrete, in order to prevent one collapsing when the model is assembled.

I have always gone to extreme pains to make my parts extremely strong, with such silly modifications as:

and

and

and

and my experimental Magnetic Docking system:

You can see all my mods at Index of /iss-paper-model
i still have no problems w/ axm's PMAs they are strong enough to hold zarya up w/ no support.(and i haven't used crazy glue.)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM

mobius will think i have gone crazy, but i might redo my 1/144th ISS for the 5th(?) time, and maybe the 1/100th
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewalker View Post
Thankīs for honor! I donīt now wehn i do the Spaceshuttle, to complete the assemble. The instructions from Fortezza makes me crazy. I need a break to buildt two models for my Son. He is a great fan of spaceflight.

greetings from germany, spacewalker
Indeed. I don't know how long I spent on Raimondo's Shuttle, but it was at LEAST 150 hours, and I have not yet completed the shuttle bay doors, or the robot arms! Let me tell you that this model takes a very great deal of technical expertise to do well.

The real problem areas are the wing and the rear OMS modules. I spent a great deal of time reinforcing the interior of the wing structure itself, and a very long time forming the actual wing unit itself. Attaching the wing presents some unique challenges: you must glue two sections over 8 inches long over the entire length of the fuselage at the same time!

This is what I did to make it much much easier: I glued headless matches underneath the gluign tabs on the body of the shuttle, so that it was possible to put good pressure on these tabs when gluing. Without stable and firm gluing tabs there is not a viable way to secure the wing structure to the shuttle without making a real mess of it.

Then there is the nose section: I compromised the design and excluded the OMS nozzles, leaving them out entirely, as this forward section is quite complex. I filed down a set of artery forceps so that they have no serrations on the jaws, and used these to hold many of the gluing job in place. I also used a lot of reinforcing inside it to stabilise the shape.

I also specifically did NOT implement the movable flaps on both the wings and the tail section: this simplified the build considerably.

Good Luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Back on the job!

ALRIGHT! I AM BACK INTO MY ISS MODELLING!

After a very long hiatus, I am now back into the modelling once again! I am completing S1, and the rad-panels, and have almost completed Poisk and Pirs, and once again, I am using my magnetic docking system on all components. Primarily so I can repair or replace them when they get smooshed. And I know they will get smooshed at some point. Most likely by Yours Truly.

I can't wait to see Alfonso's AMS unit looks like, and because it's been so long since I was working, there is a huge amount of work to do now!

I excited to be working again, and once again, I'll be modifying things as I go along, and documenting them for you here, for your interest and edification.

I'll post pics (and a movie!) soon. Cheers all: Chris/Mobius
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Just found this post and I would like to say.... you are doing a great job on your build. I have built the ISS 1/100 three times and am now building the 1.144 scale for a friend.

Keep up the great work my friend.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
I have built the ISS 1/100 three times
And I thought I was insane.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM

im going for my second when i get new ink, but 3??!!!!!!!!great respect!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Believe me, I didn't want to build it three times. I built it down in Texas and when I moved up to Arkansas the guy helping us move crushed it. So after I got settled in up here I built it again. Well we have a smart cat that knows how to open a side sliding window and did one night right before a rain storm. The ISS was sitting on my work bench right under the window. Well we got a turd floater of a rain storm and low and behold the model got soaked. By now I am good at building this thing so it didn't take me but half a year to build the last one. I still have a few things to finish on it but it is 99% complete and up to date.